Poll: Do you believe my brother should have reported my wandering neighbor to the police?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do you believe he was correct?

This morning my brother saw our neighbors child walking alone in the front of their house. He is maybe a year to a year and a half and seems to be an inquisitive little boy.

After returning the child to his mother my brother comes home and says nothing but then leaves and files a police report against our neighbor for what I can only assume is child endangerment.

Do you believe that he was right in bringing the police in on this matter?

She has never seemed like a bad mother though when we were in school together she had issues for sure. I am of the school that people deserve a second chance and I believe my brother is not giving her a second chance since now the Child Protective Services will most likely get involved.

I believe you put this in the wrong forums

warning first ... "next time i'll see you child walking alone i'll call the services"

i probably do that.

Oh I am sorry. This is my first forum thread and I swear I had posted it in Off-Topic. Please, would a moderator move this to the correct forum? Thank you.

your brother was correct to do what he did, better to report it and nothing happening than think "meh... it won't happen again" and have the kid walk into traffic and get killed

15+ Year Old Account
    Absurd user name aside, I would have done the same. Child Neglect. That would be a felony under certain circumstances, depending on where you live, traffic, time of day, etc.

If it's the first time then I do think that reporting it was a bit too much, he probably should of just talked to the kids parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I envy America because there's more opportunity and generally more wealth than in my country.

And sometimes I'm glad that I don't live there. Child protection services for letting your kid walk in the front yard?

They have no f***ing business interfering in people's lives unless the parents are abusing their child or addicted to drugs or something of the sort.

"We know what is good for your family! Obey the will of the Overmind!"

Sheesh.

Just talk to the parents and remind them there's such a thing as cars and traffic. Police... Seriously...
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    I think it was the right decision tbh. Imagine if he gives her one more chance and the kid gets hurt!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea i think he should have given the mother a second chance those things can happen. Also in front of a house is a broad term is there a street near the house or is there a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    Sometimes I envy America because there's more opportunity and generally more wealth than in my country.

And sometimes I'm glad that I don't live there. Child protection services for letting your kid walk in the front yard?

They have no f***ing business interfering in people's lives unless the parents are abusing their child or addicted to drugs or something of the sort.

"We know what is good for your family! Obey the will of the Overmind!"

Sheesh.

Just talk to the parents and remind them there's such a thing as cars and traffic. Police... Seriously...
    I'm not an American either, but I would like to point out that there might be more to the story than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnn View Post
    I started playing the game when I was 11 during BC. I actually discovered jacking off and came for the first time during a Gruul's Lair raid with my guild!

Deleted
    Yes, he was wrong. This isn't a situation that happened before nor did he have any reason to think something is wrong in the family. Your bro reminds me of those Chronic Reporters calling the police over anything they think it's wrong, no matter how stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathanis View Post
    I'm not an American either, but I would like to point out that there might be more to the story than that.
    Well I can only judge by what the OP said. Otherwise I would be delving into the realm of speculation and fantasy.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

not enough information

People are way to over protective these days. If this would have happened where I live, people would have just returned the child and kept on living their lives.

your brother's name is Spanish Inquisition?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atree496 View Post
    People are way to over protective these days. If this would have happened where I live, people would have just returned the child and kept on living their lives.
    Over protective? Sounds more like nosy and holier-than-thou.

This thread reminds of George Carlin's rants/sketches about American society/prissiness/political correctness for some reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by timbli View Post
    your brother's name is Spanish Inquisition?
    Nah, he's just following the north korean government program "Report your neighbour, he may be an enemy of the state"

There are two streets that meet at an intersection a few houses from theirs. This is the first time it has happened and we haven't had issues with this family for over 10 years. Assuming this will lead to a giant chitstorm.

Yeah my brother is like those people who will call the cops for whatever stupid reason he can think of. He took a few classes in criminology and since then he is mr. magoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Yes, your neighbor is lucky it was your brother who found the kid and not a pedophile. There's no 2nd chance if something bad happens to your child, and nothing says L2parent more than visit from the cops.

But then again I might be paranoid.