Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Thoughts on P90X?

I'm an 18 year old, weighing 165. I relied on my good genes and lean frame to keep my cut look, but now I'm starting to lose my abs, my biceps are slowly losing their cut, and I feel unhealthy. I bought P90X recently and am currently waiting for it to arrive. I plan on purchasing any supplement/mix and food to increase the overall effect (money isn't an issue).

Please leave any suggestions on your experiences, and tips that can help mine. Also, your opinions on the program.

It's a good program, but like all high-intensity workout programs it does rely on you giving it everything you can and pushing yourself. It's also long - over an hour nearly every day (And an hour and a half on Yoga), so be sure you've got a good chunk of time in your day to invest.

Didn't order any of the supplement, so I can't comment there.

The recipes in the food book aren't half bad, which was nice. Different than what I was used to, to be sure, but still pretty good. Oh, and I suppose that's another thing. If you're going all the way with this, you'll be spending a lot of time making food on top of that hour plus workout. In case I didn't make the point - P90X is a huge time investment to go all the way :P

Time isn't an issue. I would rather spend all day everyday improving my body. My health is worth the time put in.

Honestly, I recommend a good pair of runningshoes. And maybe something basic to read about food and nutrients, so you can eat a normal healthy diet.

Screw "miracle-machines", instruction-DVDs och the witch brew supplements. Just keep it simple.
    "I like to tank pugs. It toughens me up and makes my skin as thick as my armour." - mouseno4

If time isn't an issue, than this will work out well for you. I'm going to be getting back into it soon (Hell of a lot going on lately), and my father has been using it for some time now. The guy is a freaking bear now. At over fifty, he's in better shape than I've ever been, even in my sports days.

It really is a good system. It encourages good eating with good food, lots of exercise, and overall intensity. Definitely a good pickup.

My only issue will be the movitavation, however I feel that once I see results I'll be more motivated than I was starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiik View Post
    I bought P90X recently and am currently waiting for it to arrive.
    What exactly do you get from the $39.95 x 3 that you can't get when you download from the internet?

Sure if you have too much money you rather have the books, but downloading is still faster
    Last edited by revodka; 2011-06-26 at 02:13 PM.

If you're actually going to buy the system you might as well go buy a 3 month membership to the gym, surf the web, and actually find workouts/health regimes that are good for you. A. It will provide better results for lifting in the end, if you're willing to learn the correct techniques/workouts/howtos, and it will B. teach you alot about your body and whats good and bad for it, why you're eating everything etc. etc. P90x is essentially an at home gym, to a point, but you'd most realistically get a significantly better physique and lifestyle by going out on your own learning all of this and hitting a real gym. I've done it, i know several people who have done it and those in my family as well, it's a good program but don't exactly expect to go from nothing to OMGWTFRIPPED in 3 months unless you're one of those people whos got just enough fat to hide all that muscle they really have.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-06-26 at 02:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vane View Post
    Honestly, I recommend a good pair of runningshoes. And maybe something basic to read about food and nutrients, so you can eat a normal healthy diet.

Screw "miracle-machines", instruction-DVDs och the witch brew supplements. Just keep it simple.
    Actually dont run its bad for your body and has been scientifically deteriorate more muscles in your leg than help your body over all. the human body has evolved past running so now it doesnt handle it right. P90X works my dad does them and he has been doing triathalons since the 80's
    Last edited by Blastit; 2011-06-26 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo

I've used/own P90X. Tony Horton does a great job with the workouts. They're just as hard as you make them. I'd very much recommend getting a partner or something so you guys can push each other. That will really help with the motivation.

The nutrition plan is something I'm not too keen on. By Phase 3 it basically has you carb loading, which I find entirely unnecessary. It has you giving up way too much protein for muscle growth/repair just to give it sugar. Not a good trade off. So be wary about that. Do some research and find a good fit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    Actually dont run its bad for your body and has been scientifically deteriorate more muscles in your leg than help your body over all. the human body has evolved past running so now it doesnt handle it right. P90X works my dad does them and he has been doing triathalons since the 80's
    not to be rude but... how A. where's your information, and B. how does it make any logical sense that our body has evolved past running? Evolution is something that occurs over millions of years, and last time i checked our ancestors today and 10,000 years ago ran alot and did it quite well. In fact we're one of the few animals out there that can go run for 100 miles straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiik View Post
    I'm an 18 year old, weighing 165. I relied on my good genes and lean frame to keep my cut look, but now I'm starting to lose my abs, my biceps are slowly losing their cut, and I feel unhealthy. I bought P90X recently and am currently waiting for it to arrive. I plan on purchasing any supplement/mix and food to increase the overall effect (money isn't an issue).

Please leave any suggestions on your experiences, and tips that can help mine. Also, your opinions on the program.
    It is hard and will work you to the bone. I do it on top of going to the gym for an hour, so I probably over do it, but I feel really good after, but it's hard to keep dedicated. You need to have some hard balls to keep at it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

P90x is a waste. If you're going to work out, it's all about dedication. If you don't have the willpower to work out, then what will some $39.95 dvd change? It is in no conceivable way better than going to a gym

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    not to be rude but... how A. where's your information, and B. how does it make any logical sense that our body has evolved past running? Evolution is something that occurs over millions of years, and last time i checked our ancestors today and 10,000 years ago ran alot and did it quite well. In fact we're one of the few animals out there that can go run for 100 miles straight.
    you didnt come of as rude. My Dad's Friend, Jerry Montabano, happens to also be a marathon runner. He has at 4 surgeries since 2000 because he runs so much the cartilage in his feet and knees is almost gone. He has a deskjob so he doesnt do anything intensive to help it. Xile ask any marathon runner we cant run 100 miles with out or body losing all control over muscles that usually results in losing the control of your bowels where you defecate your self uncontrollably

Quote Originally Posted by Quinwazwaz View Post
    P90x is a waste. If you're going to work out, it's all about dedication. If you don't have the willpower to work out, then what will some $39.95 dvd change? It is in no conceivable way better than going to a gym
    I go to the gym and I use p90x, downloaded it from a torrent
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I go to the gym and I use p90x, downloaded it from a torrent
    stop there. ive gotten banned for mentioning downloading from torr----

Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    you didnt come of as rude. My Dad's Friend, Jerry Montabano, happens to also be a marathon runner. He has at 4 surgeries since 2000 because he runs so much the cartilage in his feet and knees is almost gone. He has a deskjob so he doesnt do anything intensive to help it. Xile ask any marathon runner we cant run 100 miles with out or body losing all control over muscles that usually results in losing the control of your bowels where you defecate your self uncontrollably
    There are several ultra marathon runners that manage over 100 mile races amazingly enough. and i understand the issue about getting hurt from running but i mean like you said hes what been running for at least 30 years? there are very few things that you can do for 30 years straight that dont cause issues. Running is very safe for a majority of the people who will do it. And citing a single incident of someone getting hurt isn't representative of the majority. But i do promise you people can run in excess of 100 miles lol without literally shitting themselves, not everyone mind you, but not everyone can go deadlift 1000 pounds either. We're human, the sad part is that we expect all of this working out to help us in life, and of course for the majority of us it will significantly, but pro athletes astoundingly enough have hundreds of health problems. I know the pro-football player in america on average will die long before the expected age, pushing your body for too long, too hard at anything will kill you. Moderation is the key obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    There are several ultra marathon runners that manage over 100 mile races amazingly enough. and i understand the issue about getting hurt from running but i mean like you said hes what been running for at least 30 years? there are very few things that you can do for 30 years straight that dont cause issues. Running is very safe for a majority of the people who will do it. And citing a single incident of someone getting hurt isn't representative of the majority. But i do promise you people can run in excess of 100 miles lol without literally shitting themselves, not everyone mind you, but not everyone can go deadlift 1000 pounds either. We're human, the sad part is that we expect all of this working out to help us in life, and of course for the majority of us it will significantly, but pro athletes astoundingly enough have hundreds of health problems. I know the pro-football player in america on average will die long before the expected age, pushing your body for too long, too hard at anything will kill you. Moderation is the key obviously.
    i see where you re coming from i respect your opinion

Deleted
    P90X is decent for endurance and burning some calories.
    You'll probably get some strength improvement too, but it's not at all efficient for that.

I liked it, I'm just not so good at doing work outs at home, mostly because I don't have much room to do it.