Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    P90X is probably the only infomercial training program that works.
    I remember it all too well

P90X is an amazing program. I was already in a good muscular shape (5'6 165 pounds) to begin with, but when I finished the program I became very lean and muscular. Went down to about 155. If you are looking to really lose weight and have a very cut physique then this is a great program. If your main focus is losing weight, getting cut, AND packing on some series muscle mass then this is not really the greatest. I am more into mass building so losing that 10 pounds of muscle really sucked. There is too much cardio involved, but that is a great thing for anyone trying to cut some series fat. I say your weight at the moment is great for just getting into the gym and hitting a tight 4 day split weight training regime. You will see results in no time.

If you end up enjoying P90X after the 90 days and want a real intense workout I would recommend the Insanity videos that Beachbody does as well. I finished P90X and then moved into the Insanity workouts and they will kick your ass.

I would only suggest it if you don't think you have the self control to work out on your own on a regular basis. You can gain muscle or lose weight quicker and better on your own, but that also requires a lot more motivation. The great thing about P90X is it has the "have to move to the next video" aspect added in, which can motivate somebody that may not have normally pushed themselves.

Me not knowing what P90X was; I came here, read the original post and still thought the OP was talking about the P90 assault rifle.

It led to much confusion, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    P90X is decent for endurance and burning some calories.
    You'll probably get some strength improvement too, but it's not at all efficient for that.
    Not unless you plan on disregarding the diet plan entirely and go buy 100+ dollars worth of weights

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 02:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fayedra View Post
    P90X is an amazing program. I was already in a good muscular shape (5'6 165 pounds) to begin with, but when I finished the program I became very lean and muscular. Went down to about 155. If you are looking to really lose weight and have a very cut physique then this is a great program. If your main focus is losing weight, getting cut, AND packing on some series muscle mass then this is not really the greatest. I am more into mass building so losing that 10 pounds of muscle really sucked. There is too much cardio involved, but that is a great thing for anyone trying to cut some series fat. I say your weight at the moment is great for just getting into the gym and hitting a tight 4 day split weight training regime. You will see results in no time.
    Part of me wonders how much in gods name you can bench, I'm your height and weight a good 30 pounds less than you and can max at 225 (on the bench)jesus lol.

It's really amazing.

You're not going to get OMFGjacked from doing it but you're going to be healthy and you're going to be cut. There are some benefits to it over working out at a gym:
    • You pay for it once and you have it forever. Simply restart the program after 90 days and you're good to go forever. Gyms cost monthly.
    • You are literally in your workout area when you're in your living room. It's MUCH easier to get started and stick with it.
    • Similarly, weather will never affect your workout. If it's snowing outside, you can still workout.
    • You get results and you get them fast. Like, seriously fast. By the end of the first week you're going to see and feel the results.
    • You don't have to deal with guys trying to correct your form or attempting to impart their "wisdom" onto you. You don't have people watching you, or judging you. It's you and the TV.
    • Tony's pretty funny.
    • Despite what most negative Nancy's here are saying, it works. You'll absolutely be stronger but more importantly, you'll definitely be healthier and you'll definitely look good. Like I said, you're not going to be jacked like Brock Lessnar but you'll have nice, lean, cut, sexy muscle to show off. You won't be as strong as a gym rat muscle-head, but you'll be much more nimble, athletic and quick.
    • Your flexibility will sky rocket. This alone makes you feel infinitely better.
    I do the routine without the supplements. I simply drink some chocolate milk after a workout and I've been good to go. I'm stronger every workout, constantly packing more and more weight and reps into my routine. My cardio is getting more intense with each session and my fat is literally melting away. Each day I'm able to notice a part of my body that's getting a bit more tone and a bit firmer.

I'm a HUGE believer in the whole p90 system and because of it, I'll never join another gym again. It's literally a waste of money in my eyes.

Come home from work, spend 20 minutes cooking some dinner, eat it, digest for two hours, get my workout in and I'm all set for the night. Wake up feeling amazing and confident.

Deleted
    I'm a HUGE believer in the whole p90 system and because of it, I'll never join another gym again. It's literally a waste of money in my eyes.
    You can actually make strength and muscle gains at the gym though.
    P90x can only take you so far, it's great for people not into fitness because it holds their hand, but if you're already somewhat knowledgeable about diet and exercise you should save your money.

It accomplishes nothing weightlifting and cardio could do with the right diet.

You can actually make strength and muscle gains at the gym though.
    P90x can only take you so far, it's great for people not into fitness because it holds their hand, but if you're already somewhat knowledgeable about diet and exercise you should save your money.

It accomplishes nothing weightlifting and cardio could do with the right diet.
    There's a huge difference though. Both lifting weights in the gym and doing p90x will accomplish strength. You will be as strong if you put the effort into either. The type of strength, however, is different. A gym rat will be much stronger when it comes to do single motions such as lifting a particular weight. A p90x person is likely going to be stronger in day-to-day activities, in addition to being far leaner and much more flexible (assuming time invested is the same.) Strength is NOT solely based on "I can lift XX". It's encompassing of vigor, physical strength, flexibility and more.

Now, you're missing an important distinction between body building and what p90x does. P90x is NOT body building: it's sculpting and getting you healthy, quickly and efficiently. If you want to body build, you don't do P90: you go to the gym and become a meat head. If you want more useful fitness, while being lean, hard, healthy and athletic, you go and do p90.

P90X is for people who want to be athletic and cut. Body building is for people who want to be jacked and strong in terms of physical strength only.

I've done both: I body built all throughout college and for a year afterward. It took MUCH longer to get results from it and it was a much greater effort going out of my way to go to the gym, working out, driving home with sore and wobbly arms and legs. I'm on my second go-through for P90X and my gains are far, far, FAR greater in terms of fat-loss; overall health; lean, hard muscle; conditioning; overall fitness; flexibility and my enjoyment of exercising.

Different tools for different results.

As for overall cost, after a year P90X costs less than a gym membership if you count the membership fees, time spent driving to and from the gym, gas and wear and tear on your car, etc.

I love p90x, because I don't have to go to the gym and listen to meathead douchnozzles think that they have a clue about working out/fitness/being healthy. It's a really great program, I've lost 73lbs doing it and am in literally the best shape of my life.

The money you save on a gym membership alone makes it worth it. You can do it from the comfort of your own home, on your own time.

BRING IT.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

Most video workout systems work. The only thing that truly matters in the way of results is your diet.

15+ Year Old Account

it works

It really works, I lost 60 pounds of fat with that program, its really hard when you first try it ... but if you do invest time in it, it pays off big time.
    Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

It depends what you want, and from your post I think it sounds pretty good for you. But like other people have said Dedication > a DVD. If you just wanna stay 'cut' its pretty good but if you're looking to gain muscle mass Gym + a proper routine would probably get you further. Also Abs are down to a low body fat % you can have abs from cardio and no weight training at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    Most video workout systems work. The only thing that truly matters in the way of results is your diet.
    I'd like to challenge that, actually. The ONLY thing I've changed about my diet is limiting myself to one can of soda a day. I still eat at McDonalds/Wendys/whatever at least once a week and, aside from chicken as often as possible, don't bother counting calories or anything of the sort yet with P90X I'm absolutely melting the fat right off.

Now, it could be that I'm burning hundreds of calories a workout and that's completely offsetting my shitty diet, I dunno. But I'm still getting results while eating however the hell I feel like eating that day.

It depends what you want, and from your post I think it sounds pretty good for you. But like other people have said Dedication > a DVD. If you just wanna stay 'cut' its pretty good but if you're looking to gain muscle mass Gym + a proper routine would probably get you further. Also Abs are down to a low body fat % you can have abs from cardio and no weight training at all.
    I agree, it depends on what you want out of working out.

Gym'll get you looking like http://files.splinder.com/5bb0298511...794e5a375.jpeg while P90X will get you looking like http://www.p90xresultsworkout.com/wp...orward-625.jpg. I personally (as well as my wife) prefer the second picture.

That said, I'm in agreement with everyone here: P90X will NOT get you looking like the guy in the first picture. It's not what it's intended to do nor will you get those results through any measure of the word. The guy in the second picture is likely not as physically strong as the first guy, but he's absolutely more flexible, nimble, athletic and probably is better conditioned.
    Last edited by vossvicks; 2011-07-03 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vossvicks;12105015
    Gym'll get you looking like [URL
    http://files.splinder.com/5bb0298511355e7edc7e816794e5a375.jpeg[/URL] while P90X will get you looking like http://www.p90xresultsworkout.com/wp...orward-625.jpg. I personally (as well as my wife) prefer the second picture.

That said, I'm in agreement with everyone here: P90X will NOT get you looking like the guy in the first picture. It's not what it's intended to do nor will you get those results through any measure of the word. The guy in the second picture is likely not as physically strong as the first guy, but he's absolutely more flexible, nimble, athletic and probably is better conditioned.
    Not an expert, but the first dude seems to have a hell of a lot muscle than the second one. But it's not just that, it also looks like the second one's fat to muscle ratio is worse than the first one's. Just look at his torso, he's like a fucking hourglass.

I dont' approve of either's physique, just not agreeing about the second one being more conditioned.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    Not an expert, but the first dude seems to have a hell of a lot muscle than the second one. But it's not just that, it also looks like the second one's fat to muscle ratio is worse than the first one's. Just look at his torso, he's like a fucking hourglass.

I dont' approve of either's physique, just not agreeing about the second one being more conditioned.
    the first one is on roids, the other one is natural, meaning it is way more healthy!
    Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawlisse View Post
    the first one is on roids, the other one is natural, meaning it is way more healthy!
    What?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vossvicks View Post
    I'd like to challenge that, actually. The ONLY thing I've changed about my diet is limiting myself to one can of soda a day. I still eat at McDonalds/Wendys/whatever at least once a week and, aside from chicken as often as possible, don't bother counting calories or anything of the sort yet with P90X I'm absolutely melting the fat right off.

Now, it could be that I'm burning hundreds of calories a workout and that's completely offsetting my shitty diet, I dunno. But I'm still getting results while eating however the hell I feel like eating that day.

I agree, it depends on what you want out of working out.

Gym'll get you looking like http://files.splinder.com/5bb0298511...794e5a375.jpeg while P90X will get you looking like http://www.p90xresultsworkout.com/wp...orward-625.jpg. I personally (as well as my wife) prefer the second picture.

You could have chosen more realistic pictures.
    First guy is clearly on steroids.
    Also I find it hard to believe the second guy got his muscles from bodyweight exercises so I'm guessing he lifted at some point, either before during or after P90x.
    I'd also like to know how you'd make the statement that the second guy is "more flexible, nimble, athletic and probably is better conditioned."

I'm not bashing P90x, it's decent for shedding unnecessary fat and getting you "in shape" but it's not going to build you a significant amount of muscle or get you "strong" which is fine because that may not be the goal of many people.

but it's not going to build you a significant amount of muscle or get you "strong"
    Blatantly false.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vossvicks View Post
    Blatantly false.
    Post some facts to back up that statement.
    Bodyweight exercises can only take you so far, as I have previously said.
    Your body will build muscle until it can do those bodyweight exercises effectively.
    Unless you are 200-300lbs that isn't going to be much.

If you want muscles to get larger you need to induce muscular hypertrophy.
    The best way to do this is with progressive overload, that is the gradual increase of stress placed upon the body during exercise training.
    The most effective way to progressively overload your muscles is with weightlifting. You can very easily add weight to a barbell or dumbbell or machine.

Also being able to do 100 push-ups does not necessarily mean you are "strong" it means you have good muscular endurance for doing push-ups.
    Being "Strong" has different meanings to different people but lifting heavy-ass weights is generally a good measure of strength.

That said if P90x can get people to exercise and get in shape (At least for 90 days) then that's great.