Deleted

Focus, target and modifier macros for beginners.

Macros for beginners.
    I'll explain a little about macros, but won't go into details to much so it's easy to understand.

I'll explain 2 ways to start your macro.
    /cast and /use both of them can be used for spells(melee ability's also count as spells, Sinister Strike for example), mounts, trinket, parachute cloak or even items from your inventory. There is just one little difference between them.
    /cast will use your equipped trinket, but if it's not equipped it will do nothing. Where as /use will equip the trinket and use it.
    Now you know how to start a macro, and to finish it all you do is add the spell/item you want it to use behind it like in the example below.
    /cast blind

Now we'll move on to making the macro actually useful, adding lines.
    We'll discuss 2 things you can add. Making the spell cast on a different target then the one you are selecting, and making it do something else when you hold down shift(or any other modifier key).

To cast something on different target then your main target you have to add [target=name] or [target=focus].
    [target=name] will cast the spell on the target who's name you have filled in, and [target=focus] will cast it on your focus target.
    If there isn't anyone with the name you filled in in range, or you have no focus target it won't do anything.
    A example for both is given below.
    /cast [target=rearz] blind
    /cast [target=focus] blind

To make the macro do something else when you hold down a modifier key(shift, ctrl or alt) we're gonna add [mod:shift], [mod:ctrl] or [mod:alt].
    This is pretty straightforward, you add it on the same we did previously, between /cast and your spell so it looks like the example below.
    /cast [mod:shift] blind
    But this isn't enough for it to be actually worth making the macro, as you might as well just keybind it with shift at this point. To actually make it useful and safe some space we're gonna have to add something the macro will do when the modifier key isn't pressed. To do this you add ; behind it and then the name of the spell/item you want it to use when you don't press the modifier key like in the example below.
    /cast [mod:shift] blind; kick
    The macro will now use kick if you press it without holding shift, and cast blind if you hold down shift.

Now comes the fun part, combining the two. We're gonna make it so that if we don't press shift the macro will cast blind on my main target and if i press shift it will cast it on our focus target. To achieve this we are gonna combine [mod:shift] and [target=focus]. You can't just put those two together and make it work, we're gonna have to remove the ] and [ and add , like in the example below.
    [mod:shift,target=focus]
    But we want it to cast blind, so we will have to add the rest as well like in the example below.
    /cast [mod:shift,target=focus] blind; blind
    And there you go. It will now cast blind on the target you have selected when pressing it and cast it on your focus target when holding down shift.

I hope this helps.
    Have fun making your own macros.
    Greetings from Rearz

Deleted
    Just why do people _never_ read stickies.

Deleted
    Because it's way to much info for basic macros. I was bored and wrote down how to do it for everyone to understand.
    I know it's explained very detailed already, but some people might not understand it because it's so detailed.
    And yes i know, everyone should be able to understand it as it's written pretty basic as well.
    But then again, people should be able to move out of fires as well, yet there's a ton of people stuck at 4/12 T11.
    Last edited by mmoc765d39b358; 2011-06-26 at 04:16 PM.

Deleted
    Try [code][/code] tags. And some structuring would be nice too.

PS:
    Where as /use will equip the trinket and use it.
    Nope. Trinkets go on a 30(?) sec CD when equipped.

Deleted
    Rearz, do u happen to be a rogue on EU-Auchindoun?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suff View Post
    Rearz, do u happen to be a rogue on EU-Auchindoun?
    Yes, that happens to be me. Did the use of blind in those macros give away the fact i play a rogue? ;d

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 04:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Try [code][/code] tags. And some structuring would be nice too.

PS:

Nope. Trinkets go on a 30(?) sec CD when equipped.
    Like i said, i'm explaining it very basic. It will equip the item and use it when it's off cooldown.
    Where as /cast won't equip it, just use it if it's already equipped.

Deleted
    Ah, misunderstanding then. You might want to write ("will equip the trinket OR use it (as applicable)")

/use doesn't equip an unequipped trinket, that's what the /equip command is for. The rest looks ok.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

why dont you read stickys srsly...