Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destard View Post
    my body will decay, some people will be sad for few days, end

and yeah, i'll probably turn into a tree if the coffin break, but probably not
    Then some guy will chop you down and make a bible out of ya. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe in religion but, I believe your energy goes on and takes over another body/anything that requires energy...
    Kinda like reincarnation but Einstein always believed that your energy never dies even after you die it just goes on. (If I remember correctly) Even if not, This is what I believe. :s

i dont believe in the ideologies of religions, however i like to believe there is some higher power whether it is called God or not. For the most part, i see religion as a way to keep certain moralities in order, and in some cases improve mankind. But believing in an afterlife isn't all to bad, even if there is none, its still not a bad deal being nice to people in your life time in the hopes of improving humanity.

Deleted
    I think when I die that that's the end, and that is scares me a litle.

And I say think because I'm no idiot who claims to know the real thruth. I have respect for people who believe in the afterlife, though I think it is made up to make people feel better.

Any person who claims to be 100% sure to know what happens when you die is just well naive...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Sarcastic View Post
    As my other posts in this thread probably show, I'm quite impressed by Islamic science. To say that the chances of someone from that society might surmise (not merely guess) these facts is nearly a million to one, is in my view an enormous exaggeration. I'd say you've shown good evidence that the author was an intuitively brilliant scientist, like the Greek who postulated the existance of atoms, and nothing more.
    i only said few stuff, there are also facts in there about the universe is expanding, tell me, when did we discover that ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Sarcastic View Post
    They HAD a word for 'nothing', but they didnt have a number for it, for use in mathematics. That might sound strange but when the biggest use for your science is in counting pigs for trade I guess there wasnt much need for a mathematical zero for some time.
    Hellenistic zero

Hellenistic astronomers extended alphabetic Greek numerals into a sexagesimal positional numbering system by limiting each position to a maximum value of 50 + 9 and including a special symbol for zero, which was also used alone like our modern zero, more than as a simple placeholder. However, the positions were usually limited to the fractional part of a number (called minutes, seconds, thirds, fourths, etc.) — they were not used for the integral part of a number. This system was probably adapted from Babylonian numerals byHipparchus c. 140 BC. It was then used by Ptolemy (c. 140), Theon (c. 380), and Theon's daughter Hypatia (died 415).
    The Greek sexagesimal place holder or zero symbol changed over time. The symbol used on papyri during the second century was a very small circle with an overbar several diameters long, terminated or not at both ends in various ways. Later, the overbar shortened to only one diameter, similar to our modern o macron (ō) which was still being used in late medieval Arabic manuscripts whenever alphabetic numerals were used. But the overbar was omitted in Byzantine manuscripts, leaving a bare ο (omicron). This gradual change from an invented symbol to ο does not support the hypothesis that the latter was the initial of ουδέν meaning "nothing".[4][5]
    Some of Ptolemy's true zeros appeared in the first line of each of his eclipse tables, where they were a measure of the angular separation between the center of the Moon and either the center of the Sun (for solar eclipses) or the center of Earth's shadow (for lunar eclipses). All of these zeros took the form 0 | 0 0, where Ptolemy actually used three of the symbols described in the previous paragraph. The vertical bar (|) indicates that the integral part on the left was in a separate column labeled in the headings of his tables as digits (of five arc-minutes each), whereas the fractional part was in the next column labeled minute of immersion, meaning sixtieths (and thirty-six-hundredths) of a digit.[6]

Source: Wikipedia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnn View Post
    If we made it obvious that he was real, what would be the reward for going to Heaven since everyone in the world would be getting that? No, he's going to reward the people who had faith in him through their strife in life by placing them in Heaven after death. What would be the point of Heaven and Hell if everyone could easily believe in Heaven?
    Proposing an idea like that is to go against most of the teaches of at least the new testiment which depicts a caring god who commands that his followers must spread faith. To insinuate that heaven is supposed to be like a popular nightclub you gotta know the owner to get in is naive. I doubt you even know much about your own faith and its purpose.
    Those words from a thousand years ago happen to have been written by prophets and disciples of the one and only God, so yes I am going to believe them, your slandering of my beliefs is sad but your entitled to your opinion I guess.
    First off disagreement is in no way slandering, secondly the more grandious people tend to proclaim things to be the harder they are to prove; How exactly does one become a disciple or prophet of the one and only god? Did god sign the back of their prophet card and co-sign all their proclimations? Or is the only thing differentiating them from anyone else is that they claim(cant be proven) to have recieved instructions from god. You know Charles Manson claimed he was a prophet as well..
    Stop referring me to your science theory books, they are just as unproven as the Bible, thats why they are called theories.
    Well, thanks for admiting that the bible is unproven, but the whole idea of science is that scientists rarely claim absolute facts as any decent one will tell you everything is relative, mostly our understanding of the universe. Science is constantly changing and evolving, when a scientific fact is proven wrong you dont see a breakoff sect of scientists go live in the woods somewhere writing books on why they believe the earth is still flat, they accept that knowledge of life and existance is in constant flux, adjust their understanding, and move on.
    And your explanation is a number of primordial gasses formed from a random void and merged to create a sonic explosion that created planets, life, energy, physics, matter, stars, and everything else that is conceivable in the world? LOL yeah really believable
    Umm.. nobody created physics, the laws of physics were simply observed and named, they always existed. The big bang theory would also require a little more than a simple sonic explosion(sonic denoting the crack occuring when an object travels faster than the speed of sound). The gas you refer to wasnt 'created' by a random void although it may have come from one; from what we currently know about the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles it does stand to reason that the explosion refered to when talking about the big bang could have been nothing more than a supermassive singularity(black hole) reaching critical mass and consiquently exploding releasing all the matter, gas, radiation, even light that comprises the universe and over time molecules bonded, pieces of solid matter with slightly higher mass attracted others that in turn attracted other to form planets, gasses joined together creating stars and so on and so forth. Which is actually much more believable than an invisible sky monster made it all.
    I'll believe in my theory, you can believe in your theory. Since we are on the topic of reading books though, I reccommend all of you read the Bible's description of Hell. After doing so, I want you to imagine for a second that MAYBE just MAYBE all of these crazed religious lunatics were right, and Hell and Heaven are actually real. Since you never actually believed in Jesus because he was just from a book to you that made no sense because you thought science is the only practical explanation to things, you got yourself in a pretty bad mess when you die. Read the Bibles description of Hell, kinda scary if you think religion is stupid.
    Your now suggesting even if you dont truly believe in any other part of the christian bible the threat of eternal damnation if you dont believe or at least go through the motions of church, repentance, confession, pennance etc; That should be your motivation to be a christian? Because if you believe and your wrong no big deal but if you dont believe and your wrong you go to hell? To me that sounds like the last dying plea of a desperate group. Seems people who objectivly choose to be athiest possess more courage by taking the risk, and people who claim its best to be christian because you might go to hell are actually just hedging their bets, just like people who 'find god' when they develop cancer.

Edit: Too bad he stopped posting some pages back..
    Last edited by Magisleeper; 2011-06-26 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Linemup and I'll knockem down.
    Farewell WoW Pandaland
    Intel i5 2.67 OC 3.3ghz | ATI 6950 850mhz OC 920Stable 950 Push 1000Insane

Quote Originally Posted by appleezz View Post
    Do you believe that you turn into a giant tree?
    I'd like to be a tree...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Meezo View Post
    i only said few stuff, there are also facts in there about the universe is expanding, tell me, when did we discover that ?
    Edwin Hubble, 1929. The discovery was based on science which had nothing to do with the Qur'an.

must ppl rly discuss pointless things like the greek stuff... just post ur opinion with mayb a story and leave

Firstly, I'd be interested to know where exactly the Qu'ran says that. Secondly, there's only really three options there: shrinking, growing, and staying the same. Not a huge feat even if it WAS a total guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am Agnostic. All else I will say is that for me, I believe that there’s a Creator who exists, who allows us to see glimpses of nirvana if only we dig deep enough through the decayed pillars raised by evil. To me, I can visualize and feel the presence of somebody above who looks after us, whose word is that of love. Not bigotry nor exclusivity, not fanaticism nor hate: just love.
    "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue center light pop and everybody goes "Awww!
    -Jack Kerouac

I'm Catholic and I kinda just like the thought of a life after death.

The other fact is that I still keep reincarnation among other things in my head for possibilities after death.

And, hey, it's better for me at least to think that there's something after we die. I don't like the idea that there's nothing but..well..nothingness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Al-Jabran was the actual discoverer of algebra. I'm sorry your Western history books lied to you.
    Eh, what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_algebra
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma...a_al-Khwarizmi

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in a higher power yeah. I haven't really speculated on what happens after death, but I do believe that something happens. Just the thought of ceasing to be sits weirdly with me and doesn't feel right to me, so my gut instinct tells me there is something after.

*shrug*, I'll have to wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by Medivhe View Post
    Source: Wikipedia.
    Says it all really. Seriously, though, I knew they did use zero in some small areas. It was far from standard, it would be like saying we use irrational numbers in our standard numbering system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Edwin Hubble, 1929. The discovery was based on science which had nothing to do with the Qur'an.
    yeah, no, the Qur'an proved it before this guy did and here is a proof

"And the heavens* We** constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander." [Quran: 51:47] (the word vasi’ in Arabic means vast, moowsi’oon [which comes from the root word vasi’] is the word used in that verse which signifies that someone is an expander and expanding that certain thing, in the context of the verse – the heavens or space is gradually being expanded by God’s control.]

*heavens = the skies and space above us (in arabic = sama' = heavens), Even linguistically in English and many other languages.

it isn't the Paradise promised for the believers. The gardens promised to the beiievers in the next life is Jannah (which means gardens.)

**We = Royal We, it is used by kings to refer to themselves in a respectful way. Allah - the One & Only God refers to Himself in this respectful Royal 'We' too.

Deleted
    When you die, your brain shuts down. When your brain shuts down, you cease to exist.
    This scares the absolute shit out of me, and depresses me greatly

yeah, no, the Qur'an proved it before this guy did and here is a proof

"And the heavens* We** constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander." [Quran: 51:47] (the word vasi’ in Arabic means vast, moowsi’oon [which comes from the root word vasi’] is the word used in that verse which signifies that someone is an expander and expanding that certain thing, in the context of the verse – the heavens or space is gradually being expanded by God’s control.]

*heavens = the skies and space above us (in arabic = sama' = heavens), Even linguistically in English and many other languages.

it isn't the Paradise promised for the believers. The gardens promised to the beiievers in the next life is Jannah (which means gardens.)

**We = Royal We, it is used by kings to refer to themselves in a respectful way. Allah - the One & Only God refers to Himself in this respectful Royal 'We' too.
    If that's what you call "proof" I'm beginning to see how pointless is to argue about scientific topics in this forum.

"And the heavens* We** constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander." [Quran: 51:47]
    You do realise how very, VERY differently that can be interpreted, I hope?