Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by exstarcraftfan View Post
    -The first 3 books of Song of Fire and Ice are good.The 4. is trash(I like Samwell and Arya but I couldnt care less about all the other trash characters in that boring book...the lack of Jon Snow and Tyrion is depressing).
    What the hell man, put spoiler warnings

10+ Year Old Account
    for someone who is new to the fantasy genre (and in general) i would suggest:

warhammer: gotrek and felix 1-x

warhammer 40k: allmost anything. most books can be read as a stand alone despite beeing part of a series.

anything from markus heitz: the dwarfs especially.

dungeons and dragons:
    -war of the spider queen (6 books)
    -the first 6 books of drizzt (where he flees from the drow empire)

the books of walter moers in the zamonia setting:
    -rumo
    -the city of books

the books of the planescape setting:
    -the bloodwars trillogy
    -the lady of pain
    (only those the rest sux balls HARD)

and ofcourse the song of ice and fire series. but i wouldnt call them fantasy per se, more like alternate-reality-middle-ages-politic-thriller. meaning they are more *realistic* than most fantasy books out there. but really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaalu View Post
    What the hell man, put spoiler warnings
    Dont worry I have no idea what happened with Jon or Tyrion because the writer just forgot to write about his best characters(500 pages without a Jon,Tyrion or Daenerys chapter,brilliant).

Sci-Fi: The "Gaunts Ghosts" Series by Dan Abnett. Similar in some ways to Bernard Cornwells style in the "Sharpe" series of novels.

Fantasy: Another reccomendation for "A Song of Ice and Fire". Read "Game of Thrones" before you watch the series though.
    Zhemak wrote:
    Hi, i'm a scientist, from the NASA. I can make science, so I tell you as a pro, Minecraft is not laggy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sci-fi: "Hyperion Cantos" dilogy by Dan Simmons (super-epic, diverse and awesome), and anything by Robert Heinlein and Philip Dick.
    Fantasy: "The game of thrones" by George Martin, "LotR" by Tolkien, and most of things by Michael Moorcock.

I am reading the assasin books by Robin Hobb. Pretty typical stable lad but its enjoyable

The Night Angel Series by Brent Weeks.
    May the raging winds destroy my foes, and let its soothing breeze ease the pain of my friends!

My Main: Ranko US-Garithos[A]

The Xanth Series by Pierce Anthony, simply awesome. theres bout 5-6 books in the series. indepth and u get immersed in the story and

honestly the only books i ever completed aside from the Tolkein books
    Last edited by tonkz; 2011-06-27 at 01:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eragon series. 4th book this november. If you've seen the movie, don't worry, it's not shit like the movie.

Read The music seed by scott benjamin, it is an awesome sifi book that ties music into the plot.
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

i believe i will finish up the frankenstein series by koontz then move on to game of thrones! please keep the ideas coming tho!

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 02:41 AM ----------

also have any of u read the books like abrham lincoln vampire slayer, or pride and prejudice and zomibes?

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 02:42 AM ----------

im also curious if any of u have read the frankenstein series by dean koontz
    Last edited by Blacklisted; 2011-06-27 at 06:16 AM.

Sci-fi books I suggest Robert.A.Heinlein, especially his "Stranger in a Strange Land".
    Fantasy books I suggest George.R.R.Martin, especially his "A Song of Ice and Fire", "Fevre Dream" and "Windhaven".
    R.A.Salvatore is also good: The Dark Elf Trilogy, The Icewind Trilogy... All of them are the base of DND rule "Forgotten Realm".

10+ Year Old Account
    magical far-away tree is an oldie for me

those of u naming just series, can u list the books in the series so i can help narrow my searches down! thanks!
    Last edited by Blacklisted; 2011-06-27 at 06:19 AM. Reason: mis quote

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaalu View Post
    Are they not making a second season for the second book?
    they are.

A song of frost and flame
    The Lord of the Rings
    Star Wars
    Harry Potter

are just a few books of my childhood...

and ofcourse,

TWILIGHT...

nah,jk

Sci-Fi

Larry Niven's RingWorld , A World Out of Time and The RingWorld Engineers

Fantasy

Roger Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber

The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett
    The Graveyard Book and American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
    The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklisted View Post
    Hello every1! i recently decided to use my ability to read for pleasure. i recently read dean koontz prodigal son, this is the first book ive read in over 6 years! I was interested in finding other books to read in my leisure time. you guys have any suggestions of books that are around that reading level and are skim around that genre?

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 06:27 PM ----------

can a moderator move this to the appropriate topic, i didnt mean to post it here in this topic
    If you like Dean Koontz may I suggest Phantoms.

If you have nothing against reading young adult books I would also suggest the Pit Dragon series by Jane Yolen. It's a great series about dragon cock fights in space. Also despite what people say and rip into the books for, the inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisinger) can be quiet enjoyable. If you want a much heavier read I would suggest the Chronicles of Conan.

ALSO, if you want something that's more based around humor then fantasy/sci-fi I would suggest Don Quixote, or Lamb by Christopher Moore or perhaps Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.
    Last edited by elgato; 2011-06-27 at 07:00 AM.

First 6 books of dune

anything Terry Pratchet
    anything Neil Gaman
    Game Night
    Mogworld
    wheel of time
    LoTR
    Conan
    Nuklear Power

edit:read anything mentioned twice or more in this thread