Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    After a quick look I dont think they have been mentioned yet but The Dark Tower series by Stephen King offers a mix of high fantasy and sci fi. I myself am not a huge Stephen King fan but the series is completely unlike much of his other work and to me is the best fantasy I've read in an age.

Plus it's currently in development to be brought to the big screen by Universal and a Oscar winning Director/Lead (3 films - Action orientated linked by 2 TV series - Character Development). So you can be like a boss (or one of those annoying people ) who know it all before it comes out.

The Dark Tower I - The Gunslinger
    The Dark Tower II - The Drawing of the Three
    The Dark Tower III - The Wastelands
    The Dark Tower IV - Wizard and Glass
    The Dark Tower V - Wolves of the Calla
    The Dark Tower VI - Song of Susannah
    The Dark Tower VII - The Dark Tower

Those are the core books (with another currently being written by King which slots in as book 4.5) there is also side stories to the series written by other authors and a Marvel run comic which goes into more of the back story and other events which is still in production.

A brief overview would be basicly what King writes in his foreword, he was young - full of imagination and had just finished Tolkien's Lord of the Rings so guess form there. Please dont think this is a copy though. There is obvious inspiration from Tolkien but the whole series is really unique.

Ok after all that maybe I am a King fan...
    Last edited by mmoc4697126d35; 2011-06-27 at 07:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eragon series. Read it 3 times and i might do it again.

For me, joining with two others:
    Lotr,
    Wheel of Time, a wicked balance of fantasy, mixed with some Sci-fi here and there (you got to find it, but it excists, I wouldnt give hints away, but LTT and the Forsaken know about it. Careful though, if you decide to read the books, you can easily miss them, specially in the first books) and some history!

...also have any of u read the books like abrham lincoln vampire slayer, or pride and prejudice and zomibes?
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is basically just a spoof remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice from 1813.. If you enjoy reading about girls in empire dresses, wielding katanas and slaying zombies en masse then go for it
    The author has pretty much copied the original book, including a lot of the dialogue, I'd say about 85% is actually the original material, the last 15% are zombies, gore and sexual references! I suggest you read the original book first or you won't get the joke

I honestly wouldn't recommend it, but it's sort of funny because it's so bad..

Def start with the George R.R. Martin series.. I've reread those books about 4 times each and know them by heart, I've read a lot of fantasy but nothing that comes close to the first three books of that series in pure awesomeness.. I just hope he doesn't die before finishing the series..

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R Martin is fantastic, but be prepared for characters to die...alot. A Feast for Crows is the 4th book and until A Dance with Dragons comes out its the newest book, its also a brutal very real look at the horrors of war. The series is in general a deconstruction of High Fantasy and several character tropes that are extremely common in fantasy stories. So if you like your fantasy to be upbeat and have a happy moral about how hard work saves the day and how heroic knights can be, then stay away. In general this is a series for people who watched Harry Potter and said why didn't anyone just shot someone they wanted dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Eragon series. 4th book this november. If you've seen the movie, don't worry, it's not shit like the movie.
    this!

also my personal favourite, the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix..

oh and the Chronicles and Legends of the Raven books by James Barclay, absolutely awesome books i'd recommend to anyone

Deleted
    There are lots of good series many listed here but i will throw in my 2 cent about some of the mentioned series that i have read as well as some not listed.

I saw lots of recommendations for "A song of ice and fire" (I have started to read these now) this is a series I’d like to compare to Robert Jordan’s "Wheel of time" They are good series but i dislike them for a few things. They tend to focus a lot on the world and describes lots of things.... hmmm ... can maybe explain it as the author is so focus on sharing his view of the world he created and really try to "force" it on you. I much prefer books that are written in a manner were the focus is more on the character and the world is more open for your own imagination ( I do not say that the characters a bad, they are rather good it’s the world describing in I’m against) I also dislike when the author want to tell the stories of several person for me it just gets messy. Up to 3 persons to follow is ok if you ask me, in this sense “A song of ice and fire” is a huge mess (in my humble opinion).

Thus I would warmly recommend al books done by Trudi Canavan, Her Black Magician series is just great. Not to many characters to follow and the characters are rather stationary so don’t have to read same thing about 12 different cities and grasslands. She tends to write about the poor girl who grows up to be the hero and it’s the same in her other trilogy and standalone book as well …. The new trilogy is different though (continue on the black magician). I find it nice to not have to read about a man in a world who just exists for him to have something to walk upon (I throw that remark at the wheel of time yes).

I must say I rather enjoyed Stephanie Meyers Twilight series and The Host, these books seems to be in some love or hate debate but I found them to be a nice read. Beware of all the American “way of life” opinions in them though.

Codex of Alera is another nice read, but well inspired by Romans and some Alien bug attack.

The Eragon books are an ok read as well, the writhing in them gets better with each book but there are a lot of cliché stuff in them.

Robbin Hobbs The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilog, The Tawny Man Trilogy are 3 trilogies in the same world you need to read all to get the full story. Good read but her writing is suffering a little from the “trying to force her view” on you, she tends to describe things too much and it annoys me. But anyway really good books.

My favourite Sci-Fi author is Ben Bova. I especially liked "Jupiter", where religion and science has a firm place, sort of "battling" each other. Because of the human history of science vs religion, especially during the middle ages (my favorite historical period), I found the contrast quite fascinating.

"In Jupiter, Earth society is dominated by a selection of religious theocracies spread across the globe. Most prevalent is the New Morality, a Christian fundamentalist movement, that shares power with similar Muslim and Buddhist movements. Citizens are required to surrender a few years of their lives in Service to the New Morality, and scientists are viewed with deep suspicion -- especially those whose sciences may challenge or contradict Scripture. Evolution becomes a dirty word."

From a review on the first site I found through google, found here. Despite what you may think reading the italics, the book only touches on the religious parts, but enough to know it's there, influencing. It's a Sci-Fi novel after all, it focuses on that stuff.

edit:
    After a quick look I dont think they have been mentioned yet but The Dark Tower series by Stephen King offers a mix of high fantasy and sci fi. I myself am not a huge Stephen King fan but the series is completely unlike much of his other work and to me is the best fantasy I've read in an age.
    I've read some of Stephen King's books, and I really enjoy his style of writing. Even his book about writing was fascinating. But since I never was a Wild Western fan, The Dark Tower series never stuck with me. From what I understood, The Dark Tower series is basically King's american response to Tolkien and other similar stories, but instead of Medieval Europe / fantasy style of setting, it has a Wild West theme. I guess if you enjoy the Fallout games, you'll enjoy The Dark Tower series.
    Last edited by Raphtheone; 2011-06-27 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayedra View Post
    Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin

The first book of the series has been turned in to an HBO show called Game of Thrones. Absolutely fantastic book series.
    /thread
    10char

Also worth a mention in my opinion are The chronicles of Amber.. Haven't read them in ages but remember being completely engrossed!

This is a bit off topic.. but I'm wondering if anyone can identify and name a series of two fantasy books I read years ago.. I can't remember the author or the name of the books and it's highly annoying.

The main character of the stories is a girl who enters a different world through a special mirror.. she's seduced by a man who turn out to be evil.. all i remember is that he had a wedge shaped head Mirrors are a really big part of these books, i think, if i remember correctly, there's a guild or something of mirror makers..

Yeah this is really hazy but if it rings a bell with anyone i'd be grateful for the name of these books..!

:P to many kids on this forum if you want real Fantasy go Chek Steven Ericson !! or Andrzej Sapkowski or Old good Salvatoore if youre new in this then R.R Martin is not for you is to hard to understand and bycome booring with time But thats just my sugestion

Glen Cook's Black Company series. By far the best series I've ever read. As soon as I finished them, I went back and read them all over again. It's the story of a band of mercenaries that have existed in one form or another for centuries. It's not your typical "Forsooth! I doth see a dragon there, vexing that fair maiden!" They are a military company, they dig latrines and sleep in dirt and pillage, and they are mercenaries, so they aren't always the knights in shining armor.

And magic is done very well in the series. Something about the way he works with it in his writing, it's never like "BLAM! FIREBALL! I tired now." You get to watch the bigger shows roll out and all you can think is "Ho. Ly. Crap!" It's like other magic is watching kids fight in the street, and this stuff is like watching Jet Li vs. Chow Yun-Fat.

Black Company
    Shadows Linger
    The White Rose
    The Silver Spike
    Shadow Games
    Dreams of Steel
    Bleak Seasons
    She is the Darkness
    Water Sleeps
    Soldiers Live

10+ Year Old Account
    I just finished The Name of the Wind, and I really liked it.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 10:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ibnalail View Post
    Glen Cook's Black Company series. By far the best series I've ever read. As soon as I finished them, I went back and read them all over again. It's the story of a band of mercenaries that have existed in one form or another for centuries. It's not your typical "Forsooth! I doth see a dragon there, vexing that fair maiden!" They are a military company, they dig latrines and sleep in dirt and pillage, and they are mercenaries, so they aren't always the knights in shining armor.

And magic is done very well in the series. Something about the way he works with it in his writing, it's never like "BLAM! FIREBALL! I tired now." You get to watch the bigger shows roll out and all you can think is "Ho. Ly. Crap!" It's like other magic is watching kids fight in the street, and this stuff is like watching Jet Li vs. Chow Yun-Fat.

Black Company
    Shadows Linger
    The White Rose
    The Silver Spike
    Shadow Games
    Dreams of Steel
    Bleak Seasons
    She is the Darkness
    Water Sleeps
    Soldiers Live
    My guild is Water Sleeps Our non-raider rank is "Black Company". We've been around like 5 years, and I'm afraid I hadn't even heard of this series until I joined up.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

15+ Year Old Account
    Dark Tower by Stephen King
    Everything by Robin Hobb
    (almost) Everything by Tad Williams
    Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
    Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
    The WoW books by Christie Golden aren't too bad either.

Deleted
    Star wars....

15+ Year Old Account
    Fantasy: A song of ice and fire
    Sci-Fi: Honor Harrington (hard sci-fi), Ciaphas Cain - Hero of the Imperium (flashmanesque, soft sci-fi, though immensly witty)
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Really Greywulf? Fix the post please.

But to the suggestion I can't stress enough how great the Dark Tower series is.

Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series!

Check out the sticky here in this forum. Link can be found in my signature.

Dune is an amazing series...anything by H.P. Lovecraft is GREAT.