What is your sports injury story?

First off MMO-Champion is pro for having forums supporting more than games within a gaming community.

Now, what is your sports injury story, did it cost you a scholarship, did it end your sports for good, what sport were you playing and anything else involving this subject. This can include Skating, BMX, Free Running ect..

TLDR! I got hurt doing benchpress and split my sternum.

Mine cost me a scholarship in wrestling but the injury occurred while Powerlifting. I was at the Oklahoma Powerlifting State Championship for High School where they combine the total of 3 events to determine your score. The lifts are Deadlift, Squat, and Benchpress. I was in the weight class of 225lbs and higher. I was at 229 lbs. For each event you are allowed 3 attempts to reach your goal. there are 3 judges watching your lift and if you do it improperly you would get a red flag. You need at least 2 green flags for the lift to count. The first event for my weight class was Deadlift. I had already warmed up quite well before the events and was feeling pretty good. on my lift I first attempted 600lbs as this is a pretty standard weight for my class and I wanted to get a guaranteed green lift. After I moved up to 660 lbs and also got a green lift. On my final attempt I moved up to 725 lbs and was able to make it count. Sitting at 725 lbs on deadlift I was feeling quite pumped and was only at 2nd place during this time as one very large guy did nearly 800 lbs. On to the Squats where my 3 lifts were 600,650, and 680 lbs all green flags making me just ahead of the previous guy by 5 lbs. This making my total 1405 lbs and my closest competition at 1400 lbs. We We then had an intermission as it is a State wide event with more than 15 weight classes this caused the event to run 2 days. On the 2nd day of competition I only had Benchpress to go. I don't like to use a benchpress shirt, or have a spotter do a lift off for me. I like to feel the weight straight from the rack so that I can control the entire lift. I started out with 345 lbs on bench just to ensure my green flags, on my 2nd attempt i moved up to 365 lbs. It was a struggle to but I got it and felt great about it. At this point the competitor was only able to get 340 bench and I felt really good about my shot at winning. On our final attempts I went for a solid 375 since I was feeling pumped up from the previous lift and status of the competition. This is where I got injured. I unrack the weight then bring it out and start the press, the weight touched my chest i held it for the second which is required, then i start my accent and as I was just reaching 3/4 up mark I gear a popping sound in my chest. Suddenly I lost my breath and dropped the weight down to my chest. My spotters all 3 frantically lift the weight off of my chest and I of course got 3 red flags and a quick check up. I was sore but still excited as at that time I found I won the competition by quite a ways with a total score of 1770 LBS 2nd place was at 1755 total. I collected my medal and was on my way home with the team. My school ended up getting 2nd place over all. On the bus on the way home is when it hit me and I realized that I am having pains in my chest. I thought it will subside after a day or so and just chalked it up to a torn muscle. After about 3 weeks I realized the pain has not went away and if anything gotten worse so I decide to go see the doctor. We did an xray and it revealed that I had a broken sternum it had pulled its self apart from the force of the weight and muscle pulling against it. It took over 2 years for this to heal completely and still gives me some pain now and then.

I'm better now but this is also the story of how my wow days started! I don't regret it as I also got interested in computers and found a new hobby. I still got to go to school as well just on my own budget.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    SPORTS??!?!?!? ON A VIDEO GAME FORUM!!!!!

THIS IS MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I never get serious injuries, ever.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

I have two:

Fun Story A --

I was a Freshman in high school. It was soccer season. I played on both the JV and Varsity teams (I did letter, even though this doesn't matter towards the story). I was a late bloomer. At that point in my life I was about ~5'5" and ~115 lbs. Small kid, right? I was a really well rounded player due to loving the sport and having an awesome coach for most of my life (my dad -- played through most of his life and played for Michigan State in college).

Anyway, one game I was on a break away. The sweeper for the other team was fucking huge. I'd say 6+ feet and at least 60-80 lbs heavier than me. I tried to pull the juke of 'kick the ball outside their left side and run around the other side'. Well. I did that. He was still swinging his kick when I was trying to go around. He hit my shin. It broke my shin guard in half and broke my Tibia. It basically ended my soccer career (that and the start of the next season my coach died during pre-season and the next coach hated me personally).

Fun Story B --

Not much to this one. I was a swimmer, mainly, through most of my life and in college. I guess my shoulders had enough swimming early in my Junior year of college and I tore my rotator cuff. 2 surgeries later, I never felt right in the water.

So regardless of my good past and current fitness + my love of my job as a trainer, I've had more than a couple (the ones above are just the injuries that basically stopped a couple 'careers') setbacks. They so no pain no gain. I call bullshit. I'd rather just sprain my ankle a couple of times and still be able to run than what I've gone through in my past.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I have two:

Fun Story A --

I was a Freshman in high school. It was soccer season. I played on both the JV and Varsity teams (I did letter, even though this doesn't matter towards the story). I was a late bloomer. At that point in my life I was about ~5'5" and ~115 lbs. Small kid, right? I was a really well rounded player due to loving the sport and having an awesome coach for most of my life (my dad -- played through most of his life and played for Michigan State in college).

Anyway, one game I was on a break away. The sweeper for the other team was fucking huge. I'd say 6+ feet and at least 60-80 lbs heavier than me. I tried to pull the juke of 'kick the ball outside their left side and run around the other side'. Well. I did that. He was still swinging his kick when I was trying to go around. He hit my shin. It broke my shin guard in half and broke my Tibia. It basically ended my soccer career (that and the start of the next season my coach died during pre-season and the next coach hated me personally).

Fun Story B --

Not much to this one. I was a swimmer, mainly, through most of my life and in college. I guess my shoulders had enough swimming early in my Junior year of college and I tore my rotator cuff. 2 surgeries later, I never felt right in the water.

So regardless of my good past and current fitness + my love of my job as a trainer, I've had more than a couple (the ones above are just the injuries that basically stopped a couple 'careers') setbacks. They so no pain no gain. I call bullshit. I'd rather just sprain my ankle a couple of times and still be able to run than what I've gone through in my past.

Man I gotta feel for you on the rotator cuff those injuries are a world of pain and you never realize how much you use your shoulders till you injure one.

Not so much an injury (sort of is).

I used to play soccer in high school for a year or two but eventually just gave it up. So i took up rec soccer just to keep playing over the summer with free time. One game i was running and my legs started to hurt, and I was like eh not a big deal i'll be fine, plus most people in the rec league were pretty bad. I'll preface this all that no i'm not amazing at soccer but any high school player in my area is a lot better than most rec players around my area, so it's not like you're warming up seriously and stretching before games. Next thing I know i'm hopping off the field in the middle of a play fall over instantly to look down at both my legs have charlie horses at the same time. I've never in my life actually seen anything quiver like my calves were. Needless to say the game ended in a couple minutes, i had to have friends and parents help me up and it was the first time in my life that someone has actually been sore to the touch for a good week. I've been in pain but actually few things felt that painful that i can remember, my legs looked as if there were an earthquake happening in each.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-06-27 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Not so much an injury (sort of is).

I used to play soccer in high school for a year or two but eventually just gave it up. So i took up rec soccer just to keep playing over the summer with free time. One game i was running and my legs started to hurt, and I was like eh not a big deal i'll be fine, plus most people in the rec league were pretty bad. I'll preface this all that no i'm not amazing at soccer but any high school player in my area is a lot better than most rec players around my area, so it's not like you're warming up seriously and stretching before games. Next thing I know i'm hopping off the field in the middle of a play fall over instantly to look down at both my legs have charlie horses at the same time. I've never in my life actually seen anything quiver like my calves were. Needless to say the game ended in a couple minutes, i had to have friends and parents help me up and it was the first time in my life that someone has actually been sore to the touch for a good week. I've been in pain but actually few things felt that painful that i can remember, my legs looked as if there were an earthquake happening in each.
    Weird I know exactly what you are saying haha! I have had the same thing happen during wrestling but with my arms. They would tremble and shake after a match then there would be this numbing pain for about 30 minutes. I have heard this is also similar to tennis elbow or is related to over strain in your tendons but I can't be sure.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I havent really had any "serious" injuries even though I've played sports with lots of strain on the body ever since I was little...

Here's a few minor ones:

- Got a small rip on my right legs thight-muscle just a bit above the knee while playing icehockey... Crossed legs with another player at top speed while trying to avoid a tackle in the middle. I actually finished the game with that leg as I didnt really feel the pain untill the end of the game and after the muscle had "cooled down". Wasnt a serious rip, just a small one so I only had to take 2 weeks off.

- Broke my right hands ring-finger from the tip while playing American Football. Grabbed a runningback from the shoulderpad when he was trying to juke me and then another guy hit him from the opposite direction... And my ring-finger happened to be extended and got crushed between the helmet and the shoulderpad. Didnt realize it was broken before I tried to take a stance again and the finger started hurting like mad when I put some weight on it.
    Had to skip practice for 2 weeks.

And then theres a few sprained ankles, though nothing serious.... Just rest it for a week and its good to go again!

I consider myself quite lucky with only these injuries after years of icehockey, MMA and american football
    I guess I gotta thank my parents for this sturdy body!

Nothing too serious for me.

Took a hard wrister to my bare shin during a pick up street hockey game. Hurt like hell, but just skated it off. Had a wicked bruise there for awhile. Learned to always put my gear on after that, pick up game or not.

I used to play baseball when I was younger. I was playing second base and a grounder was coming my way. I put my glove down to grab it and the ball shot up into my face. Was a little slow on closing the glove and the ball used it like a half pipe. Probably the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Needless to say, I had a pretty serious black eye after that.

Was white water rafting once and got knocked out of the raft. I ended up hitting my face on a rock and chipped a tooth.

doing dumbell benches in gym class back in highschool, elbow gave and my spotter didn't catch the weight before it landed on mah face, broke my nose all to hell

10+ Year Old Account
    I was partially responsible for Little League baseball players requiring that batting helmets have bars to protect the face. And it happened during practice no less.

What I remember most about it though, was getting hit in the eye with a fastball hurt so bad. I didn't cry. I was only 12-ish, but I didn't cry. It was weird. Almost like it didn't even hurt, or that it numbed my whole face, I don't know.

well...
    It was a cold wet, rainy, day i was playing football, im sprinting fall over the ball almost cut my head open (luckily head went on ball) but i fell on my arm and broke it.
    게임 은 어렵~~

Playing (American) Football my senior year of high school. I played Right Tackle on offense and Left Defensive End on defense for two years prior to senior year as a starter, so it was also my job to set an example for the new juniors/sophomores in addition to playing. Second game of the season, we ran a sweep play to the right and my job was to basically run as fast as I could to the other side of the field and knock out somebody who tried to come near our runningback's lane. So, I did!

Then, some idiot safety apparently tough my right leg was our runningback, because he dived right into my knee joint from the side as I had planted on that foot and had all my weight on it. This basically happened:

My knee
    ./
    /His shoulder
    \
    ..\

The damage was the fibular head broken off, the LCL ripped from the fibular head, my ACL torn in half, and various other ligaments torn. Full year on crutches!

1) playing Ice hockey I was 12 but was playing in the 13-15 age bracket. Was highly aggressive one game and the opposing team started double teaming me. Got checked by 2 kids behind the goal and either accidently or on purpose one kid stepped on my hand with his skate and ended up shattering my middle finger on my left hand. Bone was protruding through my skin, in 3 pieces. Need to be pinned.

2) In high school during spring track I did pole vaulting. my coach wanted me to start using a pole rated for 190lbs and I weighed in at 150. On my 3rd or 4th jump I had a bad jump, stalled out and ended up missing the safety mats and fell from about 12-13ft onto my left arm. Nothing hurt to bad, so got up and took another run. As soon as I posted my left arm I felt it. I had broken my left elbow.

I had countless other minor breaks, and sprains from wrestling but none were all that memorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Back in my Elementary school days we had this game called hand hockey which was essentially played on all fours, while using one hand to shoot. The ball was usually a rolled up sock or something soft.

My friends decided to play in the gym which had a smooth concrete floor with little friction (good to glide the ball on), I was chosen to play in net. some guy shot the ball high and i jumped up , with my knees still touching the ground, and I caught it. However on the way down my hands were not in alignment with the ground and I bent my fingers all the way up. 4 of my digits detached from my palm, and I was forced to wear a cast for several weeks along with which I had to take some pills.
    I remember it all too well