Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyTheRetard View Post
    Are you weighting the averaging of the stat values to reflect the composition of fights in firelands?
    No, a simple unweighted average of Patcherk Single-Target, Patchwerk Double-DoT, Helterskelter Single-Target, and Helterskelter Doubt-DoT is being computed. No fight in Firelands matches any of these four types of sims exactly and, likewise, different strats call for different tactics by SPriests (and sometimes vastly different, even in the same encounter). With that being said, these stat weights reflect an average of pieces over all of the types of encounters you'll face. If someone wants to try and figure out the ratios of these 4 sub-types within each individual fight to try to maximize gear on a per-figth basis, I leave that as an exercise to the reader.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

Hey Twin, wasn't Mirror's value lowered since we're using MB pretty much on CD and overriding it's proc. Also, I figure DMC is also still undervalued since you can recast right as buff is about to end to extend its usefulness.

When all of this is taken into consideration would the list go Necro(H) > DMC > Necro(N) > Mirror (H) > etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinz View Post
    Hey Twin, wasn't Mirror's value lowered since we're using MB pretty much on CD and overriding it's proc.
    This is factored in with the resimming I did last week.

Also, I figure DMC is also still undervalued since you can recast right as buff is about to end to extend its usefulness.
    The only procs that I modify the length of are Mastery because ES persists after the proc falls, unlike every other proc that buffs a stat or spellpower.

When all of this is taken into consideration would the list go Necro(H) > DMC > Necro(N) > Mirror (H) > etc?
    I stand by my computations as is.

This needs to be stickied

Quote Originally Posted by slimatic View Post
    i totally agree, very handy to have around. great thread overall.

Cheers mate =-)
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaise View Post
    i totally agree, very handy to have around. great thread overall.
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. I know the Priest mods don't want to get the top too cluttered with stickies, so I understand why this thread isn't. As long as the information is here (and out on the interwebs via search), it'll be found and useful to the community.

Also, a small update -- a few of the upgradeable Valor items weren't showing up (they are now). Also, due to the large number of the "of the" items so far, I've changed the number of items displayed in each section to 30, up from 25. Cheers!

Deleted
    I just did some testing on a dummy and the spellpower from DMC affects the damage of a dot for the whole duration even if DMC proc wears of directly after casting the dot

Squwal I am slightly confused what you mean here. If you mean that you get the proc, you cast the DoT, and it rolls with the buff even after the buff falls off that should be correct because Dots are not dynamically updated.

However, if you mean that you have the DoT up already and you get the proc and without recasting the DoT it starts ticking for more... that shouldn't be how it works at all.

Deleted
    I meant that the dot rolls with the buff after the buff falls of as a responce to Twintop saying
    The only procs that I modify the length of are Mastery because ES persists after the proc falls, unlike every other proc that buffs a stat or spellpower.

Oh in that case I think you are misinterpreting what he is saying. All DoTs will keep their buffs until they are recast, so that is actually included in how he does the calcs by default/ The reason mastery ones are extended even further is our mechanics allow us to abuse those procs "horribly".

Basically, you get a mastery proc, have an orb and cast MB to get ES up, recast DoTs. Then say right before the proc wares off you recast MB (with an orb) and refresh ES for another 14 seconds which will keep the higher amount of orb damage even after the proc goes away. Any DoTs you refresh during that time will keep that buff, also you can recast them right before that ES goes away to extend the benefit of the proc even further. You can't get that much extention from any other stat proc than Mastery.

Deleted
    I´m aware of the way mastery is working with procs but, what I meant was that by recasting DP + VT just before DMC expires you can nearly double the duration of the proc for these two DoTs wich should result in an even higher rating for the trinket .

Quote Originally Posted by Squawl View Post
    I´m aware of the way mastery is working with procs but, what I meant was that by recasting DP + VT just before DMC expires you can nearly double the duration of the proc for these two DoTs wich should result in an even higher rating for the trinket .
    The same is true with Mastery, or should I say (to be more exact) ES. All of the items and procs, trinkets included, gives you the average value (in PP) of the item while your character has the benefit of the stats, I.E.: you have the buff up still, or, ES is up with the effects of the proc for 6.75sec after the buff falls off. For static values, that is all the time (100%), whereas for procs/on use, that is some value less than 100%. If you were to start trying to include the effects on DoTs and whatnot, you'd quickly get in to a very confusing and complicated situation: 1) how long do we assume these buffed DP and VT stay up? 2) what about SWP, since it has a chance to refresh from MF? 3) what about other buffs that interact with each other (a haste proc pushing you over a threshold to get an extra tick)? etc.

The values of procs/on use are based upon the PP values for a pre-defined BiS profile. If you were to change this profile to include different trinkets, all of the PP values would shift. I don't hand modify the numbers my models spit out to maintain a level of unbiasness with the results. Others do make hand modifications in an attempt to better match what they believe actual results might be, such as from a WoL parse. I shy away from this because in many cases there are other external/fight specific effects that change the behaviour of a proc (cause it to occur more often, amplify the effect, etc.). This isn't inherently incorrect or better/worse then my pure-mathematical approach, just different.

Ultimately it comes down to, once again, this list is a tool and isn't exact, shouldn't be taken as gospel, etc. Sim your own toon to see how valuable each stat is for your character and make your own judgement calls when it comes to gearing decisions.

Deleted
    Indeed, plz sticky

bump for awesomeness

It would a great sticky. Is there a reason why it hasn't been?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elicium View Post
    Apparently it would make the forum look cluttered.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Omirr View Post
    Indeed, plz sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Elicium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificate View Post
    Apparently it would make the forum look cluttered.
    To be fair to the mods, there are a lot of stickies already in place. In the past, *anything of significance* was stickied and the top was very, very messy; at other times, a minimalist approach was also tried but led to confusion about common topics. I haven't seen many stray threads asking for where a Best in Slot list is (not to say that people aren't looking for one -- all of these bumps show that Shadow Priests as a group, indeed, are), so that may be a contributing factor.

Previously, there was a link inside one of the stickies (when the minimalist stickie model was in place). As of right now, Kilee has been kind enough to supply a link to a copy of this list that is posted over at HowToPriest.com in his guide. I'd suspect this suffices as having a link to my list readily available in the mods' eyes -- I can't say I blame them either, since more people look at his guide than look at my list (Kilee's guide is awesome, BTW).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough Twintop, besides, I've just bookmarked the thread in my browser. Can't complain really.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

This is a very nice list, thanks for the effort.Nevertheless, people should really sim their own stat weights, as it can make a big difference based on where in the progression they are. Then install a mod like Pawn to suggest upgrades and gemming. For me for instance, the t12 chest is suggested socketed with 2 brilliant inferno rubies rather than 1 orange 1 blue.