Poll: Microsoft or Apple

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am going to say PC Microsoft / Linux.

I like to build my own pc's. I have a Linux work HD and a general Microsoft HD.
    In black and white, I dont Buy mac, because i dont like paying an extra 50-100% for computers and systems that are less powerful and not as unique as they want you to think.

im 20 and im neutral. i use them both a lot, one to play, the other to work.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

I've always preferred microsoft because they have always offered the user more control of the product.

I love customizing the look and feel of my software
    I love having performance tweaks built into my operating system so I can choose how to route the majority of my system resources

(Note) Windows 7 is a failure in my eyes its nothing but a dipstick friendly version of windows made in order to attract apple fans and crap on the power users of windows past.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytramp View Post
    There shouldn't be a competition. Let me lay out the almighty rule when it comes to Mac's and PC's.

Mac's - Anything other than gaming.
    PC's - Gaming.
    This. Also, I run Windows 7 on bootcamp on my mac, so I have both OS' and can play all games. I am however, going to buy a PC gaming rig later this year for games like Battlefield 3, Diablo 3 etc.

Macs may be more expensive in some cases, but I strongly believe you do make that money up if you treat your machine well. My iMac is nearly 4 years old, and I can still run WoW on near full specs with no problems, as well as run games like Bad Company 2 on decent settings. Additionally, it is not any slower than it was when I got it out of the box. All the windows computers I have ever had have slowed down and bugged out after a year or more. I think Macs are also superior in graphic design, movie editing, music creation etc. The other thing I have noticed is that Apple's software is usually much more affordable than the official Microsoft software like Office, as well as the actual OS. (Lion is $29.99, Windows 7 is upwards of $119.99. In before 'But Lion isn't a whole new OS').

But it is very true PC's are superior for gaming, also because if you want to be always on the best specs your machine will have a relatively short lifespan.

People who say Apple is evil, yes they are, but Windows is just as evil, if not more evil. There is one case I can recall about Apple and a company that manufactured parts for them using child labour, which was resolved quickly, but think about how many hundreds of PC part manufacturers there are all over the world, not directly controlled by Microsoft. And, considering the cheapness of most of these parts, I would say it is fair to assume there is much more child labour on the Microsoft side.

Opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as this remains civil (i.e. if you want to attack someone because they don't like your favorite OS, the thread closure will be blamed on you.) it will remain open. So far it's been very good.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Gamers use Macs?

Apple makes good portable devices bar none.
    Microsoft basically good at everything else Windows / Xbox for gaming. As a freelancer I never had a job where Mac was a necessity.

I own iPhone, iPad2 and self-built i5 PC.

Mac is an over priced PC. So that means they charge more for their OS over a PC. Also this should be.... a PC vs Mac since Microsoft does not "make" computers they only make the software that works on the computers. Pretty much you really can not take Mac OS vs Windows because they are used for different things. Mac OS is used for more high end multimedia where Windows is made for the home user for web surfing, chatting, gamming, and everything else under the sun.

Is one better thent he other? For different applications yeah. Over all MAC is just an over priced PC IMHO. The only difference is the OS. You can build the same guts in a PC and a MAC and a MAC will be about $500-$1000 MORE then the PC.

Deleted
    18 years old.
    Use Microsoft Windows XP, it's easy to use, no overkill defense system, allows me to change what I want when I want, not a too flashy interface.

Both of them became lame lately though, which is why I keep it to XP, same reason I keep it to the original I-pod rather than the new stuff with all these ''new'' I-stuff coming out which is the same gift in a different wrapping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, a thread dedicated to an age old flamewar. I'm curious how long this stays open.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

apple pc's serve many purposes:

-if you're pretending you're a real dj having a laptop with an apple logo on it will improve your street cred
    -if you work in media arts having an apple pc will help let others know how artistic you are
    -if you know nothing about computers or how they work having an apple will let you brag about your l33t skills and how awesome you are at "computers"
    -if you have too much money an apple pc will help you make a fashion statement instead of having actual functionality and thus impress your cool friends!
    -if you are a moron buying an apple will allow you to say things about windows that aren't and never have been true
    -if you're in a band buying an apple will let the world know how awesome you are at picking computers and by association as a musician

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Promethax View Post
    Microsoft.

Apple is too hip.
    What a valid point!

But seriously, in terms of gaming Windows is better, but Macs excel at everything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously though most of the points I've read in this thread against Apple so far are just born out of sheer ignorance and are not based on reality. Kinda like the comment from someone earlier that he still uses XP because Windows 7 "is the same in a new package". Don't let ignorance guide you...
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

Quote Originally Posted by StarFade View Post
    What a valid point!

But seriously, in terms of gaming Windows is better, but Macs excel at everything else.
    Not in a corporate environment. Hell even our Mac PC's are running windows through Citrix to get most of their crap done...

Most studies show that in terms of performance $ for $ windows machines win. Even for graphic editing a Mac tends to loose which is what Macs started off specializing in. They also used to be much harder to self maintain with pretty much any fault requiring it to be returned to Mac.

On the other hand when looking at things like ease-of-use and style Macs will normally come out on top in a survey. When it comes to mobile phones Microsoft don't really have anything to offer that can compete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    18 years old.
    Use Microsoft Windows XP, it's easy to use, no overkill defense system, allows me to change what I want when I want, not a too flashy interface.

Both of them became lame lately though, which is why I keep it to XP, same reason I keep it to the original I-pod rather than the new stuff with all these ''new'' I-stuff coming out which is the same gift in a different wrapping.
    Sweet! people still uses XP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Not in a corporate environment. Hell even our Mac PC's are running windows through Citrix to get most of their crap done...
    That is just because your corporate environment is Windows based. Mine is as well, but the Citrix receivers for Mac are absolutely fine, so I don't even need to run Windows on my Mac. If your corporate environment is Apple based though, guess what is better?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi! I'm Taco and I'm a computerholic.

Generally, I prefer Macs for everyday use and most tasks. But Windows for gaming.
    I'm a crazy taco.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetheus View Post
    People who say Apple is evil, yes they are, but Windows is just as evil, if not more evil. There is one case I can recall about Apple and a company that manufactured parts for them using child labour, which was resolved quickly, but think about how many hundreds of PC part manufacturers there are all over the world, not directly controlled by Microsoft. And, considering the cheapness of most of these parts, I would say it is fair to assume there is much more child labour on the Microsoft side.

Opinion.
    I just have a question actually and that is... Where does Microsoft involve child labor? Also would like to know what PC Microsoft builds? Last time I remember you had Dell, ASUS, Sony and Hp/Compaq.... Also the same manufacturers make all the parts in the world for MAC and the rest of the computer companies out there. Microsoft makes software.... Not sure how they would have more child labor unless it is for stuffing the boxes? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I had the displeasure to have to use apple throughout elementary and one year in middle school and I hate the bastards. I never enjoyed how it was set up, and god those mouses are terrible.
    For a long time I felt the same way, until I realized that those Macintosh computers that they donate to elementary and middle schools suck hard, and that the consumer products are leaps and bounds better than they are.