Shannox Strategy video - no tank swap needed

Our guild killed it last night (release night), and since there was a lot of confusion since they made the bosses untauntable, I figured I'd post our kill and add some narration. The tankspot video calls for juggling threat between two tanks, but in our kill we did it without tank swaps. Hope this helps =D It's my first narrated video too, so be kind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49exM3UtXec

I enjoyed this video and will be showing it to my raid. I do however have a few questions. is it viable to Leap of faith the tank when shannox is thorwing his spear? What if you're on 10 man and have no warrior?

HAs for the video Personally I would have titled it somethign alogn the lines of a tank guide

Leap of faith works just as well if there's no warrior. There are no movement impairing abilities on your off tank. I just intervened and heroic leaped because I'm a warrior, but if your offtank is a druid/pally/warrior they can be lifegripped just as easily. I'm glad you enjoyed my video =D

And thanks for your input, I'll change the title right now

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    We did 25man without tank swap. I was tanking boss kiting him around and druid tank took add, we burned Rageface(or another dog that is untankable ? can't remeber wich one does what) and then Druid was kiting his add through trap to freeze it just before boss through away his Polearm, that way we droped stacks (both me and druid). Got it on 3rd or 4th attempt. Pretty much failed before killshot because tried to "play" with threat, kiting dogs through traps seem to work much better.
    Last edited by Larrius; 2011-06-29 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks for posting that, Doee. I'd been looking at different versions of the kite strat all day since last night we tried doing the tank swap and it was a pain.

you're welcome =D the method has been discussed all over the forums now, but there was no real video guide explaining it, and that can be hard on a fight where its all about placement and movement. im glad you enjoyed it =D

That's actually very interesting. Thanks for sharing, and good job with the video!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    One question, why don't you just kite dogs through traps? Made our life much easier, but basicly we went there with 0 experience (didn't play PTR) and just looked through the journal on abilities. Didn't think of Priest life grip etc, traps worked really well for us, so if your raid don't have Prot Warrior - just use traps.

Anyway great video, would help lot of folks.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would this be viable in 10 man, we have a Prot Warr OT and a Fury Warr in the raid as well. Would it work if the Fury Warr acted as the 3rd tank before Riplimb made it back to Shannox.

i don't want to tell you the wrong thing. im not sure if he would be viable...arcing slash might crit him and one shot him. to be honest try it this way with two tanks if your tanks are skilled and have good positional and situational awareness. at first we were only using two, and we were getting the stacks to reset fine, but we were wiping to other stuff like dps omnoming crystal traps, and if there was any flaw in the tank movement, then there would be a small 1-3 second window where shannox would renew the main tanks stacks RIGHT when they were about to fall off. so we added the prot warrior intervene for extra precaution, just because you have that luxury in 25 man. try it with 2 and let me know how it works!

Deleted
    If the tank were to position him self between the boss and a crystal trap, the dog will trigger it as it runs back with the spear and should give you plenty of time for stacks to drop, even if you can't jump away/lifegrip. Either that or tank it next to one and drag the dog into the trap as soon as the boss throws his spear.

Quote Originally Posted by Korbinan View Post
    If the tank were to position him self between the boss and a crystal trap, the dog will trigger it as it runs back with the spear and should give you plenty of time for stacks to drop, even if you can't jump away/lifegrip. Either that or tank it next to one and drag the dog into the trap as soon as the boss throws his spear.
    the only problem we see with that is that riplimb will (generally) be lower in health than rageface, because dps will constantly be pouring into rageface to get him off of your players, and riplimb is running around the room. using the crystal trap on riplimb might be an easy fix to the tank stacks but in the long run you'll find dps much more uneven. at least, we did. but the way we did it used the crystal traps on rageface, who is the lower health dog that you *want* to be trapped to avoid getting your face mauled, and rageface you don't want trapped as much since he'll be a little higher on health. remember, when a dog is trapped they can't be dpsed until the trap is broken or they break out.

I know many guilds have killed it trapping rageface, we just saw this as more of a dps problem that could be easily fixed by simple tank movement

10+ Year Old Account
    That's exactly how we've done it on 10m normal and it works flawlessly.

How did you setup the dps for the strat? Did you just split ranged on the dogs and put melee on the boss the whole fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Toator View Post
    How did you setup the dps for the strat? Did you just split ranged on the dogs and put melee on the boss the whole fight?
    yes we did this. and we put our bigger hitting ranged dps (arcane mage/boomkin etc) on rageface since he needs to take a big hit to get off his target.

Humm, So if you were to use a trap you want to try to position riplimb behind a crystal trap so when he grabs the spaer and returns to shannox he gets frozen? If so it seems the spear spawn point could make riplimb path right next to the trap instead on it. Thought thats just the way i'm seeing it.
    I guess its also viable to kill rageface and he wont start his "burn phase" untill riplimb dies?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boss get 30% buff per each pet death. We found it's easier to heal through 30% more DMG on tank (me) than letting Rageface runing around. So we killed Rageface really fast at the start, boss started hitting 30% harder. All melee on the boss from the start, all range on Rageface then Riplimb. Melee stop DPS on boss at 35% if dog is near to die, kill dog, burn boss, blow BL/Hero.

And our druid tank kited add to place not far away from Crystal Trap (5-10yards) and tanked it near it, as soon as boss mark ground with red light (place where his Polearm will drop) druid kited add into trap freezing it. And both mine and his stacks would drop.

It all depends what your healrs find easier to heal, Rageface damage to raid or 30% more damage on tank.
    Last edited by Larrius; 2011-06-29 at 09:03 PM.

The way we did the fight was fairly simple. We had one tank on Shannox the whole time, and one tank on Riplimb. The Riplimb tank took the dog through 2 fire traps, and then an ice trap to remove the debuff. The Shannox tank we had managed to run away enough to prevent the debuff. We kept me (feral kitty) on Rageface. Ferals can feral charge to get near Rageface when he is doing Face Rage and a 5 combo point ferocious bite with 100% energy was more than enough to break the Face Rage.

The kill order was bring Riplimb down to 30%, then take Rageface to 50%, then we focused on Shannox til he was at 40%. By then the two dogs were about even on health, we burned them, and got them to die within seconds of each other. At that point it was a straight burn on Shannox. By having a feral jumping and breaking Face Rage you can have all DPS focus on the dog who statistically has higher health in the fight. I never once missed a Face Rage. So if you have a feral kitty in your raid you might want to try this strategy. Not sure on 25 man how much damage you need to break the Face Rage, but I was doing about 52k crits with Ferocious Bite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure on 25 man how much damage you need to break the Face Rage, but I was doing about 52k crits with Ferocious Bite.
    It's 45k in 25man. So depending on your group comp you want to make sure and have someone that can hit that hard on command on Rageface the whole time until he dies.

If your healing/tank crew can handle the extra damage easier you can always burn down Rageface. That is how we do it with me tanking Shannox and I've done it in 10m and 25m. Shannox does hit crazy harder, so make sure they are ready for 100k arcing slash's from time to time.

The above kiting techniques apply, you just blow up Rageface first and then Riplimb (with Shannox at ~35% before he dies).
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.