Poll: Shared or Seperate?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shared Lockout or Separate??

We've had this shared lockout for a while now. Personally I think it makes my time in game alot less existent. I used to do 10 man heroics and such on my alts while raiding 25s on my main. Now I do a few 25 runs on my alts, get geared and don't bother playing them after that since theres nothing to work towards.

What are your opinions on shared lockouts vs. separate? What do you prefer and why?

I must say that I preferred the separate lockout system. From a pure progression standpoint, there's a lot of 25man guilds who want to do 25man progression. However, it's much easier to learn a fight and become acquainted with the mechanics in 10man, where it's a lot less chaotic. So in the past, perhaps when a new raid came out, a guild sent a few 10man groups to it so that members could learn tactics, then formed up a larger 25man raid later in the week to do 25man progression where everyone already has experience. Now, though, you're forced to try and learn the fights on the fly in your 25man groups, where there's 2.5x more people trying to input their strategy at once, 2.5x more people standing around cluttering up the space, 2.5x more spell effects flying around making you unsure what's part of the fight and what's not, etc.

Edit: As the post 2 down vv shows, this thread is probably going to be devolve into 25man raiders vs 10man raiders lol. Almost all the 10man guilds are going to hail shared lockout as the greatest thing since sliced bread because they can get the same gear without having to run 25mans now. Meanwhile, all the 25man raiders will probably be upset because 25man raiding is now inherently a bit tougher in an effort to cater to 10man raiders.
    Last edited by Toas; 2011-07-01 at 07:23 AM.

Well the fact 10 mans were easier, also often made it so that you could get gear that was equal to 25 regular gear from 10 heroic. (Some of which was BiS, Heroic WFS off 10 deathwhisper for example). It was a challenge to do on off nights, as well as guild could have a team working towards 10 man kills like heroic LK was, while still going for 25 progression.

---------- Post added 2011-07-01 at 01:03 AM ----------

I am seeing people voting shared. Can you reply and let me know why?
    I really am interested to hear peoples sides on this one.

I am seeing people voting shared. Can you reply and let me know why?
    I'm in a 10m high-end progression guild so I guess I'm a bit biased, if the lockouts were separate then they would have to downgrade 10m difficulty and award it inferior loot again like WotLK.

I was in a 25m guild on WotLK, and got Light of Dawn. I personally didn't enjoy doing ICC four times each week (twice on main, twice on alt), I feel like doing them once on each character is enough. 10m hard modes were just a much much simpler version of 25m hard modes that award the same loot as 25m normal, and since the gear dropped was different and usually there were 1-2 BiS pieces from those (such as trinkets), you were pretty much forced to run it (along with the fact that 10m hard mode progress was tracked by WoWprogress, and you want to rank high, so you want to progress through it).

To me, it just made current content more stale by running the same thing over and over again.
    Last edited by Matik; 2011-07-01 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matik View Post
    I'm in a 10m high-end progression guild so I guess I'm a bit biased, if the lockouts were separate then they would have to downgrade 10m difficulty and award it inferior loot again like WotLK.

I was in a 25m guild on WotLK, and got Light of Dawn. I personally didn't enjoy doing ICC four times each week (twice on main, twice on alt), I feel like doing them once on each character is enough. 10m hard modes were just a much much simpler version of 25m hard modes that award the same loot as 25m normal, and since the gear dropped was different and usually there were 1-2 BiS pieces from those (such as trinkets), you were pretty much forced to run it (along with the fact that 10m hard mode progress was tracked by WoWprogress, and you want to rank high, so you want to progress through it).

To me, it just made current content more stale by running the same thing over and over again.
    Yes but what you see as a burden, I see as a luxury. I liked being able to run a raid 4 times a week. It gave me something to do besides sitting around in Dalaran reading /2. Now I can't even do that. I have to many twice as many chars to run the same amount of raids as I previously could.

Also, no one was really forcing you to run 25man and 10man on your alt every week. Unless your guild's attendance is unstable enough that they require you to have an entirely separate geared alt in case they need it or something, it was your choice to raid 4 times a week. I always viewed alts as kinda just like "Oh hey I'm bored and there's an icc25 pug forming, will jump on my alt and go."

I wouldn't say it made content stale, since 10 mans weren't mandatory, but it gave me something to do and work on on my alts and such.

To be honest it's been kind of a relief to only raid one lockout each week, even though I do enjoy raiding a lot, it just doesn't feel fun clearing the same place twice in a week.

Deleted
    seperate ofc would be less ppl in citys

Shared. I really dont care to feel like I need to do 10 and 25 BH on 4 85s each week, or raid 10 and 25 of the raid I am doing each week.

I have 1 healer main, 1 dps main, 1 tank alt and 1 healer alt. I really really don't care to kill the raid bosses more than once a week. I usually do a few of the easier ones twice, but beyond that 4x bh is as much repetition as I want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    To be honest it's been kind of a relief to only raid one lockout each week, even though I do enjoy raiding a lot, it just doesn't feel fun clearing the same place twice in a week.
    this 100%. I enjoy being progressive, but sometimes for the sake of progression. double clearing just goes too far. Too much burn out. frustrations. how is this fun and a good thing? Yes it was something to do, but I'm much happier in a balance of real life, raiding, and plain whatever is fun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toas View Post
    Yes but what you see as a burden, I see as a luxury. I liked being able to run a raid 4 times a week. It gave me something to do besides sitting around in Dalaran reading /2. Now I can't even do that. I have to many twice as many chars to run the same amount of raids as I previously could.

Also, no one was really forcing you to run 25man and 10man on your alt every week. Unless your guild's attendance is unstable enough that they require you to have an entirely separate geared alt in case they need it or something, it was your choice to raid 4 times a week. I always viewed alts as kinda just like "Oh hey I'm bored and there's an icc25 pug forming, will jump on my alt and go."
    I don't think this is a lockout issue but more of a difficulty problem. With the content nerf alts can actually go raid and have some fun again much like having the ICC buff.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

I like the shared better than the old.

If they seperated the lockout then they would have to make 10man gear worse than 25 again.. and with the current status of the game, that would screw up a majority of people who raid.

Im not saying they can change it. But I really liked how t10 was done. You buy the first piece with Points, than you upgrade with tokens from 25 mans and you can chose what piece to upgrade. I liked having 3 steps to each tier instead of 2.

It let casuals be known as casuals and hardcores could show off what they had.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    seperate lockouts encourages more PUGs to get you to socialize with people not in your guild

I'm mostly torn on this.

On one side, I hated raiding ICC practically every single night when they were separate. I burned out multiple times during Wrath from just raiding too much (yes, I know that was my choice to raid that much). That and I love that my 10man group has an equal shot at everything now (including legendaries).

On the other side, the shared lockout essentially killed 25s for my guild. We've lost quite a bit of people over it. Some I'm not missing, but others it sucked to lose.

Overall, I preferred separate because it gave you a lot more options, but I have things about shared that I do like.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Considering ICC was attempt based, doing an alt raid was very beneficial to help prepare you for the fights with your mains.

Still, even if you don't use alts, it's still repeating the same raid twice each week, just gets boring fast.

Shared, because *having* to do the same raid twice a week to keep up is bullshit.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think having 10 mans as a viable "focused" progression path does nothing but cause more problems than it solves, which is why i preferred the seperate system.

I think having 10 mans as a viable "focused" progression path does nothing but cause more problems than it solves
    Can you perhaps elaborate? I'm in a 10m high-end progression guild and have not faced any problems or issues. Are you saying the problems only occur for 25m raiders?