Poll: Why has Rock and Metal been replaced by Rap and Pop?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    I'm sorry. What the FUCK is he doing with a guitar? I gave it a chance, closed it after he spoke 4 words and puked. How do people even...
    Oh, you think that one's bad? I posted the most easily digestable one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvot3iSsypU

Yup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post

There aren't many rock and metal bands that can approach this level of talent and lyrical meaning. They're out there, but pretending that pop doesn't have great musicians is putting your head in the sand.
    You see i don't consider that to be Pop music - it's a fantastic song i agree.

Pop to me is Britney Spears etc and other regurgitated nonsense that generally involves a scantily clad female bouncing around in her underpants whilst a digitally altered version of her voice is played along with a video.

When i was younger, i was a metal snob to some degree, but not as much as most of my friends, they would not even consider listening to a band because it wasn't metal. I tried to play them a couple of James songs (who are awesome live) but they just laughed, so i never bothered again.

Pop is a very general term - but artists such as the one you have linked should not be branded with a particular genre, they are simply too good for that in my eyes.

Everyone should just sit back and listen to some of the D.

JB&KG

All I know is that most people can't enjoy music unless:

A) All of their friends are listening to it (in which case they're sheep); or
    B) Very few people are listening to it (I'm looking at you, you hipster)

Seriously, I enjoy a lot of music, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks of my taste. I have Zeppelin, Skrillex, and Drake on the same playlist. Know why? Because I have found aspects of each of their musical styles to enjoy. Lil Wayne is poppy, and ridiculous. But have you ever really listened to his lyrics? Funny as hell - just absurd. And I enjoy that. It makes great tune out music for studying. Dubstep/Electronica is great for going apeshit when I'm playing video games. I go old school with some Isaac Hayes when I sex up my lady. Anytime I want to slack off at work, I convince my boss to put on some Old Crow Medicine Show, and we chill over a few whiskey drinks before going back to being productive.

Every genre has hits, shit, and unknown entities. If you can't realize that, you're missing out on a lot of good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepinglamia
    Also another reason being a female is awesome. No epeens Ah not to be controlled by my own genitalia! :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Marath
    This is a good point... do you have e-bajango or e-boobie competitions in the same way?

I like that word... e-bajango

You know what's bugging me now? Why the hell did Disco and Blues die down?

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy both Metal and Rap alike. But Metal requires some skills to be played, and a whole band, while Rap is just a man with a beatbox in essence

Anyways, it was replaced because we are on a "style loop". Eventually, Metal will be on top again in a short-middle future window
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I stopped reading this thread when someone called Anthrax Rap/Metal.

This is a sad day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

what we now call classical music used to be appreciated by people that weren't old. I'm going with that explanation, changing of tastes over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Culture evolves, music evolves with it. Change happens, and metal has remained fairly stagnant. Rock is still alive, via Alternative rock and Indie rock; Classic rock, however, is a thing of the past. Most people are very one-sided, and choose not to see the merit to pop, hip-hop, rap, etc. These types of music are going to carry over, and within 10 years, most radio stations will be airing hip-hop regularly. Why? There IS, in fact, talented artists in the genre, and people will realise this if they open their eyes to something new.

In reality, metal was never as big as you think. Go watch one of those VH1 top one-hit-wonders-of-the-80s, and that's what people were listening to in the 80s (and Thriller). In the 90s, everybody loved Nirvana (and pop). Metal isn't really "dying" because it was never huge to begin with, more of a small-circle type of thing. And back onto the "evolution": Metal went started heavy, and just keeps getting heavier, thus alienating it's fanbase.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Would "their" have been a better choice? =/
    Yes. Limp Bizkit is the name of the band, which consists of (i think) five people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Music genres have changed so much that their name really doesn't matter anymore. What probably qualifies as "pop" music becomes that name simply because it gets more airtime. It's really hard to explain, but there is a station here that exemplifies "pop" music. It plays, literally, the same 20 songs over and fucking over again, to the point where I actually heard the same song three times in one hour. So who decides which songs go into this list of "pop" music? I don't know. But these bands obviously have some way of getting their music on there so much that no one doesn't know who they are. My favorite band is considered (quoting Pandora radio here) "one of the most popular post-grunge bands", and yet anytime they have a new album, I never here their singles on the radio.

So what does this all mean? It comes down to marketing. Who decides which bands get the air? No clue. Find that out and you find your reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Brashen42 View Post
    You see i don't consider that to be Pop music - it's a fantastic song i agree.

Pop to me is Britney Spears etc and other regurgitated nonsense that generally involves a scantily clad female bouncing around in her underpants whilst a digitally altered version of her voice is played along with a video.

When i was younger, i was a metal snob to some degree, but not as much as most of my friends, they would not even consider listening to a band because it wasn't metal. I tried to play them a couple of James songs (who are awesome live) but they just laughed, so i never bothered again.

Pop is a very general term - but artists such as the one you have linked should not be branded with a particular genre, they are simply too good for that in my eyes.
    That's dance-pop that you're thinking of, really. It's what's dominating the scene right now, that's undeniable, but that's not all the same pop. This probably surprises you, as it would pretty much anybody that listens only to good metal, but the metal scene is plagued by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Us8E6KUZg

Mallcore bands are exactly what other genre fans see metal as. Ridiculously popular amongst the majority of people who call themselves fans of the genre. Pretty ridiculous that there are so many great metal bands out there, but so few people even know they exist. Pop is sort of the same way, just much more in the spotlight due to Madonna and all the other Madonna wannabe's out there getting MTV time. The good news is, that's just an offshoot of the genre. Pop isn't all about glam and attempting to be as ridiculous as possible whilst writing shitty music, that's just the fad right now. There are a lot of other artists out there like Regina Spektor that give a breath of fresh air to genres like Pop with actual original takes on that type of music.

You know what's really destroying Music....Sub Genre's, Way to many people are hung up on sub genres now a days. Why is this a problem? Well instead of getting a lot of people liking music as a whole you get all these snob cliques saying my music is better. Take Rock for example, say from the 50's on It drove music into frenzy it is today, Early rock was mostly derived from Blues, which was mostly derived from Folk. Now you have your Rock, hard, metal, pop, alternative, indie...list goes on. Then you take one of those and they all have tons of flavors too. Point being Its all Rock in the end, try pitting it against something different i.e. Rock vs Classical vs Country vs Rap. Even then its all music, well except rap...but they keep on trying so we throw them in anyhow.

I say don't pin yourself to one group, broaden yourself to all types and you'll find that lots of good stuff out there...as well as bad (most rap). Regarding pop, people need to stop deluding themselves and thinking it's own genre...Pop short for Popular, meaning whatever the mainstream wants to hear Throughout my long life Ive heard all categories get thrown in that Pop wagon. Listen to a top 40 station for a day, you'll hear rock, country, rap, and all its flavors, hybrids and whatever have yous.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinin View Post
    Evolution of the music industry
    its degeneration !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunKenG View Post
    What do you classify limp bizkit?
    Shit.

10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    This probably surprises you, as it would pretty much anybody that listens only to good metal, but the metal scene is plagued by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Us8E6KUZg
    Oh you think this is bad? Check this:

If you have the patience watch it till the end, there are some pretty appalling (yet funny) moments throughout the video, including the crab stance at around 1:16.
    Last edited by Fraza; 2011-07-02 at 11:51 AM.

_I THINK_ that some of the reasons are that todays youth are that 20-30 years ago almost every teenager was rebelling against their parents. Rock and Metal was considered the devils work so alot of the kids back then started listening to it to piss off their parents as religion was way more important to families back then. I guess all of this attention to rock/metal is what brought it into mainstream and it continued to stay there until the next generation of youth came along.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Proioxis View Post
    Haha it's a bit of a shame that some bands aren't that popular.. :/ I often get told I have a really exceptional music taste.

One of my favourite finnish bands, beside Turmion Kätilöt

Also, best for last:

Thank you very much for the instrumental bands you posted. I myself also love instrumental and listen a lot to: Explosions in the sky, Mono, Mogwai, Miaou (lots of bands with M lol) and so on.
    Been wanting some new instrumental bands I havent heard and God is an astronaut - shadows was damn good.

On the metal, I also love Meshuggah. Oh and the best kind of rap is Rage against the machine and one of their song Renegades of funk if as its some kind of rap
    Last edited by mmocbc4c51efd3; 2011-07-02 at 01:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by v1sper View Post
    Like these beautiful harmonic vocals from Kvelertak (NOR) who just made it big last year. Don't generalize, man.

* le video *
    Awesome band, what a shame I didn't hear of them earlier o.O Just downloading their album now n_n

Ontopic:
    Rap/hiphop and all that shit is all the same: About some guy (preferably a black guy) who came from the ghetto and is better than everyone else, and describes any female as a "ho". And that's about every rop/hiphop song there is.

Then we also have our other pop idols: Justin Bieber *puke*, Lady Gaga, just to name the worst...

I am more into music that requires skill to make, where the bands are actually trying to put effort and emotion/feeling into. Not some auto-tuned crap written by someone else with a pc-generated tune on the background.

I'm a great fan of folk-metal myself, and I can also enjoy about any other type of metal. My favourite bands are "Maximum the Hormone", "Finntroll", "Korpiklaani", "Amon Amarth" and "Heidevolk".

If anyone has some cool bands to recommend for me, post it ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Tyilanmenyn View Post
    Ontopic:
    Rap/hiphop and all that shit is all the same: About some guy (preferably a black guy) who came from the ghetto and is better than everyone else, and describes any female as a "ho". And that's about every rop/hiphop song there is.
    Don't generalise, man. Have you listened to about every rap/hiphop song there is?

I really doubt it.