Poll: Why has Rock and Metal been replaced by Rap and Pop?

Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Music] Why has Rock and Metal become replaced by Rap/Pop?

I was reading an article today on Rob Zombie's page today and they basically wanted to know why metal and rock are less popular than back in the 80s and why rap and pop is so popular. For me I posted that it was because many music companies became more 'civilised' and rejected the idea of rebellious rockstars. Also because of many band stories and the fact that not many bands are living it up anymore like they used to. What are your thoughts on this?

Deleted
    Evolution of the music industry

Different generation, I'm 31 & still listening to metal, death, rock whatever but kids these days listen to rap, dance, techno ect. Back in the 70s I guess it was country?

Deleted
    Pop has always been the most popular. It's specificly produced to appeal to the broadest possible audience. If you listen to todays pop and compare it to 10 years ago, it has a very different sound.
    As for rap... I don't agree with the assessment. I'd say that hard rock (in a broad sense including all the millions of sub-genres) is atleast as popular if not more then rap/hiphop (again with sub-genres).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinin View Post
    Evolution? we all know it was god!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinin View Post
    Saying that music has evolved is saying that anything that isn't Rap or HipHop is crap. That's just bias. There's no evolution, it's simply a different generation of people that grew up listening to different stuff that people were listening in the early 80s when they grew up.

It, partly, has become that way just by the nature of fads. Things that are old aren't as good as new.

But one thing I have noticed, is the pop's handicap about how things are today. Today's "youth" (I use this term loosly, many 20-30 year olds also fall under this umbrella) don't want an all encompassing album with some sort of story, or any cohesiveness, they just want a catchy tune or beat that runs throughout the whole song, a song that is not more than 3 minutes long

It's the culture today to get things fast and get them over with. Many people (myself excluded) don't want an 8 minute song with a 3 minute solo...which is disheartening

I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the voices in American Rock / Metal right now. I mean most of it is scream scream yell. Compare that to some of the rock comming out of Europe right now.

I mean take Nightwish they have some amazing vocals. That is just lacking in American rock right now.

Deleted
    I'll give an example here, Japan are one of these countries that still appreciate Rock and Metal as it ws back then. So why the sudden change? Evolution of the music industry is biased as Metal and Rock might be good for others and not as good for everyone else.

Deleted
    Rock and Metal is way to live.All those Rap and Pop music (if u can even call it music) are just money whores.For an example america,why you think theres nonstop crap music on radio playing?$.$

I know people got difrent tastein music but seriously how can you love it.The lyrics and the music it self are bad.

Best country i found and wish i had a chance to visit it Finland.Country where best metal bands come from.Best music best everything.There are other bands ofcourse wich aint from Finland and are good.But i think Finland should be example to everyone.

What do you see in Pop and Rap videos?ALL THE TIME...almost naked womans just shaking their ass...like seriously...i dont lisent to music to see hot woman.For that i have a GF.This is one of reasons i dont like rap and pop.They aint playing the music just for fun or i dont know what,but they just want fast $.$ in their bank accounts.

You're missing an option of "it's better."

Deleted
    Nobody is forcing you to listen to hiphop right? I absolutely love black / thrash metal but I also like rap (I am really picky tho, I only like the kind of music where the artist is expressing himself/herself.)

Same with pop, there are a couple of songs I really fancy, yet most of them are pure rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Magellanmini View Post
    Also because of many band stories and the fact that not many bands are living it up anymore like they used to.
    Screw that. If I want a band to sound like they did thirty years ago, I listen to the album they released thirty years ago.

I used to listen to rap music alot , Now i feel it has become saturated with so much poppy bullshit i dont even waste my time.Now i stick to electro (bloody beerroots,Benny benassi,DM5,......Also love old rock and soul music from the 60's, 70's and early 80's.Not all current bands/groups are bad but if you want to hear good music you have to jump into the inde scene.
    Last edited by Skeegee; 2011-07-01 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magellanmini View Post
    I'll give an example here, Japan are one of these countries that still appreciate Rock and Metal as it ws back then. So why the sudden change? Evolution of the music industry is biased as Metal and Rock might be good for others and not as good for everyone else.
    I don't think it's a fair assessment to say Japan's rock scene is as big as it was here 20 years ago...Have you seen the whole pop idol sensation over there? It's even more fluid than it is here!

But, again, I'll refer to my older post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    But one thing I have noticed, is the pop's handicap about how things are today. Today's "youth" (I use this term loosly, many 20-30 year olds also fall under this umbrella) don't want an all encompassing album with some sort of story, or any cohesiveness, they just want a catchy tune or beat that runs throughout the whole song, a song that is not more than 3 minutes long

It's the culture today to get things fast and get them over with. Many people (myself excluded) don't want an 8 minute song with a 3 minute solo...which is disheartening

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Howard View Post
    You're missing an option of "it's better."
    My bad, click more appealing to teens if you feel that way

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey does anyone know that metal song that goes heavy guitar solo and drum solo and then loudness? ok. my point exactly. Rock is still VERY in style I still enjoy it. T-pain is not a rapper. I HAVE NO IDEA why you guys think whats on the radio is whats the only music. If so Jonas Brothers and Brokencyde are the best rock and metal groups ever in their respective order ofcourse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfiredragon View Post
    Compare that to some of the rock comming out of Europe right now.
    Like these beautiful harmonic vocals from Kvelertak (NOR) who just made it big last year. Don't generalize, man.

Impetus Norvegicus
    Norwegian Empire Community
    Søker etter flere norsktalende spillere
    Guild forum | Guild HQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by v1sper View Post
    Like these beautiful harmonic vocals from Kvelertak (NOR) who just made it big last year. Don't generalize, man.

its to gritty. people dont want to dress in ACDC shirts and wear long shorts with metal zipper and chains

What do you classify limp bizkit?

Metal is the only music worth listening to. Brain dead idiots who think its cool to listen to hip hop and rap and refuse to listen to metal because " metal is full of screaming and cant understand what they say". Bloody stereo typical morons. Hell half the rap music i have heard you cant understand a word they are saying either.

Also todays rock and metal scene over in the UK is terrible. kerrang tv or scuzz are always full teenagers trying to make a quick bit of money whilst sounding like whiney little kids. i believe the media is partly to blaim also. I mean you watch tv and you hear pop music on tv shows or movies. Do you ever hear a bit of Burzum playing on tv? Ofc not. I bet if they rammed metal down peoples throats they would learn to like it.