Poll: Why has Rock and Metal been replaced by Rap and Pop?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Because musical tastes evolve. It has nothing to do with being more "civil", many of the lyrics in rap (especially gangsta rap) are just as (if not more) vulgar than the types of lyrics you heard (and still hear) in rock/metal.

Personally, I've been a fan of alternative rock (e.g. The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Black Keys, etc) for as long as I can remember, and I'll likely stay that way forever.

There is no rap today, It's crap. If you want rap you'd need to go back to the 90s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by DrunKenG View Post
    What do you classify limp bizkit?
    Nothing, I refuse to acknowledge his existence.

Quote Originally Posted by v1sper View Post
    Like these beautiful harmonic vocals from Kvelertak (NOR) who just made it big last year. Don't generalize, man.

What that is i dont even know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different tastes? Maybe it's the new form of rebellion? As rock was then rap is now.

What I don't get is dubstep. I exclusively listen to rock/metal, I know a lot of people who listened to rock/metal like me and love dubstep, but I just couldn't get into dubstep at all. I don't really have anything against rap, most people I've known who listen to rap are douchebags in general.

Also a lot of people just like that fake auto-tune crap.

And a lot of the boyband rock groups that keep popping up nowadays sound really whiny and emo they all sing about the same shit. And practically every band that's metalcore is almost identical in that they sound the same, they sing about the same shit(usually about a girl and some betrayal or some shit), and most of their lead singers fail at live performances unable to hold a growl for shit and just sing the rest of the song clean.
    You better herp yourself before you derp yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    What that is i dont even know.
    It's metal. From Norway. Any argument is invalid. Everyone knows this.

My YouTube channel - Beta videos & raid videos!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Because it's a fad.
    then wait a second.... that makes metal and rock a fad. see what you did? and hey what about your parents they only listen to jazz or something (stereotyping) a little softer and not deathcore heavy metal columbine viriginia tech rock on hardcore music am i right? or am i right?

Why has mainstream rock and metal become replaced by mainstream rap/pop?
    Fixed. And even then, that's not exactly the way it goes. There are many "mainstream" rock bands around.

Also, anyone who's not satisfied with the music scene should just pick up an instrument or search for good music in the darkest corners of youtube instead of whining all the time and throwing around dislike jokes at youtube, driven by nostalgia.

Pop has been mainstream for a very long time, while it's true back in the days, Rock had a fair share of listeners aswell.
    While Hiphop/Rap sounds like complete and utter junk to me, a lot of people must enjoy it because the big names are making big cash.

I'll still enjoy my rock as much as possible.

Also worth noting though, Drum & Bass seems to be making a big name of itself lately, which pleases me because there's some great D&B songs out there.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know... I'm just glad the internet exists so I can get awesome rock and metal for free. I never listen to the radio anyway.

I don't know... I'm just glad the internet exists so I can get awesome rock and metal for free.
    And ultimately make it so that rock / metal bands never get to see any kind of popularity or even any sort of sustentable income.

This is exactly the attitude of rock fans that Im talking about...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunKenG View Post
    What do you classify limp bizkit?
    Nu Rap Metal? I can't even classify that, then again another example of Rap Metal would be Anthrax

I'm going to go with the "It's what my parents listened to" argument. Hard Rock and Metal was big in the 80s, then fans of that music got older and had kids and the kids declared "metal and rock? psh that's what my old man listens to!" and thus the children of earth turned to hip hop and manufactured pop stars whose material is written by groups of producers rather than themselves.

Deleted
    Because grunge is dead, all of the youths these days come from the land of the ice and snow... and nobody knows I'm new wave.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a Hardcore punk fan, but I like Hip hop. I like Reggae, i like ska. I like classical and soundtrack. Why do people have to be close minded with their individualistic tastes? Does it really matter? Music is music, none is scientifically better then the other, no matter people's say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haydude View Post
    I'm going to go with the "It's what my parents listened to" argument. Hard Rock and Metal was big in the 80s, then fans of that music got older and had kids and the kids declared "metal and rock? psh that's what my old man listens to!" and thus the children of earth turned to hip hop and manufactured pop stars whose material is written by groups of producers rather than themselves.
    im not a fan of rap... i like 90s rock and more importantly janes addiction and nine inch nails. you just sound extremely butthurt about the fact that your childhood heros are in and out of rehab, dead, committed suicide, or to old to be of any worth and they never made as much money as a child pop star did. now you begin to argue they stayed trued to their music thats stupid they all do it for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathas View Post
    I am a Hardcore punk fan, but I like Hip hop. I like Reggae, i like ska. I like classical and soundtrack. Why do people have to be close minded with their individualistic tastes? Does it really matter? Music is music, none is scientifically better then the other, no matter people's say.
    mmm, I do like that album of plate-smashing and yodeling...shoudla won album of the year. People are so closed-minded.

But on topic, you're right. People viciously defend their own tastes and declare other's tastes inferior. This can't obviously be the case, because music is built off music, and we all come from the banging of a hollow skull and a grunt of a caveman.

There is still good rock out there that's not metal or some obscure sub category of metal(if someone could explain to me the difference types I'd appreciate it)
    <<< good newer rock band.

Because people who listen to metal/rock are generally annoying douchebags who have no respect for anything else. they don't do their music justice.

can't wait until metal dies completely, it's just terrible music and I laugh when people try to stand up for it.