Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roostah View Post
    lol, everyone is trying to tell them selves that they have done a good investment. by keeping the truegold. i really recognize this from the stockmarket.

many were stockpiling tg to 4.2 - the price did not go up.
    Please, tell me 1 good reason, why the price should have gone up with 4.2. Just 1.
    Trust me, the ones buying because mmo-champ tells em to, and selling when ..dunno, just random..yeah, they will
    lose or come even, maybe a bit with profit.
    The guys who have liven trough some patches/new recipies, know, when to sell.
    And btw->
    well well, if you are that sure, then you should buy all the tg you see now below a certain price. for example the price you started stock piling it before the 4.2? put your gold where your mouth is. (as a few of you are doing)
    Most ppl are doing that so yeah, dunno what ur on about.
    But you sure are right about the stockmarket. The inexperienced ones, who buy since "someone" told em to buy, and sell
    due "someone" told to, yeah, they have tought times. I bet there is no use to say, that in 2 weeks threads like this become
    "i wish i would have kept my truegold" threads, but whatever, you will see in time yourself. Just dont blame the gamblers, when
    you have to pay 1k for it, since you NEED to get ur new shiny on the 1st day available. Since u know, many, if not most ppl need it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Check out this post over at Just My Two Copper, it explains how and why the demand will be in 4.2:

The Cooldown: Understaning Truegold Demand in 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    A company just came out that was hyped but its stocks didnt do well, but they have stated that they will be releasing a new XX item that you and a lot of other think will raise the price of their stock sometime in the foreseeable future, but you have others(OP) who dont.
    An excellent example.

An awful lot of super-smug posts in here, like "You chumps are the reason I make gold, now lick my boots" and "lolz l2invest noob" type trash.
    There's two sides to the coin here, both of which are solid strategies.

1. Sell my stock and make some money now.

2. Bide my time, and see if I cant make more money later.

Take your pick, both have pros and cons, either way don't try to shove it down my throat with some cobbled together stock-market rhetoric.

lol, everyone is trying to tell them selves that they have done a good investment. by keeping the truegold. i really recognize this from the stockmarket.

many were stockpiling tg to 4.2 - the price did not go up.
    many are 'sure' that the increase will come .. i see this every day on stock forums around the world. ppl sitting on bad bets but they are sure it will be a winner one day.
    Anyone with half a brain who was stockpiling Truegold knew that it would take at least 3 weeks for the recipes that will require Truegold to unlock. To clarify, that is patch day + 3 weeks.

If you didn't know this fact then why were you even stockpiling Truegold in the first place?

Anyone who knew the whole story isn't even looking at selling Truegold for a while yet. The only reason those of us who knew what was actually going were looking at Truegold this week was to see if idiots who had't worked out the whole story were panic selling yet. And, yes, they were.

Thank the heavens for dumb people.

Saite

so would it be a good idea to buy alot of truegold atm as its falling? then wait 2 weeks or so and resell?

Quote Originally Posted by carlosturner View Post
    so would it be a good idea to buy alot of truegold atm as its falling? then wait 2 weeks or so and resell?
    The issue here isn't that simple. While the weapons can create a somewhat of a demand, there's always a bottleneck issue with them because of the chaos orb requirement. I don't for a second believe that it'll increase because of the boots considering how rare the living ember will be, so it comes down to the weapons. Again it might be deceiving because truegold right now is at a all time low considering there is nothing to spend it on, but then you also got ppl stockpiling it that there will be competition when the patterns are released. Again the weapons will take BOP chaos orbs that I doubt too many ppl are hording more than a few stacks of chaos orbs. So for me personally, the price might increase somewhat considering there's nothing to spend on right now but I doubt it'll go up to 1k+ (or 200% of what they sell for now). At most I would think it would be more in line with 3-4 months into Cata where there was some demand (vials of sand, etc). I would keep what you have, buy some cheap (I been buying at <450 and don't expect to sell it for more than 650) and use ur transmutes for volatiles.

After reading this thread, seems like only jackasses are the 1s stockpiling so I'll probably use my truegold to reset the market to mess with those ppl thinking everyone is retarded for selling their truegold now. I believe there will be some profit but not that much for pompous assholes to be well assholes. You probably can make just as much gold or more transmuting volatiles and buying transmutes for volatiles than doing this truegold stockpiling.

Deleted
    to all the arguments like "Raider" and "valor Points" - think about it just with one example:

- Its about Weapons - there are NO weapons for VP

- Its not (only) about Raiders - its (mostly) about Casuals and Alts

Remember the only "real" Holypala-Weapon in T11? Coming from Nefarian with a 2nd one from Cho'gall (random-lottery al'akir + boe-maldos with very low droprates). Same for t12-Raids - only Mace is from Ragnaros.
    Now lets see: Less than the half of all guilds worldwide have downed Nef and Chog - so over 50% of all guilds PLUS many Alts PLUS a big bunch of unguilded players PLUS the unlucky ones with unlucky loots PLUS all of the 2nd-Spec-can't get it over our mainneed-Chars have only a Ilvl 353 option from za/zg.
    I bet alone with the healing-mace truegold will be a good investment.

Don't underestimate the casual player who has nothing to spend his money on he did with his gathering-profession. And remember how many blacksmithed brests + waists you could sell even 2-3 weeks before the patch.

Anyone thinking that they'll go up much more than slightly is optimistic in my eyes, alt gear, while it sells, does not sell amazingly well nor is it in huge demand. I imagine a 50% increase to current prices at the start dropping rapidly with huge competition.

Far easier and quicker ways to make more gold right now.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    on the morning of 4.2 I posted 60 True gold bars on AH for 1200g each after been buying at 500g, 10 sold (although I did buy the market out) so I was happy, the rest I have stock piled away with the rest of the mats for weapons and armor which people will buy.
    if I only make 100g proffit on each bar I will be happy, Im more likely to make around 300g proffit per bar once they have been made into items.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdream View Post
    Anyone thinking that they'll go up much more than slightly is optimistic in my eyes, alt gear, while it sells, does not sell amazingly well nor is it in huge demand. I imagine a 50% increase to current prices at the start dropping rapidly with huge competition.

Far easier and quicker ways to make more gold right now.
    More people need to learn transmuting and buying transmute for other things rather truegold = vast profits .

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a 'only time will tell' issue. Too bad this thread will probably be dead by the time the BS Molten Front plans are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I don't think I could count the number of Holy pallys willing pay 10K for a Lightforged Elementium Hammer.
    Every Bear is going to want a Witch Hunter's Harvester.

Truegold is going to be a goldmine.
    Luckily I and lots of Holy pallies I know have already farmed the mats. :P
    Ofc it doesn't say everyone has.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehroh View Post
    Luckily I and lots of Holy pallies I know have already farmed the mats. :P Ofc it doesn't say everyone has.
    The problem is well-informed people like you! Pro-tip: Guys don't farm, rush to the AH and buy the TG in the day that patterns are unlocked.

yep the real profit would be in Blacksmithing not the people hording truegold.

Quote Originally Posted by Zehroh View Post
    Luckily I and lots of Holy pallies I know have already farmed the mats. :P
    Ofc it doesn't say everyone has.
    Many people do that and prepare themselves for changes. Then again many people buy Zephyrites for 20 g a piece when it is the JC daily instead of stockpiling some on days when it goes for a fraction of that (or prospecting their own ore).

Truegold prices will go up once the recipes are unlocked.

Deleted
    Hi,
    I currently have some truegold at the bank and i'm confident that the price will go up in a couple weeks, no problem.
    My main problem is knowing how to make maximum profit of it.
    Do you guys think it is better to sale truegold at the AH or is it wiser to buy a blacksmith's services (orbs) and then sell crafted weapons ?

Quote Originally Posted by Uld View Post
    Hi,
    I currently have some truegold at the bank and i'm confident that the price will go up in a couple weeks, no problem.
    My main problem is knowing how to make maximum profit of it.
    Do you guys think it is better to sale truegold at the AH or is it wiser to buy a blacksmith's services (orbs) and then sell crafted weapons ?
    Id say, it depends how many you got. Crafting, especially when u dont do it urself, is a lot of hassle. Its probably more profit, but it takes more time aswell. At some point, its time vs profit. I mean, i will sell my truegolds for less profit, but the time i spare, i make more profit during that, than the difference crafting vs rare sell- if you get what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    The hit is a sunk cost, you're right. Selling now doesn't mitigate it. As others have mentioned, it's not going any lower, so there's NO reason to be selling now except short sightedness. There's no place to go but up. But hey, make me out to be the fool. I shall laugh all the way to the bank.
    The certainty expressed in the above quote as far as being able to absolutely know when a good has reached its lowest price makes the entire pseudo-economic argument totally laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    The certainty expressed in the above quote as far as being able to absolutely know when a good has reached its lowest price makes the entire pseudo-economic argument totally laughable.
    Mmm, poorly worded I supposed. It is not going to STAY any lower is what I really meant. It is on a decline, the absolute bottom may be lower, but it will go back up. Now is the time to buy, not sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    The hit is a sunk cost, you're right. Selling now doesn't mitigate it. As others have mentioned, it's not going any lower, so there's NO reason to be selling now except short sightedness. There's no place to go but up. But hey, make me out to be the fool. I shall laugh all the way to the bank.
    When using the "sunk cost" argument, you are no longer looking at only what one specific good will do, but in actuality the market in general. When evaluating investment decisions, what may provide the best long term potential can vary greatly. Selling your stock of truegold now my possibly be the best in terms of long-term profit potential if certain factors arise:

1) You do not have enough liquid capital to invest in other products/inventory (admittedly, this probably wasn't the smartest decision in the first place)
    2) The long-term return potential is greater in selling other investments than maintaining your current portfolio (Truegold)

An example (with some extraneous information):

You purchased Truegold when it originally cost 500g expecting prices to increase to 700g after patch (overall long-term max price). Truegold instead dropped in price to 450g each. An evaluation must be made at this point. For your 450g investment in Truegold, will it be more profitable to hold the bars for a current estimated profit of 250g per bar (700g-450g) over the period of time or would it be more prudent to invest in some other investment (for example, elementium ore for prospecting, etc.).

If the overall profit which could be gained from alternative investments >250g for the expected current 450g investment, then it would be prudent to switch to the alternative investment. If the second option would yield profits of <250g for the same investment, then holding onto the inventory of Truegold would be the best course of action. In this scenario, the decision to sell the Truegold is based on maximizing profit, not a "market crash" or "short-sighted" mentality. This is also not accounting for transaction costs (AH fees) or time necessary to facilitate the changes.
    Last edited by quietstrm07; 2011-07-05 at 04:39 PM.