What is the best way to start working out?

I know, maybe not the best of forums to post/ask for this, but after reading some topics on weight loss and all the useful comments it got I might aswell post it here!

So here I am, 24 years old male 1.85m (~7ft.?) in height and weighing 74kg (16.5 pounds?) actually thinking about working out a bit to get in shape. I don't do much excersising, I ride my bike 30min and walk the dog 15min a day, but aside from that I do little to nothing. I'm on a seefood diet, I see food: I eat it.

I'm not very keen on any pills or the like, I would just like some hints/tips on how to start working out. I've been doing push-ups and sit-ups every morning for the last 2 weeks but I have no idea if that's really going to work on the long run. This is why I would like some advice on how best to start getting into shape and how to ramp it up. I like to jog but I have no clue how to do it effectivily, I usually run 3 min and walk 1min until I ran 30min. I don't intend to visit a gym, don't have the money for it. I just want to be a bit more buff and in great condition mostly.

Any general information on how to get started and how to ramp up excersises would be awesome. Anything outside of the gym really. Hopefully inspiring others to do so aswell in the meantime!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never tried it, but P90X or w/e it's called gets alot of praise here. Your diet will have to be in check, doing a clean bulk or "recomp" is something I would suggest. Gonny copy+paste something in another post & adjust it.

-Eat at maintenance or 100-200 calories above, with mostly whole foods/foods you enjoy. Yes it's fine to have a burger, or "junk" food once in awhile. At the end of the day it's calories in > calories out.
    -Meal timing/frequency is irrelevant. Eat @ whatever time you want, even before bed, it doesn't matter.
    -Be sure to get in about 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb of muscle mass, .4-.45 grams of fat per body body weight. Fill the rest with carbs, or a combination of the 3.

I could toss out how much you need, but I'd be off. Best way is to try ~2500 calories for about a week(guesstimation lol). Adjust from there accordingly, or go to the link below & figure it out yourself. You'll have to use one of the formulas, & plug in your: Height, weight, age(depends on which you use), body fat %, & lean body mass.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Supplements aren't needed. But I'd suggest to get a decent multi, fish oil, & protein powder(if you're not getting enough protein from your diet). I'm a "gym rat", never really done a whole lot outside of it. So, I'm not really of help there.

A fully grown up man needs about 2500 calories A DAY, and thats for someone who doesn´t do any exercise.
    so u need about 3000 - 3500 calories per day

1m = 3 feet 1KG = 2.2 pounds Other than that, start taking long walks, then jog, then run, then start lifting weights. Lifting weights with poor cardio is a very bad idea.

biking is a great form of cardio because it doesn't put as much stress on lower body joints as running does, same goes for swimming. Push ups and sit ups are great, you should look into doing them in sets if you aren't already. If you are not going to go to a gym and want to tone up then i'd suggest purchasing a fitness ball and some resistance bands to put some variety into your morning workout. You can google different workouts with those, and there are a LOT of them.

P9OX is good I hear but if you don't want to purchase any equipment then try one called "Insanity" it is also made by Beachbody. I personally use it and i find it excellent, I switched to it after going to the gym every day which just wasn't targeting enough areas of my body to get rid of that last bit of fat. it alos comes with an elite nutrition guide if you really want to have that perfect body (as for myself I don't follow it due to social gathering and feeling rude turning down chocolate biscuits and stuff offered to me )

For some general tips, sit ups will not get you results you want, you need to target deeper muscles. I don't know what the rules and stuff are with copyright on forums and stuff so all I can suggest is that you look at workout programmes and find one which you think you can follow, alos, don't waste money on these trivial abdominal machines, they are a waste of time (in my opinion).

You will have to be prepared to spend a bit of money though (though you wont have to pay for a gym membership) a gym will work if you keep at it but there are much cheeper ways. It is all down to what you think will work for you though, exercise programmes will require 5-7 day dedication for max results or you can use them for some ideas for workouts you enjoy and just create your own programme.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shikomei_TFC View Post
    I've never tried it, but P90X or w/e it's called gets alot of praise here. Your diet will have to be in check, doing a clean bulk or "recomp" is something I would suggest. Gonny copy+paste something in another post & adjust it.

-Eat at maintenance or 100-200 calories above, with mostly whole foods/foods you enjoy. Yes it's fine to have a burger, or "junk" food once in awhile. At the end of the day it's calories in > calories out.
    -Meal timing/frequency is irrelevant. Eat @ whatever time you want, even before bed, it doesn't matter.
    -Be sure to get in about 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb of muscle mass, .4-.45 grams of fat per body body weight. Fill the rest with carbs, or a combination of the 3.

I could toss out how much you need, but I'd be off. Best way is to try ~2500 calories for about a week(guesstimation lol). Adjust from there accordingly, or go to the link below & figure it out yourself. You'll have to use one of the formulas, & plug in your: Height, weight, age(depends on which you use), body fat %, & lean body mass.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Supplements aren't needed. But I'd suggest to get a decent multi, fish oil, & protein powder(if you're not getting enough protein from your diet). I'm a "gym rat", never really done a whole lot outside of it. So, I'm not really of help there.
    This is all very relevant to you OP so pay extra special attention to it. Also unless you are able to invest in the gym or a set of weights go and do some research on bodyweight workouts. This one http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler57.htm is just a basic routine, but I suggest you have a look around and find one that bests suites you.