Thread: HDMI Debate

HDMI Debate

Hey all, I'm a tad confused if I should get a new monitor with HDMI capabilities or stay with my current one

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236088CVF

Now I tried to google and find out the difference between HDMI and DVI but it's only providing me with the fact that HDMI also carries audio, I can't find any picture comparisons. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is the difference noticeable while gaming and watching movies or it's not worth it?

Also, if I end up buying a new one, can someone please also explain what's the deal with the backlight matter? As in, is it preferable to get a monitor with or without it? Suggestions are very welcome, thanks for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    HDMI is DVI with sound, and an easier to plug connector. Picture quality-wise both are fully digital so there should be absolutely zero difference.

Pin based connectors are so last decade. Long live duck faced connectors.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think it'll really make a difference on a monitor. All I'm using my HDMI slot for at the moment is driving the TV because having the sound attached is really useful. Also the cable is significantly thinner.

HDMI was also designed to be a standard for HD media interfacing, where DVI was mostly intended for the computer market.
    You can find HDMI on pretty much anything that outputs or inputs video nowadays, places people would never have thought to stick DVI.

If you are upgrading based solely on what type of connector it uses, then don't upgrade. The signal quality is exactly the same, the delivery method is all that is different here.

Deleted
    Being digital, there aren't any image quality differences between the two. HDMI does support YCbCr color format though if thats prefered, wheras DVI strictly supports RGB.

Dual-Link DVI can handle higher resolutions, while HDMI can handle audio.

HDMI supports numerous secondary features, which includes certain amounts of cross-link commands (e.g. device turn off, switch channel, DRM, etc - though I know of no monitor that handles this), and the connector and wire is also SIGNIFICANTLY smaller.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-07-07 at 06:21 PM.

There's always the added bonus of being able to use the HDMI cable for something else that needs sound, in the off-chance you won't be using the computer.

I found when I used the HDMI cables on my computer monitors the picture ended up being slightly blurrier. Could have just been crappy cables or something, but its a digital signal so I doubt it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    HDMI is DVI with sound, and an easier to plug connector. Picture quality-wise both are fully digital so there should be absolutely zero difference.
    This

A digital signal is not phsycially capable to be stronger/weaker than any other digital signal. There is not one single difference in video quality between the cheapest DVI cable and the most expensive HDMI cable.

Either the signal works, or the signal wont work. There is no inbetween.

The HDMI have other features tho.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

So the way I understand it, it's basically a very minor difference with regards to the YCbCr vs RGB color format. Other than that, the additional features on HDMI are mainly that it carries sound and can also be used on TV's. If that's the case, I will not be buying a new monitor. Thanks to everyone for the advice and saving me some money

Deleted
    Doesn't HDMI also have some kind of DRM mechanism coded into it that somehow prohibits you from watching pirated movies. I remember reading something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Doesn't HDMI also have some kind of DRM mechanism coded into it that somehow prohibits you from watching pirated movies. I remember reading something like that.
    Both DVI and HDMI are secure connections because they're digital so they both feature that DRM for Bluray.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say save the HDMI for connecting your computer to your TV. I got a standard DVI on my monitor and then I got my HDMI going to my receiver and out to my HD TV for when I want to have some fun and to watch Bluray