Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    LOL for 2000$ you can get a computer like mine in the sig, and it would be a little faster since you would use the new sandy bridge i5, and I'm using the first gen i7.

Stay away from companies, building a computer is very simple. If it looks like it can fit or go there, it probably does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

10+ Year Old Account
    I really really wanted an Alienware.. When I was 12. Then I grew up out of my ignorance
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Is it a good computer? Yes, no doubt about it. Is it worth it for that amount of money? To some, maybe, but from an objective standpoint it is not as you could potentially build the same exact computer for much, much less.

As others have stated; assembling your own computer will be cheaper and will also yield a computer that is yours; personal. If you are set on an Aurora and have the money - by all means go for it - but remember that the same amount of cash can result in a much BETTER computer if you choose to assemble it yourself.

I know the "pretty computer" argument was like 2 pages back... but... I LIEK PRETTY COMPUTERS!

But on the plus side, you can take any computer and put lots of lights in it and make it pretty Nice chilly components + SPARKLE LIGHTS = Happy me ;D

(I really should work on my computer not being green, blue AND red on the inside...)

To the OP: There's a prebuilt computer on cyberpower for $799 with an i5-2500k that looks pretty good too me. Can go much higher and have shinier things, obviously ;P

No do not get an alienware, i had one and i got one 2 times better for the same price after UPS broke mine.

I recommend, www.ibuypower.com

or if you know what your doing and build your own from scratch www.newegg.com

Alienware just plain sucks compared to what you can choose yourself.

---------- Post added 2011-07-10 at 09:56 PM ----------

I had a alienware area-51 X58 fyi

the graphics card was failing anyways :/

---------- Post added 2011-07-10 at 10:05 PM ----------

Oh and dont worry about trying to make your computer better than the specs needed for a game too much(even though i did) the human eye cant even recognize i think 35+ fps.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rytlock Brimstone View Post
    Oh and dont worry about trying to make your computer better than the specs needed for a game too much(even though i did) the human eye cant even recognize i think 35+ fps.
    oh god not another of these posts.... I really oughta save my responses to these.

Long story short, no, your eye can see more than 60 fps. Why do you think when you see 60 fps it looks crisper than 30? That's because your eye detects it. The only reason most TVs up until recently have always been like 25fps tops is because they use this effect called "motion blur." There's a reason most monitors are 60hz, and now they're bringing out a lot of monitors and TVs that are 120hz. If you want more in-depth explanation, I'm not the only person on these forums who will explain it.

---------- Post added 2011-07-11 at 03:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Yeah, I had a mate the same... I said I'd build him a computer (with free maintenance!), but no... He wanted an Alienware computer because "It's an Alienware computer, man!"

I also suggested him hold off, as Sandy Bridge was just about to be released, but no. He had £1,500 burning in his pocket

Me = -_-' I can build a computer for cheaper, and with better specs - You can just pick an alienware case to go with it.
    Him = (Y) But I want an Alienware!

He ended up changing out a GPU within a month and a couple of months later he had to send it back for maintenance some reason or another, I can't remember... I think he said something was (supposedly) damaged during transit.
    Sounds strangely similar to the story of my friend whose laptop stopped working.. she sent it into Dell Alienware and they said there was water damage to the mobo. She never actually had never gotten liquid on it, she treated it very well.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

oh god not another of these posts.... I really oughta save my responses to these.

Long story short, no, your eye can see more than 60 fps. Why do you think when you see 60 fps it looks crisper than 30? That's because your eye detects it. The only reason most TVs up until recently have always been like 25fps tops is because they use this effect called "motion blur." There's a reason most monitors are 60hz, and now they're bringing out a lot of monitors and TVs that are 120hz. If you want more in-depth explanation, I'm not the only person on these forums who will explain it.

---------- Post added 2011-07-11 at 03:53 AM ----------

"Motion Blur" is actually a negative term in association with video. What you are refering to is 3:2 pulldown for NTSC or 2:2 pulldown for PAL for 60Hz displays. 120Hz was selected for NTSC because it was the lowest common denominator between films 24 fps and televisions 30 fps. This is so that the pulldown method is not needed increasing image fidelity.

Your eye works with a constant stream of light. So anything that is flickering like a camera shutter no matter what the FPS will never be as good as human vision. The only limit is how fast your brain can process the image. Read up on the persistence of vision.

Alienware are good computers but there is competition in the business that Im sure if you shopped around you could find something more substantial for a good value without compromising parts or having to ask what brand of RAM they use. lol
    Last edited by Voltage-PC; 2011-07-11 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Wow, what a cocky, disrespectful, and ignorant post.

A. I recently found that Alienware's warranty (lol it's actually Dell) sucks, my friend's laptop stopped working, she sent it in to Dell, they told her they would replace the motherboard that apparently got water damage on it... for a whopping $580! And she only got the damn thing 6 months ago! YES it was under warranty too. Have fun, "boi."

B. Half priced shitty homemade computer? You've obviously not seen the looks of most of our computers. Go take a look in the "post your gaming setup" forum thread.

C. You have nothing to show off but your arrogance, which isn't a good thing to show off.

D. Only 60-70 fps? And you spent $2k+tax? Wow, I get better than that and I spent less than you.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamnn.

And you say i'm cocky/disrespectful?

Come on now, I was just stating my opinion!

A - I've also had a friend purchase an Alienware! He bought a 2 year warranty ( I believe ) And about a year and 3 months after he purchased the machine, the entire water cooling mechanism broke, and (in my own words) fucked up his machine. He contacted Dell, sent his machine in, got a brand new one back within the month. Not sure what warranty your friend had, but... It's not a good one.

B - I simply don't like the.. "box" type of most cases. All of Alienware's are nice, clean case, with an excellent lighting.

C - When I have friends over, and I show them a fantastic light show using my Alienware case, it gets a few "Oohs and Aahs". Or if you go into a raid and AOE and still get 60 - 70 FPS. - If you haven't read up, anything more than 60 FPS, you don't notice a difference.

D - First, where the hell did you get 2k from? Do your research, unless you're buying the higher than the Aurora, you're not paying over 1 - 1.5k. ( Oh - I also had a discount, 10% off ). I'm sure you can do better, because you have the knowledge to make a computer. I don't. ( As I stated before, but obviously my ignorance led you into an ogre like nerd rage, which is OK too.)

Daaaaaaaaaaaamnn. - Refer back to my very first statement. Also - Opinions are opinions, don't get so offended by them.
    Last edited by Jumpieboi; 2011-07-11 at 06:23 AM.