Frustrating pet mechanics.

Well as title, I really find the new uh, AI.. for pets to be beyond stupid. I have no idea who or what was tested but it is barmy.

For example, as affliction, the pet is obviously the slow moving, no charging, melee fel puppy. I used to leave my pet on defensive whereby it would attack my first target, and then move on to current target after that dies. If something hit me, it would take that as the next target. Seems like a perfect defensive mode to me.

But now, defensive means "will only attack something that has actually hit you, and will return after if you use pet attack command" while assist mode means it runs around aimlessly towards whatever I have attacked, no matter where on the field that is. Sorry but that is utterly fecking useless! How often does affliction change target!? Most of the time my target is the other side of the room and so no dps is done by it at all. Oh it reached the target but I'm already back on the original? Back across the room he goes!

I really cannot fathom who or why anybody in QA passed this change. Binding a number of skills to petattack macro is inadequate, constantly looking to see if my pet actually has a target is also inadequate and not really what I like about warlocks, and so is assist mode. Just seems like this whole change to pets is utterly uneeded and made by someone who never uses them.

same with hunter pets...yes annoying

So, put pet on passive, ctrl + 1 on your main target (or the target you want the pet) and he will stick to that target, if he/she uses vanish or anything preventing the pet to follow, he come running back to you, and you send it to attack again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haven't directly noticed this, yet it would explain why my dps on shannox was soo.. meh.. even with the nice multi dotting.

Deleted
    Personally, /petattack is part of my Haunt macro, so my puppy stays on my main target regardless

explains why my hunter has been having trouble though - thanks, hadn't spotted that!

On Shannox I noticed that the Felpuppy was most of the time just running around rather than attacking targets due to multidotting. I was using the assist mode. I guess I'll use Passive mode next time and manually click the puppy to attack something.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't used the new pet stances yet, as I have been keeping my pet on passive with macro abilities for the past 2 years... so i can't really give advice on how to control it in defensive or the new assist stance. However, I can tell you that the best pet control is with passive stance and attack macros built into your normal spell rotations.

Example:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Incinerate
    /petattack [nomod,combat]
    /cast [nomod,combat,@pettarget,exists] Firebolt

And a "rubberband" pet control macro to recall him off a target during a fight would be something very important for fights like Omnitron, or other fights where it is important to stop damage on a target, or switch targets fast.

example:
    /petattack [nomod, @pettarget, noexists]
    /petpassive [nomod, @pettarget, exists]

My "rubberband" macro is keybound to F2, so that during a fight I can hit that to have him stop attacking and clear his target, and then either let my macro abilities force him to attack my new current target, or hit F2 again to make him attack what I what him attacking.

Deleted
    The one thing i seriously dislike with the new "pet aside while u are mounted" is that sometimes pet just disapears. Just ran trough tol barad and some spiders attacked me while i was mounted. And my felpuppy just disapeared :S same goes sometimes in BGs he just .... PUUUUF, gone. Hes not THAT far away eather, go figure.

when you are in combat your pet runs at normal speed