Some questions about SPs and DoTs

Hello Friends,

I'm currently leveling a Shadow Priest and it's a lot of fun, however, I do have some (probably stupid) questions:

1. Does jumping increase the procc chance of the Shadowy Apparations? I do most of my questing by just multi dotting 3-4 mobs and then running around like an idiot to procc them, but would just jumping be sufficient?

2. How exactly do buffs affect my DoTs? I'm playing a Troll priest, so I was wondering if i could just use my Berserk when my DoTs are up to give them the haste boost or do I need to cast them during the buff? (same goes for the Empowered Shadows)

3. During bossfights should I keep Mind Blast on cooldown or should I always wait for 3 Shadow Orbs?

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by Chiruru; 2011-07-12 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiruru View Post
    Hello Friends,

I'm currently leveling a Shadow Priest and it's a lot of fun, however, I do have some (propably stupid) questions:

1. Does jumping increase the proc chance of the Shadowy Apparations? I do most of my questing right now by just mutli dotting 3-4 mobs and then running around like an idiot to procc my Shadowy Apparations, but would just jumping be enough?

2. How exactly do buffs effect my DoTs? I'm playing a Troll priest, so I was wondering if i could just use my Berserk when my DoTs are up to give them the haste boost or does it only work when I place them on my target during the buff? (same goes for the empowered shadows)

3. Should I keep Mind Blast on cooldown or should I always wait for 3 Shadow Orbs?

Thanks in Advance
    1. Not sure. Why not try jumping and see what happens.

2. Any buffs, this includes procs from trinkets, racial buffs, Power Torrent, and other such things, only affect your dots if you cast them after the procs, except Shadow Word: Pain which gets refreshed from Mind Flay.

3. Use Mind Blast on Cooldown.

10+ Year Old Account
    No jumping won't help proc Shadowy Apparations.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. No. Jumping probably hinders it, actually, as the game reads you as remaining in the spot you started your jump. I do not know for sure though. Only enough to tell you that jumping certainly doesn't improve it.

2. All buffs (Except for Intellect) calculate based on cast/re-apply. So haste before casting dots to get the most effect. That said, if you cast mind flay to refresh SW:P, it will take current buffs into account then, too. Intellect automatically apply on each tick, though.

3. Keep it on CD at max lvl. For lower levels, I'm not entirely sure, but I'd still say cast it if you even have one shadow orb.

1) Tooltip reads "While moving, the chance to summon the shadowy apparation is increased...". I'd say movement means moving, not just jumping.

2) Empowered Shadows and any other short term buff (bloodlust, berzerker, trinkets, etc) are applied to the dots when the dots are applied to the target. They then remain on the dot for the entire duration, or until they are recast. Since Shadow Word: Pain is auto-refreshed by mind flay, you should really only focus on putting VT and DP up right before your buffs wear off (same for Shadowfiend).

3) Mind Blast on cooldown, even when you have no shadow orbs up, unless your ES buff has less time remaining than the cooldown on MB (6.5 seconds with full Imp MB talent), in which case you should hang back on your MB, keep mind flaying, and if necessary overwrite your VT/DP right before ES falls off and then Mind Blast, as you have another 15 seconds of empowered VT to get another Shadow Orb. Sometimes he RNG really kills you, but usually you can cheese it with overwrites.

1. I think the game considers someone jumping as not moving since it tracks whether you've moved based on your position on the ground. I haven't tested this though I've heard that your place is not updated when hunters disengage out of lava (the damage ticks don't stop until they hit the ground).

2. Think you have to recast your dots, other than the ones that refresh with an ability (SW: Pain).

3. I believe keeping Empowered Shadow up by casting Mind Blast > waiting for 3 stacks to cast Mind Blast. It used to not be so important to keep Mind Blast on cooldown, but since the increase to direct damage spells/decrease to DoTs I'm not sure if that still applies.

1-You don't have to "run around"...just side-step, as you hit an instant spell...strafe just a wee bit...
    2-recast dots, after a buff, like everyone's saying
    3-The orbs are nice, but not enough to "wait" for (don't rely on RNG--if you proc it, it will come)...Empowered Shadows is much more important to keep up...besides MB hits hard(er), now!

OP, you say you are leveling, so remember that, while leveling, it's probably more important for you to watch your mana, than worry about orbs. And, remember to try and tailor your attacks to the type of enemy...just trash, you can probably dot and MF, if they die quickly. For bosses, where the fight lasts, use your full arsenal, and "juggle" your attacks, for maximum damage. For help with priority, I'd recommend an addon, like Spellflash, to help you see what/when to use, and it will also help you to arrange your priority attacks, on your keyboard...also, use a cast bar mod, to show you when you can start the next spell, before the current one stops, allowing for lag...this will help your dps a lot!!

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Bluepoet; 2011-07-12 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiruru View Post
    Hello Friends,

I'm currently leveling a Shadow Priest and it's a lot of fun, however, I do have some (probably stupid) questions:

1. Does jumping increase the procc chance of the Shadowy Apparations? I do most of my questing by just multi dotting 3-4 mobs and then running around like an idiot to procc them, but would just jumping be sufficient?

2. How exactly do buffs affect my DoTs? I'm playing a Troll priest, so I was wondering if i could just use my Berserk when my DoTs are up to give them the haste boost or do I need to cast them during the buff? (same goes for the Empowered Shadows)

3. During bossfights should I keep Mind Blast on cooldown or should I always wait for 3 Shadow Orbs?

Thanks in Advance
    1. Nope, when 4.0 first hit apparitions didn't have a cap so you could run around and proc as many as you wanted on dummies, after a few weeks they nerfed it to only being able to have 3-4 out at a time. And no, jumping doesn't effect anything.

2. Your DoTs take on any buffs you have at the time you cast them, IE pre pull I pop zerking/potion and for the first set of DoTs I'm at the top of the meters because of the ridiculous amounts of ticks I get. Empowered shadows is a bit more tricky, since it is a by product of using up Shadow Orbs (our mastery) the only buffs it can take on are Mastery ones, so I wouldn't worry too much about it while leveling.

3. Depends on your gear and how long on emp. shadows. Atm I use MB whenever I get an orb proc, whether it be 1, 2, or 3. But in endgame your goal should be first keeping emp shadows up as much as possible.

Deleted
    One note about dots and buffs. You don't have to recast them if your target gains a debuff such as %spell damage taken. You DO have to recast them if YOU gain a buff that will increase your damage dealt (including trinket procs / ES / power torrent), also if you gain mastery from a proc (theralions mirror / necro focus etc) you won't gain the benefit until you refresh empowered shadows, you also won't lose the benefit of the proc until that ES ends or is refreshed after the proc ends.

I have a question!!!! Is it ok to clip mind flay for other skills, such as reapplying VT, DP, MB with no orbs, or MB with 1-3 orbs. Ever since 4.2 everyone says MB on cooldown but when the cooldown comes up im usually in the middle of Mind Flaying, To clip or not to clip?

You should always clip MF.... There is a longer thread on how and why/when are the best times to clip MF here.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    You should always clip MF.... There is a longer thread on how and why/when are the best times to clip MF here.
    That tread you linked to is so full of win, thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    in pvp you earn your gear. in pve its a group of 25 people doing a scripted fight, then argue over loot. take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Ty. will try this now.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrilshotgun View Post
    2. All buffs (Except for Intellect) calculate based on cast/re-apply. So haste before casting dots to get the most effect. That said, if you cast mind flay to refresh SW:P, it will take current buffs into account then, too. Intellect automatically apply on each tick, though.
    I honestly never knew that. Gonna try it out.
    People complaining about arena queues? Oh, my sweet summer child. What do you know of waiting? Waiting is for the dungeon finder, where the average time is 25 minutes and children are born and live and die all before they find a fucking tank.

On the jumping thing, it's hit or miss with blizzard and what they consider "movement." Good example is the heroic blood prince fight in ICC, jumping would give you stacks of shadow prison.

It's annoying to say the least...