Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Why does high quality PC gaming have to be so expensive!

580 tears 480 a new one in DX11 titles though, just get a proper custom PCB 580 and OC that

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    It's because..... um..... it looks... no that's just aesthetics..... uh, um.....

IT IS A HOBBY! XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Hit and miss really, i'd personally go for the 570 purely because of the better fabrication process, GF100 was flawed (Charlie at semiaccurate just loves to point this out!), but nether the less is true.

The GF110 however are fantastic chips (have a GTX580 non reference board in this myself, had a reference 470 prior). But yeah can get around the problem with a better power phase design and aftermarket cooler, however, both the 570 and the 480 reap the benefits from that, so id personally go with a 570, more or less because of the updated fabrication process.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    580 tears 480 a new one in DX11 titles though, just get a proper custom PCB 580 and OC that
    I honestly don't see the point, do you? -> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/309?vs=305

GTX580 is 10-20% faster than GTX480, even in Metro 2033 at 2560x1600 size, but costs 60% more. I call that fucking stupid and pointless use of money when you can buy a $300 GTX480 and OC it that 10-20% up to match $500 GTX580.

Top of the line graphics cards is always the biggest waste of money
    in computer building, price/performance ratio stops linear growth and goes exponential. Also the loss of value over time follows the same pattern. GTX480 used to cost that $500 only year ago but have dropped 40% in price, while GTX460 for example lost only 25% of it's 'value'.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    I honestly don't see the point, do you? -> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/309?vs=305

GTX580 is 10-20% faster than GTX480, even in Metro 2033 at 2560x1600 size, but costs 60% more. I call that fucking stupid and pointless use of money when you can buy a $300 GTX480 and OC it that 10-20% up to match $500 GTX580.

Top of the line graphics cards is always the biggest waste of money
    in computer building, price/performance ratio stops linear growth and goes exponential. Also the loss of value over time follows the same pattern. GTX480 used to cost that $500 only year ago but have dropped 40% in price, while GTX460 for example lost only 25% of it's 'value'.
    I'd say I see a point, yes. There is a clear difference in DX11 titles and DX11 is getting more popular by day. 580 rapes 480 upside down when it comes to tesselation.

But then again, I guess not everyone makes crapton of money and can afford these choices. But I'd go with 580 any day over 480 if money wasn't a big issue.

Deleted

And you can OC gtx580 to make the gap even greater. /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    And you can OC gtx580 to make the gap even greater. /facepalm
    Still the same 10-20% performance difference with 60% price difference. Way to miss the point by a lightyear or so...

Also I don't care if you stick your face into palm or apple pie or pile of dung.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Still the same 10-20% performance difference with 60% price difference. Way to miss the point by a lightyear or so...

Also I don't care if you stick your face into palm or apple pie or pile of dung.
    Nope, you were saying like overclocking would close the gap but it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Unexplained View Post
    Hey guys, I am wanting a new graphics card now for BF3 and Crysis 2 with new new DX11 Update and Hi-Res Textures and I want to get into benchmarking. So I was wondering if the:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-532-_-Product

Was worth it to get? People say that you can overclock it to a 580's performance and that with the lightning version of the card its quieter and can overclock to 800-850 Mhz. Or should I just wait for the 600 series?

By the way im getting a new rig next year to go with this card to eliminate the bottlenecks and im going to sell my current XFX 6870 Black Edition to a friend for like 120-160 bucks with the warranty and all original packaging and accessories is that a good deal?

Thanks
    Even a GTX580 has major trouble running Crysis2 with dx11 all maxed @ 2560x1600. 480 would propably do like 10-15fps due to heavy DX11 usage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Considering that it's a hobby, it's a really inexpensive one, in fact. EDIT - especially for Americans. Everything computerrelated is inexpensive in the Americas.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-07-14 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    I'd say I see a point, yes. There is a clear difference in DX11 titles and DX11 is getting more popular by day. 580 rapes 480 upside down when it comes to tesselation.
    No, you still dont see the point.

That's 30 vs 35 fps on Unigine Heaven benchmark at extreme settings, and nothing in games will push Tesselation further. 15% speed difference in favor of GTX580, which costs 60% more. It's very bad price/performance ratio, and I don't see any raping happening, except the rape of your wallet/credit card when going with 580 over 480 or 570.

edit:

Roughly the same 15% difference also in Metro 2033 on 2560x1600 resolution and only around 10% difference in Call of Pripyat which is getting awfully close to margin of error. Those are probably the best examples of Tesselation and other DX11 tricks used in mainstream games today, so you can't nitpick about synthetic benchmarks either.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-07-14 at 10:00 AM.
    Trolling should be.

My wallet can take it so it's all cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unexplained View Post
    Hey guys, I am wanting a new graphics card now for BF3 and Crysis 2 with new new DX11 Update and Hi-Res Textures and I want to get into benchmarking. So I was wondering if the:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-532-_-Product

Was worth it to get? People say that you can overclock it to a 580's performance and that with the lightning version of the card its quieter and can overclock to 800-850 Mhz. Or should I just wait for the 600 series?

By the way im getting a new rig next year to go with this card to eliminate the bottlenecks and im going to sell my current XFX 6870 Black Edition to a friend for like 120-160 bucks with the warranty and all original packaging and accessories is that a good deal?

Thanks
    have you not seen all the youtube videos of people cooking eggs on the 480's? they are failed cards. unless you get an aftermarket cooler for it you might as well go for a 570/6950

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    have you not seen all the youtube videos of people cooking eggs on the 480's? they are failed cards. unless you get an aftermarket cooler for it you might as well go for a 570/6950
    The card OP linked and you quoted has vastly improved cooler and board design. It's not old reference card from two years ago...
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    How is that even slightly a trouble if it's built to take it?

No, I won't claim the GF-100 to be a raving success, in fact, GF-110 is all the GF-100 should've been. But people are exaggerating their shortcommings. They are by no means the most optimal cards, but they're solid good graphics cards.

Im a owner of a gtx 480. http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...015-P3-1482-AR
    Its a version that has a backplate for extra cooling. I bought it to from a guy in a forum, it was pretty cheap. I can't remenber the values I have it on but it has some oc on it. I can tell you that even now (summer Time) in never goes over 85º celsius.
    That also what case and fans you have.
    I know the gtx480 consumes arent great but it can take about any game on the market. Plus theres an article on tom hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-480,2875.html that shows how this card improved.

Atm I think its one of the best deals you can do in therms of bang for buck.
    Btw I dont know what kind of PSU you have but to handle that version of 480 (lightning) you need a good one. At least a corsair 650w.
    Last edited by psyched; 2011-07-14 at 10:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a friend with a pny gtx 480, and hes always complaining about the heat, and the crashes from it.

Myself, I have a gtx 570, they run at 28 during the day/monring and 35c at night. (obviously GPU1 will run hotter) The GTX 570 in my eyes is a MUCH better card then the gtx 480. I would go near a 480 unless it was on water to be honest. They are way to hot. How does 90+ c degress sound, and a f**k ton of power draw?

NOT WORTH IT. Sure they were good on performance, but I would rather have something a little slower than sitting in a room thats 90+ c degrees and loud fan speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Quote Originally Posted by psyched View Post
    Im a owner of a gtx 480. http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...015-P3-1482-AR
    Its a version that has a backplate for extra cooling. I bought it to from a guy in a forum, it was pretty cheap. I can't remenber the values I have it on but it has some oc on it. I can tell you that even now (summer Time) in never goes over 85º celsius.
    That also what case and fans you have.
    I know the gtx480 consumes arent great but it can take about any game on the market. Plus theres an article on tom hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-480,2875.html that shows how this card improved.

Atm I think its one of the best deals you can do in therms of bang for buck.
    Btw I dont know what kind of PSU you have but to handle that version of 480 (lightning) you need a good one. At least a corsair 650w.
    It's hot enough already in my computer room during summer, I don't need a 85c generating GPU to heat it up even more. I like my 50c gtx580 fine.

@hinaaja
    That temp is in full load with oc. I usually dont have the fans working high because I dont like noise.
    I also would like the 50 c of the 580 but it costs more than the double i payed for my 480.
    I bought a gtx 480 from a guy for 190 euros 4 months ago (it had 1 month usage), the same version of it but with gtx 580 costs 436 euros.
    580 It just too expensive and you get what? 10 frames more? grats on that.
    If user wants a more recent just go for a 570 with a custom cooler.