Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

GTX 480 - Worth it?

Hey guys, I am wanting a new graphics card now for BF3 and Crysis 2 with new new DX11 Update and Hi-Res Textures and I want to get into benchmarking. So I was wondering if the:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-532-_-Product

Was worth it to get? People say that you can overclock it to a 580's performance and that with the lightning version of the card its quieter and can overclock to 800-850 Mhz. Or should I just wait for the 600 series?

By the way im getting a new rig next year to go with this card to eliminate the bottlenecks and im going to sell my current XFX 6870 Black Edition to a friend for like 120-160 bucks with the warranty and all original packaging and accessories is that a good deal?

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    BF3 will release in october, and Nvidias Kepler (600) series is schedueled to release Q1 2012.

But no, i dont think its worth it. I would get a GTX570 instead, the GTX480 is VERY power hungry and it runs VERY hot compared to the GTX570. On performance it is pretty much a tie on almost all points. And the price is almost identical.

So there is no reason to go for a 480 over a 570.

And 120-160 for a used 6870 is a good deal. They retail for like 180-220 now, depending on OC, cooler and brand.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/306?vs=309

Seems that the 480 beats it in most games, and the card I linked is the lightning version of the card which runs way cooler and quieter than a reference 570 (estimating) and since that card is made for overclocking wouldn't it be a better idea to get the 480 and overclock it to be as good as a 580 and save a couple hundred bucks?

As for power consumption I don't care much

15+ Year Old Account
    You may have read that chart wrong.

Blue is 570 and black is 480.

And while the 480 beats the 570 in a few games, the 570 beats the 480 in a few others. This is perfectly normal.

As for lightning version: There is only one version of the 480, and that is the card that Nvidia has designed. ''Lightning'' is just the sticker that MSI has put on it. They have added an aftermarket cooler and overclocked it. It performs just as good as any other OCed 480, the advantage of having it pre-OCed is that you dont need to know how. And you wont need to risk any waranties by OCing it yourself.

And you can clearly see that the 570 runs much cooler, and uses less power than the 480. And while the sticker on the box says you can OC it 50%, you really cant. My 470 says 50% on the box, but im having trouble getting 25% stable, so i run it at 20% core OC.

And there is no reason you cant get a 570 with an aftermarket cooler.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    As for lightning version: There is only one version of the 480, and that is the card that Nvidia has designed. ''Lightning'' is just the sticker that MSI has put on it. They have added an aftermarket cooler and overclocked it. It performs just as good as any other OCed 480, the advantage of having it pre-OCed is that you dont need to know how. And you wont need to risk any waranties by OCing it yourself.
    FALSE! There are MANY designs. They are either REFERENCE which is supplied by Nvidia and rebranded by the submanufacturer or NON REFERENCE which is designed by the submanufacturer themselves.

MSI also put double the amount of power phases onto their 480 Lightning. A standard GTX 480 has 6 VRM+2 Memory Phases while MSI's GTX 480 Lightning has 12 VRM Phases, 3 Memory and 1 PLL Phase for a total of 16 instead of 8. Lightning cards tend to overclock far better than reference design not just because of the non-reference heatsink(Twin Frozr III) but also because of the insane power design over reference. Typically they require far less voltage for the same clock speeds as reference cards and run quieter :P

You're an idiot if you think all 480s were reference design from Nvidia.

Reference GTX 480:

MSI GTX 480 Lightning:

OH LOOKIE! Different! NON REFERENCE! Lightning cards are binned GPU's and custom PCB's with a far superior power design.

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    And you can clearly see that the 570 runs much cooler, and uses less power than the 480. And while the sticker on the box says you can OC it 50%, you really cant. My 470 says 50% on the box, but im having trouble getting 25% stable, so i run it at 20% core OC.
    Furthermore, the GTX 570 has a shitty ass power design of only 4+2 which is why its common for them to burst into flames when overclocked LOL. I'd say your post is pretty much full of fail kailtas and that statement about all cards being Nvidias design was untrue and quite stupid to say.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-07-14 at 05:38 AM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unexplained View Post
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/306?vs=309

Seems that the 480 beats it in most games
    That's not what I saw from those benches :S

And I wouldn't ever count on overclocking..
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    @Saithes

I stand corrected, no need to be a dick about it.

- Prince Malchezaar

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd honestly suggest 500 series over 400, especially if you're in the 300+ range... Higher 400 series run very hot with historically bad records for power consumption. Also, new technology is new and betterer! Hell, maybe you should just check out the GTX 580. Sure it's more expensive, but damn, it is one powerful beast of a card.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly the power consumption of a GTX 480 isn't much more than a GTX 570.

GTX 570: 219w
    GTX 480: 250w

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-570-us.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_480_us.html

This is according to Nvidia.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    Still.... you could get better and newer technology! D:

RIP 400 series. :P Good for budget builds though.
    "A flower.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, a 570 and the 480 are the same price, their about *Even* in performance in games according to the benches, a non reference 570 to overclock will cost more than the lightning, and I could overclock the 480 to a 580's performance, and new technology may mean better but I dont see a difference, it just runs a bit hotter and takes a bit more powe, and also, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/188 on the list the 3rd best single GPU consumer (non-professional) graphics card is the 480 right under the 6970 and the 580.

@shaqur I don't have a 570 to begin with so I cant get another

@skelly people say with the lightning 480 you can overclock to about 850Mhz (78Mhz better than 580) on air easily and up to 900Mhz on water and since the card is made to over clock so I dont see what the problem is, and the 570 won in 17 games on those benches and the 480 won 17, some only by margin of error.

I think ill be going with the 480, and I dont have the extra cash to get the 580 and Id rather get the same performance and a sexier card for about 170$ less =)

10+ Year Old Account
    I really think you'd be happier with a 570 in the future.... but very well. =/
    "A flower.

If you're going to overclock, I'd probably take that MSI Lightning, will probably give better results than reference GTX570. If you aren't gonna OC, then GTX570 with same performance and lower heat/noise/powerdraw is better in the long run.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    "A flower.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that twin frozr II has a custom PCB and its like 20 bucks more than the 480 and id rather overclock myself then buy a factory overclocked card =(

10+ Year Old Account
    All I can say is... I have a Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti and WOW is it a beast. And I can OC it even more than they did. Runs cool beyond belief too.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Unexplained View Post
    I don't think that twin frozr II has a custom PCB and its like 20 bucks more than the 480 and id rather overclock myself then buy a factory overclocked card =(
    Who says you can't overclock on a factory overclocked card?
    And yes, TwinFrozrs do have custom PCBs more often than not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Twin Frozrs are some of the best imo.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    My vote would go to the Geforce 570 as well. The performance difference to the 480 will hardly be noticeable and the lower power consumption and more refined architecture will pat off on the long run.