Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Hogwarts Castle, and cost?

How awesome would it be to have a place build to be almost identical to the hogwards castle. Since I was 11 years old I almost thought to myself how awesome it would be to live in a place like that.

How much do you think it would cost to have something like that made?

I personally think 150 million dollars.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It wouldn't be that much. I remember finding a company that actually builds castle homes. Something of this size would probably cost somewhere around 50-75million USD. For the land, that really depends on where you want it built. Though this is assuming that you are just talking about the castle they filmed in. You really can't create the school from the books seeing how there are parts of the school that function strictly because of magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    How awesome would it be to have a place build to be almost identical to the hogwards castle. Since I was 11 years old I almost thought to myself how awesome it would be to live in a place like that.

How much do you think it would cost to have something like that made?

I personally think 150 million dollars.
    Over a billion dollars easily, not only is it sitting on arguably what would be some of the absolute most expensive land, i mean let's be serious it's on a lake that i assume opens into the ocean in some way and then is surrounded by a huge forest, but you're talking about a castle that very easily accomodates several hundred students and teachers. And the fact that we've maybe seen what 1/10th of the actual castle in the movies, ya we're talking about something that makes windsor castle, something priceless, look small. If you're talking about what is visually shown in the movies it would be alot less, but hogwarts is significantly bigger than most of that, hell the great hall is bigger than most houses in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    It wouldn't be that much. I remember finding a company that actually builds castle homes. Something of this size would probably cost somewhere around 50-75million USD. For the land, that really depends on where you want it built. Though this is assuming that you are just talking about the castle they filmed in. You really can't create the school from the books seeing how there are parts of the school that function strictly because of magic.
    I was actually looking at some stuff online on where it was actually filmed, very interesting stuff.

im sure with some electronics you could replicate some of the things like the ceilings that look like the sky could be done with screens or even projectors, the moving staircases could be accomplished with some machinery

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Over a billion dollars easily, not only is it sitting on arguably what would be some of the absolute most expensive land, i mean let's be serious it's on a lake that i assume opens into the ocean in some way and then is surrounded by a huge forest, but you're talking about a castle that very easily accomodates several hundred students and teachers. And the fact that we've maybe seen what 1/10th of the actual castle in the movies, ya we're talking about something that makes windsor castle, something priceless, look small. If you're talking about what is visually shown in the movies it would be alot less, but hogwarts is significantly bigger than most of that, hell the great hall is bigger than most houses in the world.
    1 Billion dollars? I'm sure its a lot but not nearly that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    $150 million is a little expensive. The land certainly wouldn't be expensive. A vast expanse of land in the mountains? I doubt it's fertile, and the housing demand probably isn't there.

Elgato's $50-$75 mil is probably more realistic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends what you build it out of. If you're going for the real thing (ie, real stone) probably quite a bit. The engineering required to make something so large out of masonry and keep it standing alone would be ridiculous to think about. Using modern construction techniques, steel, concrete etc, probably around 30-40million I would guess.

You also have to consider where you build it. If it's in some remote area, the cost of moving materials and labour there would be a major portion of the bottom line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcare View Post
    im sure with some electronics you could replicate some of the things like the ceilings that look like the sky could be done with screens or even projectors, the moving staircases could be accomplished with some machinery
    Actually yea the way the the great hall was done with the changing sky could easily be done with projection, and also the moving staircase could def be done with machinery, but it would have to be loud due to the weight of the stairs.

---------- Post added 2011-07-15 at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Depends what you build it out of. If you're going for the real thing (ie, real stone) probably quite a bit. The engineering required to make something so large out of masonry and keep it standing alone would be ridiculous to think about. Using modern construction techniques, steel, concrete etc, probably around 30-40million I would guess.

You also have to consider where you build it. If it's in some remote area, the cost of moving materials and labour there would be a major portion of the bottom line.
    Yea it is just a very very fun concept. Obviously being older now I still always look at the architecture with astonishment and shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    1 Billion dollars? I'm sure its a lot but not nearly that much.
    have people actually seen hogwarts at least in the movies portrayal?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hogwarts/ClassicRemake/Hogwarts/Hogwarts_portada.jpg

T
    ake into the account that it ya know houses several hundred people, has several class rooms, has a kitchen that holds hundreds of elves and their housing, has dungeons that extend underneath the castle, has rooms like the chamber of secrets that alone is bigger than any multi million dollar house i've ever been in. If you wanted to build an exact replica of the place i don't see it being anywhere close to 150 million. It has something i believe like 7 floors if i remember from the books, not counting the dungeons below it.

http://www.mogulite.com/wp-content/uploads/gallery/candy/Aerial Shot.jpg

^
    that's the spelling manor, it's about 90 million and not even close to how big hogwarts theoretically is.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-07-16 at 03:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hogwarts/ClassicRemake/Hogwarts/Hogwarts_portada.jpg

T
    ake into the account that it ya know houses several hundred people, has several class rooms, has a kitchen that holds hundreds of elves and their housing, has dungeons that extend underneath the castle, has rooms like the chamber of secrets that alone is bigger than any multi million dollar house i've ever been in. If you wanted to build an exact replica of the place i don't see it being anywhere close to 150 million.
    I see what you are saying but I'm just thinking that it couldn't be that much. I know of a very large brand new high school that was just build where I live, its huge and overly modern and it only cost 125m, and its several floors in some areas.

Remember, the overall population of Hoggwarts is between 800-900 students, which is actually a very small amount of kids compered to most schools. My entire highschool was 1200 kids and that was only spread over three grades.

15+ Year Old Account
    Remember, the overall population of Hoggwarts is between 800-900 students, which is actually a very small amount of kids compered to most schools. My entire highschool was 1200 kids and that was only spread over three grades.
    1200 over 3 grades? Mine was 1200 over 5. Still seemed like a lot at the time.

They could charge admission to the place and get it paid for easily.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BaddyMcBad View Post
    They could charge admission to the place and get it paid for easily.
    Better yet, make it a theme hotel.

1200 over 3 grades? Mine was 1200 over 5. Still seemed like a lot at the time.
    LOL yeah, and my school is considered on the small side. I think my graduating class was around 250 people (the other grades were MUCH larger for some reason). But I remember my mother telling me that when she graduated from her high school her graduating class was 2500+ people. Granted at the time she was at the largest high school in the country (they had just started busing in kids from the cities into the suburbs on long island).

15+ Year Old Account
    LOL yeah, and my school is considered on the small side. I think my graduating class was around 250 people (the other grades were MUCH larger for some reason). But I remember my mother telling me that when she graduated from her high school her graduating class was 2500+ people. Granted at the time she was at the largest high school in the country (they had just started busing in kids from the cities into the suburbs on long island).
    Damn. 2500 people in a grad class. That would be one long ceremony.

Granted I went to high school in a fairly small town. High school was considered 9-13 but you had the option to grad at 12. So there were both grades potentially graduating. Grade 13 was a year you took to work on things to get accepted to University. However, it's since been cut and there in no longer a 5th year.

Your highschool didn't happen to also have places for all of them to live, all the teachers to live, all the house elves to live, and countless numbers of chambers that are well utterly useless in some sense, think of the chamber of secrets, the whole trap door area in the first book, the prefect bathroom (in the 4th book), all the dungeons etc. etc. A highschool sure can fit quite a few people hell mine had over 3000 split between 4 grades. Still doesn't change the fact that many of the areas are huge, the chamber of secrets alone looked to be well over the length of a football field.

10+ Year Old Account

T
    ake into the account that it ya know houses several hundred people, has several class rooms, has a kitchen that holds hundreds of elves and their housing, has dungeons that extend underneath the castle, has rooms like the chamber of secrets that alone is bigger than any multi million dollar house i've ever been in. If you wanted to build an exact replica of the place i don't see it being anywhere close to 150 million. It has something i believe like 7 floors if i remember from the books, not counting the dungeons below it.

http://www.mogulite.com/wp-content/uploads/gallery/candy/Aerial Shot.jpg

^
    that's the spelling manor, it's about 90 million and not even close to how big hogwarts theoretically is.

location location location not to mention all the ammenities they put into that

Damn. 2500 people in a grad class. That would be one long ceremony.

Granted I went to high school in a fairly small town. High school was considered 9-13 but you had the option to grad at 12. So there were both grades potentially graduating. Grade 13 was a year you took to work on things to get accepted to University. However, it's since been cut and there in no longer a 5th year.
    My HS was just had grades 10-12. The only thing that was sort of unique was that there was a thing called the senior project. My grade was the first one required to do it to graduate. It was just a year long super project that you had to come up with on your own. Mine was to attempt to write a book. The key wood being "attempt." I basically slacked off most of the time, but by the end of it I actually had a passion for writing, and now six years later I am still working on that book, along with several others. I really hope to be published in the next three years.