Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badma View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getty_Center

The Getty Center in Los Angeles is estimated to have cost $1.3b to construct between 1989 and 1997.

A modern castle. Makes me think building a real Hogwarts could indeed cost a billion or more.
    I just think because it isn't very modern it won't cost that much.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    I just think because it isn't very modern it won't cost that much.
    I mean. Assuming you want it to be as hogwartsy as possible you're looking at probably flying in materials including the stones that it would be built with from other places around the world. Building a legitimate castle today i feel like wouldn't be the cheapest thing because you're using pretty much a certain type of stone cut as opposed to using steel beams etc that are mass produced. I mean think of people rebuilding say the colliseum today with the same type materials not using modern architecture such as steel etc. etc. to build the foundation and everything. (sure they can use hammers all that), seems like youd be looking into a very specialized build as opposed to a more common one which i think would automatically up the price.

Trying to get the idea of the size of it but here's a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXJsQjUTm0 check out 2:30, it compares a dragon to one of the towers. The dragon isn't exactly small it's a great deal bigger than harry and wouldn't fit in a small house lol. I think alot of it depends on how you want the castle to be though. Do you want it to be exactly how it is supposed to be? If so not only are you looking at building a ridiculously huge castle, you can forget the whole modern style of building, and essentially going back to building things almost the way that the coliseum was built. Not to mention that if you want it on the island, you're looking at not only at working around the massive amounts of water around you, but actually terraforming the mountain that you're building the place on which includes drilling deep into not just for the foundation but for all of the passage ways, the chamber of secrets, all the dungeons, etc.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-07-16 at 06:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the one at Universal is "ok", if I ever got the money to build a castle it would be along the lines of the one at universal (size wise) but made out of stone, and not the huge ass construction that I picture every time I read the books because that would seriously takes AGES to build. I would say it could cost around 200m because 1 billion seems way too expensive, I would rather take that 1 billion and just buy Harry Potter shit used in the movies or something or maybe to move to Florida and hang out at Universal so I can be the first in line at the shops.

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Your highschool didn't happen to also have places for all of them to live, all the teachers to live, all the house elves to live, and countless numbers of chambers that are well utterly useless in some sense, think of the chamber of secrets, the whole trap door area in the first book, the prefect bathroom (in the 4th book), all the dungeons etc. etc. A highschool sure can fit quite a few people hell mine had over 3000 split between 4 grades. Still doesn't change the fact that many of the areas are huge, the chamber of secrets alone looked to be well over the length of a football field.
    I get the impression from Harry's elf (i can't for the life of me think of his name other than that it begins with an s i think) that they don't require big, elaborate rooms. He lived behind a stove and seemed quite happy there. I'd imagine that closets, stoves, caninets... anything like that would make perfect rooms for house elves.

Dorm housing isn't that outrages, or that big. Entire houses were compressed into one dorm, which would probably be a dorm of what, 200 students per house? There's not a set number of students that I can recall. That makes it 100 per gender, which looked like at least 5 per room, so 20 rooms. 40 rooms per house. Say 2 rooms per class, with some classes behind outside and some being inside.

So, total, you're looking at 160 rooms for housing, plus 4 social rooms per house. 10 classrooms, maybe. Some would share rooms, some don't need a room. Say 5 storerooms or less, since some wouldn't require a storeroom, and those that would wouldn't necessarily need a big storeroom. 10 rooms for teachers. 1 room for headmaster.

Brings the total of rooms to 190 before you count random things, which for a castle is on the smaller side. Buckingham has 775 rooms, for instance. Random rooms would probably bring it up to 230. Things ilke the chamber of secrets may be omghuge, but they're ALSO beneath of the castle... which means there's effectively nothing there, so it can be hollowed out for one ginormous room. Same with dungeons
    Last edited by Vanyali; 2011-07-16 at 07:33 AM.

Don't forget magic. Remember that small ass tent that they stayed in at the Quidditch World Cup? But on the inside it's a giant tent. Same thing could apply to rooms in the castle.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Build it in Indiana. The land would be like 50k at most, if you're looking for 30-50 acres (yes, an acre is about 1k in Indiana)
    The castle itself would probably be a few million. I bet you could get the whole castle for under 20 million.
    That may be an extremely conservative estimate though.

If I wanted to go for a full on replica (except for some of the magical elements obviously), I'd contact J.K. Rowling and try to get some official floor plans.
    Then throw a party for all the people that worked on the films.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of you are talking about 1200 students being a large number at a school, my graduating class alone was about 720, between the four grades, we had roughly 3000 students. But on-topic, I would estimate the cost to be closer to the 500-600m USD range.

10+ Year Old Account

Trying to get the idea of the size of it but here's a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXJsQjUTm0 check out 2:30, it compares a dragon to one of the towers. The dragon isn't exactly small it's a great deal bigger than harry and wouldn't fit in a small house lol.
    Ok yea that def. put it into perspective

http://www.theurbanshogun.com/2011/0...-for-sale.html

^^^^this my dream house, take a good look at the pictures its beautiful....for sale for 25million. OFC it is smaller, a lot smaller. Look at the location and the views though. Seeing a house like that go for 25million, I would think the sale of Hogwarts if ever to happen would be around 100-150 million(now I havent read or seen any movies so if it is computer generated mostly and that is why OP says they want to build one, dont laugh at me)...but whoever said 1billion...never, too much.

---------- Post added 2011-07-16 at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    Ok yea that def. put it into perspective
    I change my stance on pricing...since I havent seen any films or read books, seeing that dragon land at 2:30 in the video clip was mind blowing MY GOD that place is huge, and that was only one tower!....I would much rather buy Emma :}
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I get the impression from Harry's elf (i can't for the life of me think of his name other than that it begins with an s i think) that they don't require big, elaborate rooms. He lived behind a stove and seemed quite happy there. I'd imagine that closets, stoves, caninets... anything like that would make perfect rooms for house elves.

Dorm housing isn't that outrages, or that big. Entire houses were compressed into one dorm, which would probably be a dorm of what, 200 students per house? There's not a set number of students that I can recall. That makes it 100 per gender, which looked like at least 5 per room, so 20 rooms. 40 rooms per house. Say 2 rooms per class, with some classes behind outside and some being inside.

So, total, you're looking at 160 rooms for housing, plus 4 social rooms per house. 10 classrooms, maybe. Some would share rooms, some don't need a room. Say 5 storerooms or less, since some wouldn't require a storeroom, and those that would wouldn't necessarily need a big storeroom. 10 rooms for teachers. 1 room for headmaster. Who knows there aren't many good visual interpretations of the castle sadly.

Brings the total of rooms to 190 before you count random things, which for a castle is on the smaller side. Buckingham has 775 rooms, for instance. Random rooms would probably bring it up to 230. Things ilke the chamber of secrets may be omghuge, but they're ALSO beneath of the castle... which means there's effectively nothing there, so it can be hollowed out for one ginormous room. Same with dungeons
    Could have only 230 rooms not entirely sure, some of them i feel like are alot larger than they are portrayed in the movies. Like theres no way in the world the greathall could fit 800 ~ students or so in it comfortably, it looks like there are maybe 200 in it when it is full from the movies. The only legit number we have is that hogwarts has something like 140+ unique staircases, a couple (2 or3) full sized courtyards in the actual castle which are shown in the movie, a rather huge library, and like i said a number of relatively useless things. There are more than 10 classrooms i believe too. Short of linking you the real movie it's not really easy to find visuals on youtube sadly.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-07-16 at 08:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    I change my stance on pricing...since I havent seen any films or read books, seeing that dragon land at 2:30 in the video clip was mind blowing MY GOD that place is huge, and that was only one tower!....I would much rather buy Emma :}
    The problem with the movies is hogworts, and the surrounding land, changed with most of the early movies. It grew taller for greater dramatic effect in the movies I would think. Or there is a lot of empty/wasted space to inflate the size. Because given the size of the class rooms and the size of the dorms the castle doesn't need to be that big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nSdYGuQ6wk at like 3 seconds in shows the castle in a much more reasonable size, which is later changed again in size when the kids are rowing across the lake in that same clip.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Uhm, the moving stairs and the talking paintings will prolly cost ALOT.

jk, but yeah, I think it would cost something like ~100 mil dollah!

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Talk to Mr. Donald Trump, he prolly has a few spare somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    http://www.theurbanshogun.com/2011/0...-for-sale.html

^^^^this my dream house, take a good look at the pictures its beautiful....for sale for 25million. OFC it is smaller, a lot smaller. Look at the location and the views though. Seeing a house like that go for 25million, I would think the sale of Hogwarts if ever to happen would be around 100-150 million(now I havent read or seen any movies so if it is computer generated mostly and that is why OP says they want to build one, dont laugh at me)...but whoever said 1billion...never, too much.[COLOR="red"]
    I do have to admit that is a very beautiful home. Although I honestly would stick with my castle. I live a very private life, however enjoy luxury.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buutch View Post
    Uhm, the moving stairs and the talking paintings will prolly cost ALOT.

jk, but yeah, I think it would cost something like ~100 mil dollah!
    Flat panel tv's don't cost a lot so talking paintings wouldn't be much at all. It would likely cost more to do the animation/video's to make the tv's "talk".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Flat panel tv's don't cost a lot so talking paintings wouldn't be much at all. It would likely cost more to do the animation/video's to make the tv's "talk".
    Yea don't quite think I would like to replicate all of the furnishings, only some. I personally choose a lot of my own art. What they have in the movies doesn't really hit that spot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    They don't but buying say 100+ would. Probably be quite a few more just from what i've seen from certain parts. The ceiling in the greathall would cost a fortune to make however unless you just wanted it as glass.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-07-16 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't but buying say 100+ would. Probably be quite a few more just from what i've seen from certain parts. The ceiling in the greathall would cost a fortune to make however unless you just wanted it as glass.
    The ceiling in the greathall would be a must-have, thinking about the TVs too, honestly if you build the castle I'd hope you have enough money leftover for the TV's.

Lets say the castle cost 500m (Just ballpark w.e) The tvs would only cost 750,000 at ~150 TVs and the cost of 5k each (which is honestly probably overkill)