Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

When do you use Flame Orb?

Right after popping cooldowns on a burn phase or do you wait later to get AM procs?

I usually open with a pre pot, then flame orb off the bat. a lot of people will tell you to use it for conserve phase, but I never have an issue with am procs, or even if I do, ab isn't as big a dmg loss as not using flame orb on cd

It's not about having an issue with procs most of the time, it's the fact that you can burn down a little farther than normal and then AM back up.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDefier View Post
    It's not about having an issue with procs most of the time, it's the fact that you can burn down a little farther than normal and then AM back up.
    So you'd use it during a conservation phase so you can get more ABs off then use orb to get AM to go back up?

Usually I pop Flame Orb at the beginning of the encounter, after it's done with it's CD, I pop it again, and again, until the encounters over.

Quote Originally Posted by omegatrigun View Post
    So you'd use it during a conservation phase so you can get more ABs off then use orb to get AM to go back up?
    Correct. I wouldn't save it exclusively for that, but if it's off CD or coming off CD soon and you have some procs up that you would like to get more benefit from, it's a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    After burn phase once evocated I AB back down to 80% ish and pop orb and AM chain back up (updated magemanabar has this shown - helps a ton!). Personally I find the loss of a global before burn phase isn't worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanoria View Post
    I usually open with a pre pot, then flame orb off the bat. a lot of people will tell you to use it for conserve phase, but I never have an issue with am procs, or even if I do, ab isn't as big a dmg loss as not using flame orb on cd
    flame orb benefits from arcane power.

I prepot, then cast 4 ABs, then hit the Boom macro (arcane power,engineering gloves, manastone, mirrorimages) and then I cast flameorb.
    the dmg done per second increases by about ~300ish

Quote Originally Posted by IMBA View Post
    flame orb benefits from arcane power.

I prepot, then cast 4 ABs, then hit the Boom macro (arcane power,engineering gloves, manastone, mirrorimages) and then I cast flameorb.
    the dmg done per second increases by about ~300ish

Am I missing something here?
    Why would you waste a GCD on flame orb rather than Arcane Blast during burn phase?

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    Why would you waste a GCD on flame orb rather than Arcane Blast during burn phase?
    You wouldn't Flame Orb doesn't do enough dmg as arcane to waste during burn phase

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanoria View Post
    You wouldn't Flame Orb doesn't do enough dmg as arcane to waste during burn phase
    Actually, you want to use FO as much as possible, i.e. every CD. The sooner you use it, the sooner it's up to use during conservation. You are robbing yourself of DPS by waiting till after your burn phase to use FO.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Actually, you want to use FO as much as possible, i.e. every CD. The sooner you use it, the sooner it's up to use during conservation. You are robbing yourself of DPS by waiting till after your burn phase to use FO.
    The only exception would be if your regen were so horrible (due to your gear) that you require the AM procs to keep your mana up.

Of course, I have no idea what level of regen that would be (I typically cast 5-7 AB in a row before clearing the stack by whatever means during my conservation stage).
    Just another bad mage playing his class badly...
    Worst Mage EVAR!

Deleted
    Use after prepot, before tank pull and before burn phase, you'll have it up a few secs after evocate and can do a mini burn phase and regen with am procs.

Pre-Pot @ 3 on countdown, drink for 3 seconds: ABx2 - Flame Orb, ABx2 - "Lulz" macro. The FO between the AB's gives it time to travel before popping all my other CD's. Popping your macro and then using Flame Orb will rob your Arcane Power/Berserking/other CD's of a GCD.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

Is flame orb really that useful of a skill? I hardly pop it at all, didn't see it to be a big issue if i didn't, and even if i did, could only be a minimum of 100 dps or so as weak as the dmg. Takes less time to get off an AB to waste global on it. Though i could just be bad and not feel it helps. Even as fire i find myself popping very seldom, it just doesn't seem that worth it.
    -Troll mage with herb so have berserking/MI on macro with AP and herbs buff along side it.
    If i do pop it, should it be as Heilige proclaimed? It seems useful that way, can't test it out at the moment though.

Highest damage per effective time spell, last I checked. Using it is pretty much a no-brainer.
    Just another bad mage playing his class badly...
    Worst Mage EVAR!

Twice in conserve phases to ensure AM procs, I don't during burn phases

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    Pre-Pot @ 3 on countdown, drink for 3 seconds: ABx2 - Flame Orb, ABx2 - "Lulz" macro. The FO between the AB's gives it time to travel before popping all my other CD's. Popping your macro and then using Flame Orb will rob your Arcane Power/Berserking/other CD's of a GCD.
    This sounds very interesting. Did you sim that in any way? No means to contradict you - just wondering, whether 3 second drinking outweighs 3 second of pot uptime. Will give it a shot tonight!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drachenmond View Post
    This sounds very interesting. Did you sim that in any way? No means to contradict you - just wondering, whether 3 second drinking outweighs 3 second of pot uptime. Will give it a shot tonight!
    You drink to make up the mana lost from the increased Int, allowing for more ABs and increased Mastery damage.

Doesn't FO scale dynamically with your procs? I thought I read in EJ forums that it did, so I usually open with it to help have everything procced for my burn phase - and to let it benefit from my burn phase buffs without wasting a GCD. Then it's also ready again right after evocating.