Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Alysrazor - Who should fly?

Simple question,
    ..who would benefit the most from the haste and ressource-regeneration buff in Alysrazors flying phase?

In my minds reasoning Arcane mages should do pretty well with it due to how their mastery works but I've been out of the raiding scene for quite a while.

And then I'd say the non-mana dps since casters other than arcane ride the 95%+ line most the time unless they need to off heal or something, but ranged also have an easier time keeping in range of the boss.
    Last edited by Zulandia; 2011-07-02 at 03:23 PM.

Deleted
    The buffs give 3 things, haste, crit and resource regeneration. Ask yourself who benefits the most from those.

Everyone benefits from crit
    Everyone benefits from haste
    Arcane mages benefit from mana regen a lot more than other casters
    Melee/Hunters also benefit from resource regen but you can't always spare their interrupts for the air
    Also note that lock/hunter aren't quite as good since their pets don't get the buff, though I don't think it's a huge deal

So short answer? Arcane Mages.

We used arc mage and a ret pally.

I was letting two arcane mages fly together with me yesterday. I outDPS'd them with my moonkin in leaps and bounds.
    That lasted the rest of the night. My world view was quite shattered, because Arcane mage would've been the obvious answer for me too.

How did the ret pally fare as melee?

15+ Year Old Account
    In my group it's me as a Hunter and a Moonkin that goes up. Though I feel it's really hard to go through rings while pressing my keybinds at the same time.

I personally do it myself on ten man, I'm arcane.

You want your melee dps to fly up where your ranged stays on the ground to deal with the adds

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GringoD View Post
    I was letting two arcane mages fly together with me yesterday. I outDPS'd them with my moonkin in leaps and bounds.
    That lasted the rest of the night. My world view was quite shattered, because Arcane mage would've been the obvious answer for me too.

How did the ret pally fare as melee?
    It sounds like you're just better than them, because logically they should outDPS you. They gain the same benefit you do PLUS the extra DPS from being at full mana non-stop which their class isn't balanced around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    You want your melee dps to fly up where your ranged stays on the ground to deal with the adds
    We did it the other way around, with two boomkins and an arcane mage going up and everybody else staying down. Really, just send your powerhouse dps up there, melee or ranged.

Myself and a warlock was flying on our first kill.
    Shadow priest is doom awesome for the haste and crit buff.

Fire Mages.
    We benefit from both haste and crit.
    Mana isnt a problem, and it doesnt affect our damage the lower it gets (unless its zero but that is very unlikely)

Thanks for all the answers so far.
    I'll tell the arcanes to just spam Arcane Blast... I got the feeling that they played their usual rotation up there. That would be the best thing, right?
    And given what I read, I'll test how good our shadow can deal with wings.

arcane mage aren't the best for sure. Cause they don't benefit that much for haste because they already have a lot so they caped themselves pretty quickly.
    SP, boomkin are good picks imo

Since each stack of blazing power restores mana, rage, energy and so on....No, that won't be an issue. Not for any class.

Deleted
    Why is everyone saying arcane mages?
    On our progression attempts i switched between fire and arcane, and noticed fire benetifing ALOT more from the haste buff. Screw the mana regen, fire is rocking!

10+ Year Old Account
    A fire mage is ideal due to 100% Crit chance. You can make huuuuge combustions up to 888k DPS I think was the highest.
    Last edited by _Fire_; 2011-07-02 at 05:36 PM.

Acane mages are a bad idea for flying.
    There cast is already near the gcd and once they get about 15 stacks, they will be below it and any more haste will be worthless.
    The rings restore mana but you still cant spam arcane blast, you will go oom very quickly.

I tried this out as fire and it seems to be the best option (didnt try frost). Though the mage should not be reforged towards haste. I used my arcane reforge as fire. Crit may be the better option but I went with that.

After so many stacks, they should start using pyroblast and not fireball since fireball will be below the gcd after so many stacks.

The fact that you get a ton of haste and unlimited resources favours the classes with a resource cap. Rogues with infinite energy are hilariously strong and I suspect the same can be said for hunters, warriors and ferals.

10+ Year Old Account
    You would think that Arcane mages would be the best, but they still go OOM up there. Fire actually turns out to be better than arcane
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Our Shadowpriest does around 45k dps in the Air Phase, mainly because he casts mindflay so fast that he can keep a near 100% uptime on his shadowfiend.