Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Shadow Priest DPS Capability in 5 mans?

In this thread, people are arguing as to whether 10k dps is sub par or not:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2842565593?page=1

A
    s you can see, much of the posters believe that Shadow Priests can be excused for low 5 man boss dps, due to the state of their spec.

What I am asking is; Are shadow priests REALLY only capable of doing tank-level dps in 5 mans? Is the spec THAT bad? I personally do not believe so, since I have two shadow priest friends who are perfectly capable of doing 14k minimum on most fights. Plus, with a 15% damage buff in randoms, I don't see how 10k dps is a reasonable amount for a Zul' Aman or Zul' Gurub boss.

So, are shadow priests really that bad, or is it just people making excuses?
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

Deleted
    just people making excuses... my shadow priest pulls 17-18k and is 354ilvl

Depends on what he is doing and how fast the mobs are dying. Large packs I just SW: P, mind sear till an orb, MB then MS and that nets me anything from 25-50K DPS with mostly 359 or below gear.

On Heroic dungeon boss fights, if you can start the encounter with an Orb up, its easy to get around 18-22K dps, without an orb up for the pull I usually do around 18-19K DPS.

Shadow priests are still in a very fine place with DPS. We have to work much harder to get it and maintain it, but we are certainly not broken.

On bossfights you never have an excuse to do less than 15k dps, nothing wrong with spriests atm.
    conclusion: bad shadowpriests are bad.

Yeah, if they are trying, shadow priests can do just fine. I wouldn't kick someone for doing 10k dps though.

Deleted
    The only problems with Shadow Priests in 5mans is RNG against bosses. Your DPS can vary a lot depending on Shadow Orb proccs, if you get very few it can destroy your DPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myia View Post
    just people making excuses... my shadow priest pulls 17-18k and is 354ilvl
    Ahh yes, ish numbers, pulled out of thin air with no context. I hear they're the most reliable measure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erto View Post
    The only problems with Shadow Priests in 5mans is RNG against bosses. Your DPS can vary a lot depending on Shadow Orb proccs, if you get very few it can destroy your DPS.
    This, there are situations that shits proc and I do not get an orb for like 20 seconds but that will happen ONCE in the whole instance.

The problem I've found is..Ppl trying to run shadow with alot of healing gear. They have alot of spirit gear and thats why their dps is low.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by winterfox72 View Post
    The problem I've found is..Ppl trying to run shadow with alot of healing gear. They have alot of spirit gear and thats why their dps is low.
    Spirit = Hit

But don't let the smaller details of a class you don't understand get in the way :P

Deleted
    My priest usually pulls 16-18k dps on no gimmicks hc bosses. It has iLvl 358 gear. My hunter which has similar gear, but a less optimal spec (I play SV) pulls 20k+ in similar gear (top was 26k). The problem with the priest as I see it, is the grp comp (the buffs and debuffs that are provided) and the shadow orbs generation.

While my hunter usually has almost every buff it needs for the spec (+agi, +5% crit and +8% magic dmg taken - I run with a cat, a wolf and a dragonhawk to cover whatever is missing from the party members), I rarely get the missing buffs as a priest (+10% sp, +8% magic dmg taken and so on).

Shadow Orbs generation is the second problem. If I don't proc Lock n' Load, I still do decent dmg, but if I don't get the orbs fast enough, my dps drops severely. That's RNG and can't do much about it.

To sum it up, you can judge a priest's dps better on longer boss fights, not on 2 mins hc bosses in my opinion. However, 10k is still a bit low for any class.

Shadow priests get worse in 5hcs the better the other dps are. So if you have two dps who stomp a trash pack in ten seconds a Shadow Priest will look worse than he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    Spirit = Hit

But don't let the smaller details of a class you don't understand get in the way :P

I understand it just fine. Sure Spirit equals hit, but if they have spirit on every item and trinkets then they are prolly duel spec'd as heals and just running as dps. I have a shadow priest and I have 2 sets..a heals set and a dps set..There is clearly a difference. Apparently You are who everyone is talking about if Your decked out in spirit. Try researching Hit Cap.

Deleted
    Spirit = Hit

Yeah, how's that 30% hit set working out for you?

When I still had a shadow spec my dps was always fairly poor in heal gear due to having waaay too much spirit at the expense of other stats.

also, could be worse, I had an arcane mage doing 7k the other day. One of the other dps pulled him up as I was outdpsing him (as disc) but we didn't kick him; it's not like we were struggling.
    Last edited by mmoca983f76f3c; 2011-07-18 at 12:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by winterfox72 View Post
    I understand it just fine. Sure Spirit equals hit, but if they have spirit on every item and trinkets then they are prolly duel spec'd as heals and just running as dps. I have a shadow priest and I have 2 sets..a heals set and a dps set..There is clearly a difference. Apparently You are who everyone is talking about if Your decked out in spirit. Try researching Hit Cap.
    Right so you clear up your original post of
    Ppl trying to run shadow with alot of healing gear. They have alot of spirit gear and thats why their dps is low.
    What you actually meant was 'people wearing spirit gear above the hitcap', your first post reads like 'spirit gear is for healers and that's why they have low dps'

It helps if you're clear.

As for your example, I'm sure there are some healers that want to try DPS'ing and just change talents, I'm sure some like to try the fun of a 15 - 20 min queue instead of a 2 - 3 min one, I've just never seen it.

Deleted
    As for your example, I'm sure there are some healers that want to try DPS'ing and just change talents, I'm sure some like to try the fun of a 15 - 20 min queue instead of a 2 - 3 min one, I've just never seen it.
    You queue as both and occasionally you'll get dps (though it is pretty rare).

Deleted
    Shadowpriest are an imba class. I pull 20k+ average everytime. People pulling less than 15 k have no right being in a zg/za instance. They need to l2p. As a shadowpriest have alot of cool mechanics and a wide range of situational spells that people have to master, the result is sometimes embarrasing.

But hate the player not the class tbh.

no. its too low. it takes me 15-20 second to get to my peak dps. i know that alot of fights lasts more then that.....but then there is mechanics.....
    well, 12-15 should be normal.
    if they ignore the birds etc on akil'zon they should have no excuse for doing under 15k.
    if they follow most mechanics, they should (depending on ilvl) do a steady 12-20k
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Deleted
    Who still gives a f*** about 5 man heroics ?
    Obviously the people here. Even if you don't, this isn't the best way to put that. --Kel
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-07-18 at 05:06 PM.

you have to accept it, people and their recounts, 10k is the absolute min I could think of for the ZA/ZG dungeons (unless you have a healer with infinite mana, then go ahead and bring lower dps toons), but heck honestly its not a reason to kick someone unless that someone is being a dick