Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Shadow Priest are very good, in the dps dept, right now. Buffs, from other classes? Bah! We bring the buffs..Stamina and Shadow resist...plus, even though nerfed, we still heal, as a by-product of our damage, and that makes the healer's job very smooth, especially in a clutch...I think Druid hots tickle, and they make me laugh! Plus, I've noticed there's still a lot of people who think we have no AOE...mind sear rocks!

Playing a spriest, I do significantly less dps on ZA/ZG trash than I do on bosses. Spriests take a while to reach their normal dps on bosses. We dont instantly do 20k dps on trash like mages for example.

If somebody does 10k dps on trash in any zandalar heroic he is a bad player, but i stand with my point that unless he's obnoxious or a volcano camper in addition to that a vote kick is uncalled for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really seem to be having much problems in 5mans... I have 361 ilvl, but. Thats a normalish ilvl. Are people mind spiking trash down instead of dotting it up, when its being downed quickly? Might just be the common unwillingness to use mind spike where applicable.

Deleted
    Listen up all shadowpriest who cant dps in 5 man:

mindsear everything above 2 mobs - target the tank to hit all targets. SW:P them first if they have more hp than average.

Mindspike+mb small mobs 2 or less.

Normal dot-up rota bigger mobs 2 or less.

Do this you do 20k+ if you do it properly.

And finally: Dont care that much about trash dps. Care about boss dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syldarin View Post
    And finally: Dont care that much about dps. Care about finishing the instance. Use Dispersion and PW:S to help the healer and try your best to keep the tank alive if the healer dies.
    Fixed it for you.
    Adding bewbs to his Avatar since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    Ahh yes, ish numbers, pulled out of thin air with no context. I hear they're the most reliable measure.
    Except the numbers that are being shared are reasonable amounts.

With an ilevel of 354, with your gear gemmed, enchanted, and reforged correctly, with the right primary stats, you should be able to hit at least the 17 mark.

I have a shadow priest, my profressions aren't maxed, I am not exalted with Therazene, both of my trinkets are ilevel 333, and my ilevel combined is 350. I generally do 14k on boss fights, more if I am grouped with players that provide haste or spellpower buffs.

If I had better trinkets with maxed professions, 17k at ilevel 354 would be no problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucapa View Post
    I'd like to add that a 10k dps in ZA is only problematic if you want a bear run, which shouldn't be done in lfd pugs anyways.
    ZA bosses are not dps checks, kicking someone for 10k dps was uncalled for, even if he/she was a sub par dps.
    If your only doing 10K Dps on bosses, you should be the polite one and leave and go play another game.

mindsear everything above 2 mobs - target the tank to hit all targets. SW:P them first if they have more hp than average.

this is wrong actually since they changed mind sear to dmg the traget its cast upon as well (if its a mob ofc, not the tank) so you can safely cast Mind Sear on a mob without losing dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Paci View Post
    this is wrong actually since they changed mind sear to dmg the traget its cast upon as well (if its a mob ofc, not the tank) so you can safely cast Mind Sear on a mob without losing dmg.
    Well he's not wrong. Nothing about his statement is wrong. You target the tank for MS you hit all adds. In fact I sometimes still prefer to target the tank for MS. This prevents premature cancellations of your channelling due to your target dying for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Paci View Post
    Except if the mob dies during a channel.

You put it on the tank and you get full up-time on all mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by zsun View Post
    Well he's not wrong. Nothing about his statement is wrong. You target the tank for MS you hit all adds. In fact I sometimes still prefer to target the tank for MS. This prevents premature cancellations of your channelling due to your target dying for whatever reason.
    I said wrong because of the following from the original post: "target the tank to hit all targets". It still hits all targets even if you cast on a mob.
    The choice on wether to target a tank or a mob is situational and depends on position, for example if u have a caster mob a bit away from the tank and channeling on the tank wont hit him because of the range while channeling on a mob would, then you'd definitely want to channel on the mob.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the9tail View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Speaking as a healer Id rather Spriest not do that during combat, as I want to apply my own shields to you, and using Dispersion in combat takes away from you killing the mobs faster so that the fight is over before my mana runs out. I know the bubble thing only applies to Priest healers so do what you want but I dont recommend prioritizing Disp over dps unless your running away from something and all your dots are up for the next 5 or so seconds. I appreciate classes who can reduce their damage taken, but not at the cost of lowering your dps.
    Last edited by Narshe; 2011-07-19 at 12:05 PM.

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

Deleted
    Ok maybe i didnt put it the best way but thats just my language and i cant change it sometimes i run out of words as my mother tongue is german.

So my question is.... Does it really matter if you do 10 or 25k in a heroic ? Heroics are not a challenge at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tizo View Post
    So my question is.... Does it really matter if you do 10 or 25k in a heroic ? Heroics are not a challenge at all ?
    Most of the time they aren't... It's far more important that people do what they are supposed to do correctly. (like in bwc getting in and out of the beams on the second boss at the right time...). I'd rather have a rogue who doesn't do amazing dps but will always interrupt the things that need interrupting instead of one that does ahmg dps but lets the beam people get feared all over the place, for example.

it's not being over hit cap that makes shadow dps in healing gear the issue, it's the lack of haste, i've forgotten to change into dps gear a few times on my priest and my dps was terrible simply because i had 10% haste instead of 30%

Signature by Kenz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I am vaguely confused why trash dps matters? I mean I guess if trash isn't dying it would be an issue but (maybe I have just been lucky) I haven't seen this be a problem ever.
    Arlee, it doesn't matter to anyone except the epeen crowd. You've been around long enough to know that. The epeen crowd though could care less about how a run goes as long as they're the top DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    10k dps is very low, generally when i do dungeons with people like za, the lowest dps i see is generally like 16k. I wonce kicked a kid after we downed the 4th boss with 5 minutes left because i wanted my pally friend to win the bear, thats just me, im THAT guy. im an elitest where if you are pulling 10k, im going to try to get you kicked. It pisses me off i just did zg, i did 25k on the last boss while everyone else couldnt break 10k, on most fights the tank was second in dps. its sad really, people need to learn how to play the !@#$ing game, their class none the less... So if you're doing 10k in a random, you're doing something wrong, sorry.

10+ Year Old Account

Mindspike+mb small mobs 2 or less.

Normal dot-up rota bigger mobs 2 or less.

Do this you do 20k+ if you do it properly.

And finally: Dont care that much about trash dps. Care about boss dps.
    Listen up Shadowpriests do not pay attention to this man

I will use ZA as an example

Only mobs i can think of that you should be using mindsear on in ZA are hawks during the gauntlet, dragonhawk pack on the way to third boss, lynx packs on the way to 4th boss and all the trolls right before last boss. That should give you and idea on who you're supposed to be using mindsear on.
    On other trash packs such as groups 2-5 trolls you should always be multi dotting. You start by applying VT and SW: P on all of the mobs and DP on the one you think will die last, you then start the order again and start mindflaying to get your stacks up (btw in the process of multidotting if a shadow orb pops make sure to instant MB one of the mobs you have VT on). As you see VT starting to come off you repeat what you did but try and renewing the SW: P with mindflay.

This is how you do good trash dps and yes trash dps does matter because it's the time spent in the whole instance that matters not the time spent during boss fights, anyone who says otherwise is either lazy or stupid. Also be sure to make use of cooldowns on trash but be sure to time the pacing between bosses because they usually have better use on boss fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Monkey View Post
    Except if the mob dies during a channel.

You put it on the tank and you get full up-time on all mobs.
    Damaging the tank just so I can make my dpsing a tiny bit easier seems kinda unkosher, though. But I guess it'd be okay if you leave that behaviour in 5 mans only and are conscious of the tank's health.

Actually, how much damage does Mind Sear do on the target you channel through? Is it less than the surrounding mobs? Is it less on a friendly target? Never really taken much notice.
    Last edited by snarkysnark; 2011-07-20 at 01:55 PM.