Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Getting into pug raids as a Shadow priest.

Lately I've been finding it hard getting into pugs through trade chat as a shadow priest. I'll see a LFM ranged DPS for anything (BoT, BWD, FL....), but alot of the time they want a mage or a warlock instead. And often they would rather ask me to heal, which I am bad at. It just seems really rare to find someone looking for a shadow priest specifically. Has anyone else had this problem?

Deleted
    Nope, I just tell em to invite me and they do, true story. But then again, why the fuck would I PUG voluntarily? That's just shooting yourself in the leg for fun.

If you don't perform as shadow it's wrong with you, the class is fine.

Actually it really depends on the server you're on. On my main server, everyone pugs, and the majority of them are very successful. I would make/join pugs, and people were always looking for a Spriest. It's common to have 1-2 Priests in a 10man.

If they refuse because they don't want two priests, they're bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
    Actually it really depends on the server you're on. On my main server, everyone pugs, and the majority of them are very successful. I would make/join pugs, and people were always looking for a Spriest. It's common to have 1-2 Priests in a 10man.

If they refuse because they don't want two priests, they're bad.
    I works fine with 2 shadow priest, but I wont recomend it. In 10-man you got less raid buffs, and want to grab as many as possible.

Deleted
    Problem with shadowpriests is they don't bring much to the table. DPS-wise they're fine, but the buffs they're bringing can be easily provided by a healer or a tank. I'm assuming some ignorance on the RL's part as well, but that's part of the PUG experience, right?.. :P

What healer or tank brings passive haste for the group? Moonkins are the only other dps I know that provides that.

Dont forget passive raid healing and mana regen in addition to the +5% haste buff. We also have 2 major cooldowns that are very effective for raids---hymn of hope and divine hymn....your healers will appreciate those. Their on a 10-minute CD for a reason---because they can be powerful if used in the right situation. Oh, and the lock that give you dark intent will absolutely love the 9% increased damage you give him, which many overlook or forget about. So that locks 20k DPS just shot up to 22k DPS, which will make fights shorter and less mana intensive for healers.

And yes, a boomkin brings a +5 hast buff to the raid, but does he have the ability to Restore 2% mana to 3 nearby low mana friendly party or raid targets every 2 sec for 8 sec, and increases their total maximum mana by 15% for 8 sec? No...he can only innervate 1 person. Can that same boomkin heal the raid for 4k health every 2 seconds for 8 seconds AND increase healing done to those raid members by 10%? I'm not hating on boomkins, but if someone argues that a boomkin can provide the same buffs and utilities that a shadow priest can, they are uneducated and misinformed. Heck, we can even mass dispel if we needed to.

Shadow priests bring a lot to the table!
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-07-19 at 11:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    What healer or tank brings passive haste for the group? Moonkins are the only other dps I know that provides that.
    spriest, boomkin, shaman

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    ...Oh, and the lock that give you dark intent will absolutely love the 9% increased damage you give him, which many overlook or forget about. So that locks 20k DPS just shot up to 22k DPS, which will make fights shorter and less mana intensive for healers.
    Not the Lock loves the Shadow, teh Shadow loves the Lock.
    Last edited by mmoc128c07d6b9; 2011-07-19 at 12:01 PM. Reason: snipsnip

Quote Originally Posted by Lajkko View Post
    Problem with shadowpriests is they don't bring much to the table. DPS-wise they're fine, but the buffs they're bringing can be easily provided by a healer or a tank. I'm assuming some ignorance on the RL's part as well, but that's part of the PUG experience, right?.. :P

Are you serious? So then maybe we shouldn't take Hunters..they're only DPS. At least Warlocks have Dark Intent, candy and summons.
    Shadow Priest bring, Dps, Fort & Shadow Buffs, Passive health and mana regen, and Haste. I can't tell you how many times I've popped hymn of hope and divine hymn, to get health back up and help healers mana, to get that 1% left on Boss Kill.
    Last edited by Zorinna; 2011-07-19 at 01:17 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    spriest, boomkin, shaman
    Rest shammies have haste or is it a totem and would they actually use it? (since the guy I was responding to mentioned healers specifically)

Deleted
    shamans, wrath of air. warr, commanding shout

how does commanding shout give spell haste?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorinna View Post
    Are you serious? So then maybe we shouldn't take Hunters..they're only DPS. At least Warlocks have Dark Intent, candy and summons.
    Shadow Priest bring, Dps, Fort & Shadow Buffs, Passive health and mana regen, and Haste. I can't tell you how many times I've popped hymn of hope and divine hymn, to get health back up and help healers mana, to get that 1% left on Boss Kill.
    Actually hunters bring more buffs than shadowpriests. Almost every buff can be supplied by a pet and if properly specced, even BL. ..and my argument was about the buffs shadowpriests bring, not their DPS. Haste can be provided by any shaman of any spec, as wrath of air is baseline. Fortitude, can be replaced by a warr or even a hunter's pet. Vampiric Embrace, while nice is not a game breaker in my opinion. Shadow prot is really useful on fights with heavy raid shadow dmg, otherwise doesn't help at all.

I'm playing a shadowpriest myself and I'm not bashing the class. I was just trying to explain somehow the reasons people would choose other dps over us.

FYI... Commanding Shout is Stam not haste....

Deleted
    FYI... Commanding Shout is Stam not haste....
    Really?! Oh, thank you fountain of all knowledge! My post said "the buffs they're bringing can be easily provided by a healer or a tank". If you wanna troll the way I worded it, I can tell you it's a waste of time. If you wanna say something useful, go ahead, I'd be more than happy to listen.

Actually hunters bring more buffs than shadowpriests. Almost every buff can be supplied by a pet and if properly specced, even BL. ..and my argument was about the buffs shadowpriests bring, not their DPS. Haste can be provided by any shaman of any spec, as wrath of air is baseline. Fortitude, can be replaced by a warr or even a hunter's pet. Vampiric Embrace, while nice is not a game breaker in my opinion. Shadow prot is really useful on fights with heavy raid shadow dmg, otherwise doesn't help at all.

I'm playing a shadowpriest myself and I'm not bashing the class. I was just trying to explain somehow the reasons people would choose other dps over us.
    Ok so you realized you can't defend the "healers and tanks bring the same buffs as spriests" so you are deciding to compare to other dps? Really?

Shammies.... http://www.wowwiki.com/Shaman_totem Basically they can put down wind fury or wrath of air not to mention if you have any melee at all (really you don't have any tanks in your group... how odd) you should want Wind Fury down. Bet you a Million bucks enhancement Shaman prefer to put down wind fury. For a hunter, yea sure any buff can be made up for by a hunter if a hunter has the appropriate pet. Also, if you don't have the spell power debuff on a boss from somewhere and you are making your hunter use something other than a dragonhawk you are doing it wrong.

I am not saying shadowpriests are indispensable (news flash no single class is by design) but the arguments you are making are shaky. Also don't even mention the fact that as long as you don't really fail at your class we top dps left and right. Sure there are arguments for not wanting a spriest but those are extremely shaky. Also, like someone else mentioned Hymn of Hope is incredible and can make a huge difference, especially if a fight goes wrong (not that every fight isn't always perfect )

---------- Post added 2011-07-19 at 02:28 PM ----------

Really?! Oh, thank you fountain of all knowledge! My post said "the buffs they're bringing can be easily provided by a healer or a tank". If you wanna troll the way I worded it, I can tell you it's a waste of time. If you wanna say something useful, go ahead, I'd be more than happy to listen.
    Hmm... you said their buffs can be provided by a healer or tank... I said really what healer or tank can provide 5% spell haste... you said shammy and commanding shout from warrior... you were right about shammy, but commanding shout was a completely wrong response there. I am sorry you apparently can't follow a logical conversation.

Deleted
    Basically they can put down wind fury or wrath of air [..] Bet you a Million bucks enhancement Shaman prefer to put down wind fury. [..] if you don't have the spell power debuff on a boss from somewhere and you are making your hunter use something other than a dragonhawk you are doing it wrong.
    That's no argument. I can bet you a resto or ele would prefer wrath of air. So what? Point is to provide your group with the buffs it needs, not what you'd prefer. Any shaman of any spec (yes, including a healer) can drop either Windfury or Wrath of Air without much of an effort as the totems are baseline.

As for hunters using a dragonhawk, I wouldn't say you're doing it wrong if your group misses the buff and you're the only one that can provide it.

I would have to disagree. Not every Hunter is specced properly for raiding, and not every group has a healing priest, shammy, or warrior. SP is a viable class in any raid. People choosing other classes over Sp, is unfair, but then there are alot of people who don't understand the mechanics and value of SP either.

I got turned down for a Pug once, the person inviting replied, but you are only a Priest? My reply back was srsly if you dont know the dps of a SP and what we bring to the table, i think i will rescind my offer to go.

Actually... Raids seem to prefer spell dps over melee/physical dps in this tier so not giving all the spell dps an extra 8% to their spell damage seems like a bad choice and one that would rarely make sense. Though in the realm of pugs... that might be more often because they kind of take what they can get most of the time, though there always will be more competition between dps.

My point about the shammy was that if you have one and could have a moonkin or spriest as well and cover both buffs it seems like a silly idea not to take one of those and cover both buffs.

---------- Post added 2011-07-19 at 03:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zorinna View Post
    I got turned down for a Pug once, the person inviting replied, but you are only a Priest? My reply back was srsly if you dont know the dps of a SP and what we bring to the table, i think i will rescind my offer to go.
    That is both funny and sad... I would have laughed at him though. In random person's defense there are A LOT of really bad spriests out there which unless people know better can make them feel down on bringing a spriest.