Deleted

Advice needed - how to find a raid for me?

Dear community,
    hello reader,

today I would like to assign my (very personal und subjective) point of "Why WoW sucks for me". I really hope to get some advice/hints how to solve my situation.

=> When starting with WoW back in Vanilla, I was an average pupil. I loved the game and had a lot of fun, mainly doing PvP back then.
    => When BC hits me, I re-rolled and successfully started PvE with raiding up to SWP 3/6 pre-nerf (which I'm fine with). I was an average student in these days.
    => With WotLK I continued PvE raiding by joining a world-wide top100 guild for Ulduar and ToC. When I started to work, I had to quit and since ICC I just play for fun.

My problem is, in fact I'm a quite skilled player (at least I was told so). I hate to wait for other players during raids, I hate long breaks between wipes, I'm perfectly prepared for every single raid I enter (regarding spec, bufffood, flask, enchants, sockets, tactic, whatever). Usually I do not fail twice to any boss mechanic and I barely let my raid-mates die.
    But since I have to work and get more and more into "family life" with my girlfriend and stuff, I just have less time. I have time to play this game like 15h a week, but due to the fact I cannot predict my work schedule, I cannot assure my raid attendance on day X. I cannot assure to be there on Thursday for raid, I just can assure to be there one day a week. I would love to raid bot/psa and even if it's not heroic I'd like to see Firelands normal. I don't need my progress back with 5 days a week while farming 25 dailies and doing heroic achievements. But I would like to see those raids with skilled players and an enjoyable raid.

WoW has many tools to find groups. You can do the dungeon finder or the raid browser, you can ask in LFG or trade channels and you can whisper guilds/raids whether they have a spot or not. But those are more or less a joke... yesterday there was a raid starting psa and refuses to take me with them. Two hours later they had two bosses down and searched for a new healer...

Even if I find a raid when I would like to play this game, this PUG sucks. Even if they have like full i359 equip I'm not comfortable to play with them due to their lazyness and different attitude to the raid/game. It's even not possible to get 4 skilled players to do 5-man heroic stuff.

So what are my possibilities? Is there any way to find exceptional raids which do NOT insist on raiding on a specific day? Or in other words: how do I find those raid when I would like to raid? Jumping through OG and waiting for a skilled raid taking me with them is all I can do?!

Regards,
    TioZ

Deleted
    There's no way for your situation to work out, at least I'm in a similar one and I haven't found a solution. Other than cut back on wow and play other games or do something else than sit at the PC.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tioz View Post

Even if I find a raid when I would like to play this game, this PUG sucks. Even if they have like full i359 equip I'm not comfortable to play with them due to their lazyness and different attitude to the raid/game. It's even not possible to get 4 skilled players to do 5-man heroic stuff.
    I don't really understand why this is in here. You say that you are trying to what i would say get back into raiding but mostly casually (not on a strict 3+ day raiding scedule to me thats what casual raiding is). Yet you want people more geared then what also appears yourself since you say you havent done firelands i believe.

Although beyond that i think in your situation your best bet may be to lead a pug raid yourself start this week get as far as you can and send out invites to the players you got this week that you thought met your standards and have them next week and keep trying to get better and better players that way to get in more progression.

Deleted
    There are guilds out there that keep a more casual schedule and still raid at fairly high levels, maybe not world top 100 but still a respectable pace of progression. However they tend to be groups of more closely knit people, so how you would get into one unless you can commit to 90%+ attendance I don't know. All I can say is keep searching on the WoW recruitment forums or just browse through top 1000 world guilds and search for any that might fit your criteria. It would be time consuming to do so but eventually some place is bound to pop up. There are millions of guilds out there, it's inconceivable that there isn't at least one that will suit you, it's just a mater of devoting the time and energy into finding it and establishing yourself in it.

With that said, I think you'll have more luck as a DPS main spec, heal Ospec since it's easier for raid leaders to sub DPS in and out, healers have more pressure to be on every single day. That's about the only real advice that I can think of atm. Good luck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyce223 View Post
    I don't really understand why this is in here. You say that you are trying to what i would say get back into raiding but mostly casually (not on a strict 3+ day raiding scedule to me thats what casual raiding is). Yet you want people more geared then what also appears yourself since you say you havent done firelands i believe.
    In fact I don't care about peoples gear, as long as they know how to use it ;-) In my opinion its kinda easy today to clear bot/psa with everyone at ilvl346.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyce223 View Post
    Although beyond that i think in your situation your best bet may be to lead a pug raid yourself start this week get as far as you can and send out invites to the players you got this week that you thought met your standards and have them next week and keep trying to get better and better players that way to get in more progression.
    In fact, thats a really good idea. I will think about this seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    There are guilds out there that keep a more casual schedule and still raid at fairly high levels, maybe not world top 100 but still a respectable pace of progression. However they tend to be groups of more closely knit people, so how you would get into one unless you can commit to 90%+ attendance I don't know. All I can say is keep searching on the WoW recruitment forums or just browse through top 1000 world guilds and search for any that might fit your criteria. It would be time consuming to do so but eventually some place is bound to pop up. There are millions of guilds out there, it's inconceivable that there isn't at least one that will suit you, it's just a mater of devoting the time and energy into finding it and establishing yourself in it.

With that said, I think you'll have more luck as a DPS main spec, heal Ospec since it's easier for raid leaders to sub DPS in and out, healers have more pressure to be on every single day. That's about the only real advice that I can think of atm. Good luck.
    I already tried to search for those guilds, but until now I only find guilds who #1 want 90%+ attendance or #2 refuse to invite me due to my lack of experience/equip or #3 are playing on a low level (#2 and #3 often come together)... some of those guilds would be well advised to look at the player and not the equip :-(

fill out pug raids urself. start putting a ./ignore on every baddie u find. -> profit with eventually all good players.

Be a backup raider in a guild with 2-3 raid nights a week? Accept when you can and other nights decline/tentative. Be online (or allow them to contact you in some way) if you can raid but your weren't chosen.

Also some people have managed to start weekly pugs. If you know skilled players who have alts, welcome them and keep them on the invite list.

Deleted
    Join a high attendance guild, get achievements in 1 week and then leave and do pugs?

It's very, very hard to find a guild with a truly hardcore raiding mindset on a truly casual schedule. Of course there are plenty of guilds that CLAIM to do that, but 99% of them just don't understand one concept or the other. Definitely look around a bit, you'll see what I mean.

The reason, of course, is that if RLs don't require their raiders to show up at the same time, they won't show up at the same time, and raids don't happen.

<rant>
    Ultimately, WoW just offers nothing to support players who want to tackle big challenges at their own pace. The closest thing would be Arena, or perhaps "extreme soloing" -- and other games do those things much better. The game and its community have become so wrapped up in their own "hardcore" vs. "casual" illusion that they miss this glaring oversight.
    </rant>

One suggestion is to buddy up to a hardcore guild, make it known that you're eager to raid but just can't be online that much, and just see where it goes. Some guilds have backup lists or alt raids or "friends and family" rosters that might give you what you're looking for.

Another suggestion is to make something happen yourself, for example start a weekly GDKP run.
    Last edited by Wyrmrider; 2011-07-19 at 11:44 AM.

Deleted
    It's more that it's almost impossible to find a group of organised, skilled raiders with a "random" outlook on raid times and/or a flexible attendance policy.

A big guild with several groups, or an alt raid or so might be the best bet, short of starting a raid yourself and eventually weeding out the goods from the bads. I did this back in Naxx times and after a month or so I had a really stable group of ~30 ppl that I could fill most of a 25m raid with on either a Sat or Sun evening. Now with 10m loot = 25m loot, finding 9 more non idiots shouldn't be too hard, tho it might take time you don't have.

If you really want to raid then your best bet is to stabilize your work schedule or find a new job. If you can't do that, then focus on something besides WoW because it's going to be really hard for you to find a situation that satisfies you.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot for your responses and ideas. In fact, "hardcore raider with casual schedule" is a perfect match for me ;-) and there seems to be no skilled guild which is comfortable with inviting me without assuring attendance.

I will take a close look in building up raids by my own, even due to the fact that this is time-consuming. At least I feel my understanding of "WoW is really bad for people like me" confirmed.