Yet another "spriest stats" thread.

The more i look around for correct stat weight the more i get different opinions.

So, what's the deal? I've tried the ususual haste-crit from 4.1 and tried haste-mastery.

Tired at or below spellcap. I still have to understand how to properly gear.

Here's my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...toblack/simple

(It's summer and i'm italian, so no...i'm not raiding much lately. Situtation won't change 'till september).

Simcraft or else you will get generic responses not best suited to your gear level. I am loading on mastery as I have hit hastecap with a little room to spare. I find mastery to be better then crit only cause of it's synergy with our t12 4pc. But really it's up to you. I would reccommend simming and using your resulted stat weights. Once again with Mb receiving the buff in 4.2 I think mastery would be more beneficial.

mastery nearly equals haste with higher levels of gear. crit is a bit behind.

on http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t124358-...e_4_2_updated/ you can see haste values for additional ticks for vampiric touch and devouring plague. in short: the closer you get to the next tick and therefore to the next haste value, haste gets better. of you reach for example 30% haste rating raid buffed which gives you 2 additional ticks, mastery gets better and equals haste.

shall i give you some tips for your character?

1. get hitcap, playing without was a bit prominent when cataclysm started but right now you want hitcap
    2. dont reforge haste to anything except you are not able to reach hitcap without it
    3. unforge your cloak, offhand and legs
    4. reforge every piece with mastery/crit to spirit/hit until you reach hitcap - will be really close with that gear
    5. you may want to change back to melodious slippers (lots of spirit and haste on it) in your feet slot
    +++ Why Me - Wrathbringer EU +++
    ~~~ Vilden ~~~
    7/7 Heroic - 25man: World 18th - German 2nd

Get 2140 haste then go for mastery. As long as you have a locks DI in raids you'll be good to go.

Haste is still always superior to Mastery before you get the t12 4set, even then, testing have to be done to figure out it it's worth "just" going for the amount of Haste that resets the dot duration, and then stacking Mastery, or if we still go max Haste like we always have.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Note sure how accurate this is, but it's from the Spriest guide on this forum. The writer of the guide said they did extensive testing. It seems like once we reach 2140 haste, mastery will become our priority until we get good enough gear to reach ~3000 haste.

The whole idea of "getting that extra tick" on your dots comes from an idea in the healing world where healers would get a haste cap to get an extra tick on an aoe hot or hot they spam on every raid member (ie wild growth or renew). However, as a SP you are refreshing you dots and haste will increase your dot ticks per fight and there are no special numbers because every point in haste you get will increase your ticks per fight (or tick per second).

When gearing your priest get gear with haste! If it does not have haste don't get it. Doesn't matter what the other stat is, however I prefer haste/spirit or haste/hit because if you don't have enough spirit/hit on your gear you will end up being forced to reforge haste to hit/spirit.

Crit/mastery are pretty close and I wouldn't lost sleep over it and you'll do fine as long as your go for pure haste(ie gear with haste)

Quote Originally Posted by Taedas View Post
    The whole idea of "getting that extra tick" on your dots comes from an idea in the healing world where healers would get a haste cap to get an extra tick on an aoe hot or hot they spam on every raid member (ie wild growth or renew). However, as a SP you are refreshing you dots and haste will increase your dot ticks per fight and there are no special numbers because every point in haste you get will increase your ticks per fight (or tick per second)
    Not completely accurate. There a couple issues with spell timings in our priority queue that manifest at specific haste ratings that you are completely neglecting. We're basically juggling 2 dots and two direct damage spells excluding SWD and SWP. While the minor change in duration of VT and DP from haste is mostly negligence on its own, in combination with the ever decreasing cast time on flay and mb, it causes quirks in our gear stat priorities. We do not have a fixed rotation. There will be plateau effects from haste as well as mastery as well as crit. Think of it like constructive and deconstructive interference in light. Except it's quite a bit more complicated b/c haste/mastery/crit all effect our total DPS output.

Not to mention bringing SWD into the mix when the boss's hp drops. Sub 25% target health, our stat priorities shift slightly and it takes considering both stat weights, weight averaged together to come to a conclusion.

The worst part of figuring this all out, is that anecdotal evidence can heavily effect consensus. DPS figures should always be considered as a statistical spread. If you see your numbers go up or down with some reforging, don't assume it's b/c of your reforging. It could easily be RNG favoring or disfavoring you.

The graph that Oatmealpoet posted from my guide is a prettier version of the work that was done here: http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=31922

The haste plateaus work like this:

Point A: 1601 haste (+1 Improved Devouring Plague, adding bonus damage to the initial cast)
    Point B: 2140 haste (+2 ticks to Vampiric Touch w DI, adding ~2 seconds back to the duration of the dot)
    Point C: 2589 haste (+2 ticks to Vampiric Touch, adding ~2 seconds back to the duration of the dot)
    Point D: 3202 haste (+2 Improved Devouring Plague bonus, adding bonus damage to the initial cast)

Let's assume reaching Point B gives me +100 dps.

If I can't reach Point B, then I can reforge haste to mastery and get + 90 DPS by going back to point A.

It's better to reach point B. Going back to point A is a temporary thing until I get enough haste to get to point B.

For gearing, you assume that you CAN reach point B, because if you can, you'll get more dps than going pure mastery.

------------------------------

If our stat weights look like this:
    haste = .7
    mastery = .48
    crit = .46

You have to keep in mind that haste only actually equals .7 IF you can reach point A, B, C, or D. Any haste that isn't used to reach one of those points is actually only worth about .45 (ie our worst stat).

-----------------------

Of course all other rules must be kept in persepective.

Intellect is still the most important stat, more important than reaching a plateau. So if you get a piece of gear that takes you under a plateau, but still has more intellect, you still get a net gain in DPS.

Reaching a plateau is only ever worth about 40 intellect, so you can occasionally sacrifice an item or a gem slot to reach it, but generally speaking when you do this you don't see much of a dps increase since you're trading out one stat for another.

And of course, hit is still important, and in reality usually the most important secondary stat. If you follow the link I posted you can see that's always above mastery and crit, and in actuality always above haste except where haste is used to reach a plateau.

---------------------

In response to Themos: RNG and subtle nuances in our rotation caused by haste can affect the stats and the amount of dps we do, but this can "usually" be ironed out by adding more iterations to the simulation, or changing the action list around.
    Last edited by Kilee25; 2011-07-21 at 08:28 PM.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post

In response to Themos: RNG and subtle nuances in our rotation caused by haste can affect the stats and the amount of dps we do, but this can "usually" be ironed out by adding more iterations to the simulation, or changing the action list around.

Right. A 1000 iteration sim is plenty to get a good statistical distribution. What I was refering to was the anecdotal reforger who does some stats tinkering, sees a DPS increase (or loss) and makes posts about it like it statistically means anything. It adds a lot of misinformation and dilutes any real theorycrafting.

Time to heavy reforge.

Looks like i've to adjust a lot out of my gear.