I going back demo pvp....who is coming with me?

I am just feed up with playing afflic because thats what everyone says to. I ran destro for a month last season, and it was ok for rated bg and tb, but no place in the arena. So afflic is where i went , but it is horrible.... boring,weak, and leaves me dead anytime i see a top player playing anyone one of the top specs (mage/warr etc). I really miss my survival in demo and the damage output when meta is up. Basically i need someone to tell me im not crazy and playing demo pvp is fine if i spec/gem right?

Deleted
    yeah i tried that in BG the other day, doesn't really work. Basically you only dish out damage while in meta. But meta is kind of a very visible CD... usually if opposing team has half a braind, they will rush you as soon as they see a massive purple demon form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Demonology a leveling spec?

Lol NO!! Is anyone really that happy with afflic....It is doing good according to arena junkies. Let me ask this though. Anyone who is doing arena's. Are you the best player on your team or are you just there for some cc's and lil bit of dot swap damage. I feel like i need teammates that are way above average to compete to 2200. I always ran with RL friends and me being the best player on the team isnt working out anymore and i cant even help out because i get focused and die first every match.(play with hpally+frostmage) My healer is very good after a few yrs of practice ,but 1 cc to him and i am in danger of going down. In 2s the other day i was left with vs a rogue without Cds ..Global...almost...Left me 10% hp. No chance of coming back on him.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not any more. 2nd to aff in pve according to simcrafting.

My complaint is the ease that the felguard dies. Do felstorm too early on fights with lots of adds and the tank can't save the pet. Combine that with the fact that most tanks and healers don't care about our pets, and the felguard goes squish.
    If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone. - Hobbes

Deleted
    above poster : topic is pvp.

@Sirflyzini yep. exactly. If you are the best on your team, you'll have issues. As an afflock, you are not the highlight of your team. you are a pressure applier. A very good one, but you're not the one who is gonna make the kills. you will contribute to them with your pressure, silences on healer and fears, but you certainly can't effectively kill anything - your teammates have to time their big hits with your CCs

TY Eiffletower! Thats what i needed to hear..Im not going to ditch my friends for a couple glads. Ill be helping my team more with demo then. Been banging my head against the wall last 2 weeks trying to figure out how to help my team more. I play demo well, just as good as the other specs(been lock for 5 yrs). If i am alive longer it will help my team in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrez View Post

http://www.simulationcraft.org/chart.php?Warlock

Yeah, I suppose it's just for leveling and the top simming PvE dps spec as of this morning.

Demo is just as garbage as Destro for PvP. No fear protection = useless Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahrastafari View Post

http://www.simulationcraft.org/chart.php?Warlock

Yeah, I suppose it's just for leveling and the top simming PvE dps spec as of this morning.
    Realistically though, there is movement for every single fight. So the above isn't accurate in representing Demo DPS. Heavy movement results in Demo doing 27.4k DPS which is bad.
    Last edited by Entropic; 2011-07-21 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropic View Post

Realistically though, there is movement for every single fight. So the above isn't accurate in representing Demo DPS. Heavy movement results in Demo doing 27.4k DPS which is bad.
    I've always wondered how they model that and what constitutes a 'heavy movement Patchwerk-style encounter.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jahrastafari View Post
    I've always wondered how they model that and what constitutes a 'heavy movement Patchwerk-style encounter.'
    I'm just going to assume Rag = heavy movement (especially if you're eating the firetraps) and Majordomo light/heavy (can't really decide, somewhere in the middle). Basically every Firelands encounter has medium-heavy movement, there is no "light".
    Last edited by Entropic; 2011-07-21 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, demo is really strong in pvp, and with pvp i mean rated bg.
    in arena, dont bother with demo unless u play 2s with a frost dk or something, in 3s and 5s it's garbage.
    in normal bg u never have a healer ( ally pov) and u'll spend most of ur time fighting in the middle, sux without cooldowns...

in rbg people fight in groups and with the insane aoe damage you deal as demo, the other healers will struggle to keep everyone alive.
    also you have an aoe you can use while moving, people trying to claim the stables, no problem, hellfire till they die
    having to kill a flagcarrier, take the zerkerbuff, pop all ur cooldowns and nuke that bitch with 100%+ damage.

I'm just going to assume Rag = heavy movement (especially if you're eating the firetraps) and Majordomo light/heavy (can't really decide, somewhere in the middle). Basically every Firelands encounter has medium-heavy movement, there is no "light".
    Baleroc is light movement.
    Beth's phase 2 = no movement.
    And honestly Majordomo isn't that heavy on movement either. It's mostly standing still.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

My problem with the heavy movement simulations is that every fight has a stand and nuke period. In a simulation, you Meta is inevitably going to be popped during one of the heavy movement portions. A good warlock would know to save that cooldown for a stand and deliver part of the encounter.

Without seeing what's going on behind the scenes, I'm going to guess that 'heavy movement' sims underestimate the actual DPS for all three specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like demo pvp as it has the highest burst. It is however only good in 2s where you can burst down 1 person and then play with the other. Certain teams are hard to beat while others stand no chance. If you fight a team with no dispel that is an auto win for you because one bane of doom while in meta will drop them.

As demo you also have one of the longest locks if you do it right. You can keep one of the players locked down for about 16 secs without even using fear once. Demos fear is worst than afflicts because you don't have ua also demo has some terrible hardcasts, if you get spell locked during hog your fucked as your locked out of everything, however if you get locked out of just shadowbolt you can incinerate. I would recommend not hard casting as demo unless they are cced or their interrupts are on cd.

Another kinda fun thing to do is spam fel flame after you dotted them if they are on you or running. You can use it while moving it keeps up your immolate and if your using it while in meta it will crit for over 10ks on high resil targets around 20k on no resil targets.

The main weakness of demo pvp is that they are 100% dependent on meta. If you do not down or cripple one of the other players during meta your going to have a hard time. Pretty much you just have to kite shadowflame fear and teleport until your cd is back up. Your dots from meta will continue to tick at very high damage but the rest of your damage will be sub par.

It is like pacman when your not in meta you have to run away from them but once you get your power up chase down the lil noobs and devour them.
    Last edited by lightgil; 2011-07-22 at 04:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrez View Post
    lol

_______

Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    Baleroc is light movement.
    Beth's phase 2 = no movement.
    And honestly Majordomo isn't that heavy on movement either. It's mostly standing still.
    I'm not really going to consider normal modes except for Rag right now. I'm not sure how Baleroc is on heroic yet since I've yet to try, but I'd agree with you for normal. I'm going to get Beth heroic tonight and so far from my attempts there has been a bit of movement but not enough to impair my DPS as I'm dotting everything up etc. Domo normal is a bit RNG when it comes to movement, you can avoid most movement with good portal placement but if you get the Cats leaping at you then you'll obviously have to move a lot. Otherwise if the RNG gods love you the cats will ignore you, leaving you sit there and DPS.

@lightgil... Tyvm ,that was some very helpful tips you blessed us with.