Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The best example of useless meter padding as affliction was multi-dotting on Blood Prince Council in ICC, when you could do damage to all three of them, but only damagin active one contributed to the kill.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

The affliction spec isnt dotting "every stupid thing", you are.

Deleted
    Hey OP do you know phase 1 always has the same duration ?
    So your raid had less DPS in phase 2 that's all.

Deleted
    Basic Destruction player : " DOT ? what the hell is that ? ". In three years, he will learn DPCT.

Work as intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't you dotting things that need to die anyway? Its not like you're dumping dots on critters.

I bet the OPs guild wants him to go affliction and he's upset.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EuBloodSolder View Post
    I was testing affliction spec today over my usual destruction spec.

I noticed it's a total sham just by multi-dotting your tricking the meter into giving you higher DPS which isnt efficient in a boss fight.

In a boss fight you wanna do your job and nuke the proper target asap to finish the fight much faster. It seems recount doesn't take time into consideration and all the people are just praising affliction and simcraft. The fight is more than numbers.

For example on Beth'Ilac I was affliction my DPS was literally 5k higher than destro spec but it was a total sham as we finsihed the fight longer and I see this because im wasting time dotting every spinner, instead of burning SKULL and being efficient and switching to the next target. The fight takes longer..means its wrong.

Long story short In destro spec we finished the fight almost 30 seconds faster with the same variables. IMHO affliction is just dotting useless things and making the fight longer and manipulating their DPS to have higher numbers on recount

Does anyone agree?
    If the contention is: "It possible for Affliction to damage targets that don't need to be damaged to inflate DPS" then yes, that is possible, though there's not many occasions to do this in Firelands, and especially not on Beth'tilac.

If the contention is: "The only reason Affliction is generally considered to be the best performing Warlock spec for most modern encounters is that it artificially inflates its numbers using this strategy" then you're wrong, especially if you suspect that this is what Simcraft is doing (the standard published parses have only one target: Fluffy Pillow.)

A sample size of one encounter where your measure for spec viability is the total duration of the encounter vs. a previous encounter where you used a different spec is an extremely feeble basis for a conclusion of this nature.

@Zumzumzum: The drones can actually speed up phase 1 if left alive long enough to ascend the web and siphon Beth'tilac's Fire Energy, not that you should generally allow them to do so of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    That's not how it works. If you're doing it right multi-dotting can only make things faster
    I disagree, in a situation like Cho'gal phase 2 for example: DPSing all of the tentacles slowly at the same time is far worse than dpsing them as a group individually. Having one down quickly far outweighs having them all up dying slowly.

OPs comment is exactly why Blizzard have decided on multiple times to not include a builtin damage meter to the UI.

Nah, you're still missing the mark here fruitbat. If you dps the tentacles individually as a raid group each dot might do 1 tick, or you might get in a single shadowbolt. Doing this would effectively make you useless for damaging the tentacles. Certain classes are designed to do things like kill tentacles quickly, and locks aren't one of them. You're not making the right choice by self-sacrificing your precious dps meter to try and be a dk, you're just trying to force your class to do something it was never intended to do.
    More Dots Warlock Blog

Beta-version spell tool, video guides, and warlock commentary. Help me improve it with your comments and suggestions!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    The fact still remains that a large portion of Affl dps comes from multi-dotting. Of course an Affl warlock wouldn't agree.
    Simcraft says upto 35.851 comes from single target:>

As for multi dotting useless things (or aoeing magmaw adds when not assigned) That's stuff people do when farming a boss.. it's simply fun to spam aoe on those wurms and epeen on the meters.

I don't think you understand

For example this is what I mean:

5 spiders burn time indvidually =30 sec

5 spider multi-dot affliction and waste time= 40 seconds

This is because I'm wasting time dotting every spider even though Recount loves this and gives me extra DPS it's slower in the end run.
    Are you serious with this or you try just trolling?
    Nevermind, lets see your numbers:
    5 x 30 sec = 2min 30sec
    And with multidotting only 40 sec coz all spiders die at the the same time

Gogo affli multidotting

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Are you serious with this or you try just trolling?
    Nevermind, lets see your numbers:
    5 x 30 sec = 2min 30sec
    And with multidotting only 40 sec coz all spiders die at the the same time

Gogo affli multidotting

not at all what he was sayin

what he ment was to kill 5 adds while he was destro it took 30 seconds
    to kill 5 adds while multi dotting it took 40 seconds

but.... he is wrong to blame it on multi dotting that is not what made the fight take longer and he wasn't "padding the meter"
    there is only 1 way to pad a meter and that by hitting something that doesn't have any effect on the fight (an add that isn't suppose to die at all or won't die)

anyway you look at it if everything in front of you is suppose to die more dps = more damage done = things dieing faster

Quote Originally Posted by Manguadi View Post
    Nah, you're still missing the mark here fruitbat. If you dps the tentacles individually as a raid group each dot might do 1 tick, or you might get in a single shadowbolt. Doing this would effectively make you useless for damaging the tentacles. Certain classes are designed to do things like kill tentacles quickly, and locks aren't one of them. You're not making the right choice by self-sacrificing your precious dps meter to try and be a dk, you're just trying to force your class to do something it was never intended to do.
    you really lost it right, with your meters and everything. You've convinced yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you understand

For example this is what I mean:

5 spiders burn time indvidually =30 sec

5 spider multi-dot affliction and waste time= 40 seconds

This is because I'm wasting time dotting every spider even though Recount loves this and gives me extra DPS it's slower in the end run.
    This is not how it works.

While everyone is nuking skull, the other adds are being softened by the multidotting which means they take less than the initial 30s of the first add. Each add after goes down faster still.

Furthermore, it's not just Affliction Warlocks who can and should do this; every damn class with DoTs should do it, and if you're not, you're doing it wrong. If stuff needs to die, it needs to die and that means you use your highest DPET spells on it; that means DoTs.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2011-07-22 at 06:40 PM.

Affliction is the highest single dmg spec, even without multidotting. Multidotting is (usually) good, but there ARE times when its bad, wasteful or both. The worms on heroic magmaw when they are kited are an example of wasteful (maybe even bad).
    Multidotting shannox as your ranged dps burns down rageface in normal? Good.
    Multidotting the dogs as you burn down shannox in heroic? Bad.
    Multidotting rhyolith legs if you are turning easily? Good
    Multidotting spinners? Good. They do a ton of dmg if left alone.
    Multodotting broodlings in heroic? Bad.
    Multidotting on Alysrazor? Good.
    Multidotting on baleroc? Lol.
    Multidotting on Majordomo? Good, if the melee is overrun with cats.
    Multidotting on ragnaros? essential when burning the adds at start of p3, but can be bad and wasteful in p2/p3 transition if adds are reaching the hammer.

Deleted
    how can you argue about not multi dot with a dot class , are you serious ? there is a reason to multi dot,even if you burn/nuke a SKULL, its always good to dot around, after all corruption is doing 3 things for you , (1)heal you,(2)chance to proc instant shadow bolt ,(3)you glyph it either, and most important,(4) 20% haste proc which makes your dots get another tick if you recast during that time.its worth even to cast only corruption on other adds besides main target.if you want to play hard hitting class and only focus 1 target , dont play aff lock or switch to destro, simple as that, but dont troll around.i`m sick of this "dont multi dot" shiet.

I don't get it...bragging about meters only really comes out if you're pugging something. In my guild, as long as we're all pulling our weight respectfully, and doing our jobs properly, it's just moderate teasing amongst friends about who actually comes out on top. If someone is meter padding, you can tell right away, and you give them crap about it...if it's causing the raid to fail, then you tell them to stop.

Multi-dotting, as everyone else has already stated, isn't meter padding if you need everything you're dotting to die. There are times when things don't need to die, and you can pad meters, but any raider that can use recount will see it, and blast you if you try and brag.

In fact, meters get annoying as affliction because you usually have the longest amount of boss encounter time. There are plenty of instances where I out damage the entire raid, but this sissy arcane mage is 4k dps higher than me because it just counts the time he's casting and landing AB's while it never stops from the instant my first SB lands til the boss dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunklock View Post
    In fact, meters get annoying as affliction because you usually have the longest amount of boss encounter time. There are plenty of instances where I out damage the entire raid, but this sissy arcane mage is 4k dps higher than me because it just counts the time he's casting and landing AB's while it never stops from the instant my first SB lands til the boss dies.
    For this reason, Damage Done is actually the more important factor.

Deleted
    What I dont understand is that Beth'tilac is a fight where everything has to die...there are no unimportant DPS targets which can be ignored or as suggested by the OP used to pad numbers. If you are doing more damage on Beth'tilac, you are more useful. I wouldnt say Affliction "fools the recount meters" Just the idiots who dont understand them.

Affliction is a DoT spec the specializes in multi-dotting

So.

If it's a fight with multiple targets affliction locks excel.

PS.

If a destruction warlock is doing 20k DPS total on two mobs with bane of havoc, and an affliction warlock is doing 30k on four mobs with multi-dotting... having the affliction lock is superior.

Numbers I chose were random, I haven't PvE'd in a long time.