Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I look at some of the top teams in the Premiership, especially Man U, they are basically the New York Yankees of soccer, spend money on the best players because they have a huge fan draw and it allows them to win more, but then they screw up the salary market for other teams wanting to sign players because they might not be able to spend as much.
    You have no idea how utterly wrong this accusation is. Up until the Russian bought out Chelsea the top two teams were United and Arsenal, both managers known for showing restraint with wages and player costs. Hell when Ferguson signed Roy Keane at 50k a week people were shocked he'd gone that high, by then people were being paid 60k+ across Europe.

Teams like Chelsea and City have over inflated the transfer market, along with lesser experienced managers and clubs who have allowed players to sign ludicrous salaries before now. Now that the trend has been set other clubs are forced to do the same to retain players.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2011-08-10 at 05:33 PM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    You have no idea how utterly wrong this accusation is. Up until the Russian bought out Chelsea the top two teams were United and Arsenal, both managers known for showing restraint with wages and player costs. Hell when Ferguson signed Roy Keane at 50k a week people were shocked he'd gone that high, by then people were being paid 60k+ across Europe.

Teams like Chelsea and City have over inflated the transfer market, along with lesser experienced managers and clubs who have allowed players to sign ludicrous salaries before now. Now that the trend has been set other clubs are forced to do the same to retain players.
    Wo'ah there, Man U have never been shy of splashing the cash. Granted prior the Glazers' take over they were pretty much self sufficient so they could spend money however they saw fit. Rooney, Berbatov and Ferdinand represent almost £90 million in transfer fees alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Wo'ah there, Man U have never been shy of splashing the cash. Granted prior the Glazers' take over they were pretty much self sufficient so they could spend money however they saw fit. Rooney, Berbatov and Ferdinand represent almost £90 million in transfer fees alone.
    When they bought Berbatov they bought one other player for 5 million (Who they've since sold for 7 million)
    When they bought Rooney their other spending that season was 200,000 on Rossi (Who since has been sold for 6.7 Million)
    When they bought Ferdinand they spent 1.5 mil on Ricardo and an undisclosed amount for Kieran Richardson (Ricardo let go for free but Richardson sold for 5.5 million)

Those are 3 signings over 6 seasons, they were the only big money buys in those seasons. He didn't exactly spend 90 million in a single season there. Look at the spending Chelsea and City have done since they came into money and compare to United, Arsenal or even Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsi View Post
    Dunno about you, but being a professional sportsman is bound to a daily training, perfect diet (without alcohol, etc) and the stress of failure. The money just comes as a result of entertainment.
    Lol without alcohol,

on a serious note, even with your reasons they do not justify the ridicouls amount of cash that is in football atm, if every player gave away .5% of their cash every year, do you have any idea how much good that would do in the world?
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsi View Post
    Dunno about you, but being a professional sportsman is bound to a daily training, perfect diet (without alcohol, etc) and the stress of failure. The money just comes as a result of entertainment.
    There are jobs out there that get paid less and them failing can be alot more worse than people QQing because their team lost.

When they bought Berbatov they bought one other player for 5 million (Who they've since sold for 7 million)
    When they bought Rooney their other spending that season was 200,000 on Rossi (Who since has been sold for 6.7 Million)
    When they bought Ferdinand they spent 1.5 mil on Ricardo and an undisclosed amount for Kieran Richardson (Ricardo let go for free but Richardson sold for 5.5 million)

Those are 3 signings over 6 seasons, they were the only big money buys in those seasons. He didn't exactly spend 90 million in a single season there. Look at the spending Chelsea and City have done since they came into money and compare to United, Arsenal or even Liverpool.
    I was merely pointing out that is a myth that Chelsea and Man City are the only teams that pay huge fee for players, don't get me wrong they haven't helped the situation. Since the start of Premier League Utd have broken the British transfer record 3 times and in terms of money spent on transfers only Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool have outspent them since 1992.

I'm not saying that Utd did not deserve to spend the money, before they were saddled with their current debt they made a healthy profit each year. It was the fact that they had become such a big brand that is able to attract the big name players that for any other team to be able to compete with them, that team must spend big.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    There are jobs out there that get paid less and them failing can be alot more worse than people QQing because their team lost.
    Such as your job at the local kebab shop right ? Gtfo here if you've no intention of actually talking about football.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I was merely pointing out that is a myth that Chelsea and Man City are the only teams that pay huge fee for players, don't get me wrong they haven't helped the situation. Since the start of Premier League Utd have broken the British transfer record 3 times and in terms of money spent on transfers only Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool have outspent them since 1992.
    Thing is if they bought a big signing, with the exception of the year where Keane stated publicly we needed to spend big to win big and the responce was buying both Nistlerooy and Veron in the same year, that was pretty much their transfer deals done that year. Otherwise they'd spend reasonable money on buying several players. Even now they've only broken the 30 million mark once and that was for Berbatov.

Of the three times they've broken the record, one was beaten 6 months later by Arsenal, one was due to the exception year listed above (which has been documented many times as a mistake and a lesson learned) and the other was Rio Ferdinand who has been worth every penny for the 9 years (minus suspension time) since.

Thing is the "big money buys" are not a consistency, for every 25+ million spending you've got some of the greatest bargains of all time. Schmeichel for 530,000, Cantona for 1.2 Million, Solksjaer for 1.5 Million, Ronaldo for 12.5 million (considering we'd sold Beckham for twice that in the same year, and not even before you get to the fact that Ronaldo went with an 80 million price tag, it's STILL a bargain) Van Der Sar for 2 Million, Vidic for 7 Million and Hernandez for 6 Million.

United do not "flash the cash" as a standard, which was my point, when they do it it's an uncommon event. The new money that's come in does it every year and to excessive amounts, that's driven the price market up more than anything else.

You got Cesc Fabregas way wrong, he went for 35M (still over priced as he isn't that good, watch him warm the barcelona bench).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trix View Post
    You got Cesc Fabregas way wrong, he went for 35M (still over priced as he isn't that good, watch him warm the barcelona bench).
    You need to add on the bonuses that Arsenal will get paid, it gets a lot closer to 50 mil.

Deleted
    I agree the salaries are crazy high, but that doesn't mean that their job is easy as some people in this thread have stated. Almost all professional high paid players have been training to play football since a very young age and after they successfully land a good team and a multi million contract, their job is tough.

In a way a footballers can be compared to tough bootcamp. Training almost everyday, stress during matches and outside (in some countries players are celeberties and are followed around 24/7). Stress wise, imagine missing an important penalty while 70,000+ people watching.... that kind of stuff can really get into people's heads.

Lots of travel for away games and that travel isn't holidays and sight seeing, it is strictly get there, play and go back home and at times even when back home, sometimes they have to live on the training base grounds and cannot always go home to see their families.

To me it is a tough sport and the high wages is just a result of the sport becoming the most popular sport in the world and is part of the entertainment business.

Honestly a lot of "poor" people put much less effort into their jobs than footballers do. Most people just see footballers as rich pricks with nice cars, but majority of their job description isn't really shown to the public much because it is boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    People cry about footballer's wages. Fact is you look at the business and the money their performance and work brings in, they're entitled to their fair share of it.

Deleted
    People cry about footballer's wages. Fact is you look at the business and the money their performance and work brings in, they're entitled to their fair share of it.
    not to mention the UK's got some fucked up tax system

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devourer View Post
    not to mention the UK's got some fucked up tax system
    Which is why all the F1 drivers move to Monaco

You need to add on the bonuses that Arsenal will get paid, it gets a lot closer to 50 mil.
    No, the amount of money as they explained in the official Fabregas' presentation were some like

29M to pay instantly
    2+2+1 in bonuses in case of winning 2 leagues + 1 champions league while Fabregas stays in Barcelona for the next 5 years
    1M Fabregas pays each year from his salary (5 years)

So lets suppose that Barça wins 2 leagues and the champions league for the next 5 years

that makes 29+5+5, thats 39M, 11M far from 50M

Sorry for my poor english, not my main language ^^

Which is why all the F1 drivers move to Monaco
    Not exactly much of a possibility if you're needed at training at 9am daily

On player taxation, if a player is smart he'll have a good accountant to legally reduce his taxable income, i believe a recent report suggests that Rooney pays something like 2% tax on his non-football income by clever accounting. For obvious reasons your "headline wage" can't be cooked, that's gonna be taxed at the much higer rate, but when you look at endorsement deals, secondary incomes etc a good accountant can utilise loopholes within the tax system to ensure you only pay what can't be avoided. Shit in these economic times, but not a strategy i will ever slaughter anyone for - when you're paying 50% tax on your wages, even for a footballer that's government extortion!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

People who earn a lot of money have financial advisers and money holed up in different accounts. Additionally if a player can argue that his 'image rights' are worth something there is a loophole allowing for them to be taxed less, they will not be taxed as hard as you think.

The market is stupid at the moment and is beginning to filter down to lower leagues, English players are especially inflated at the moment. £7m for Shane Long? Good player come on, the best thing he's done against my team is dive on the edge of the box, earning a free kick they scored from, that said, our central defenders had Andy Carroll in their back pocket during Newcastle's champ season.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
    The market is stupid at the moment and is beginning to filter down to lower leagues, English players are especially inflated at the moment. £7m for Shane Long? Good player come on, the best thing he's done against my team is dive on the edge of the box, earning a free kick they scored from, that said, our central defenders had Andy Carroll in their back pocket during Newcastle's champ season.
    lol you're talking about shane long but forgetting Man city's players HUGE wages and transfer fees. Andy Carroll costed 35m because his deal was finished in the last transfer day, had it been completed earlier I'm sure that final sum would at least be halved. Even though Man City are rich right now and are fuckign up the market, I'm 100% sure in 15-20 years' time they'll be down 3 Divisions at least because that sheikh's not gonna be here forever and I'm sure he's gonna get bored at one point with Man City.
    Last edited by mmoc4984f07cc4; 2011-08-18 at 10:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzard View Post
    No, the amount of money as they explained in the official Fabregas' presentation were some like

29M to pay instantly
    2+2+1 in bonuses in case of winning 2 leagues + 1 champions league while Fabregas stays in Barcelona for the next 5 years
    1M Fabregas pays each year from his salary (5 years)

So lets suppose that Barça wins 2 leagues and the champions league for the next 5 years

that makes 29+5+5, thats 39M, 11M far from 50M

Sorry for my poor english, not my main language ^^
    There's 29 mil to pay instantly, the remainder of the original 35 million gets paid in the new year, then you add the bonuses. That's how it got explained over here at least

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Devourer View Post
    I'm sick of seeing this quote on every (football) forum I'm visiting, Aguero's an absolutely excellent player, you'd probably say the same BS if messi were to come to the PL , " LOL HES UNPROVEN IN THE PREMIERSHIP LETS TRANSFER EMILE HESKEY INSTEAD LOLOLO PROVEN PLAYER ".
    Good job being a completely reasonable person about it. I never said he wasn't excellent, but the premier division isn't exactly the prance and dance la liga is.

Sit back down, you arrogant twit.

I bet you're one of those people that signs off every message with a "YNWA" aren't you