Deleted

Unhappy Baleroc normal 10 man healing

As a guild we're slowly but happily progressing through Firelands and are at 5/7, so yes that does mean we have previously killed baleroc.

However, I'm just not sure if our healing team are doing things a bit haphazardly as it's the only boss out of the 5 that are giving us problems to kill on a fairly consistent basis, and it's always down to healing on decimation blade (and sometimes, just healing in general).

Setup

Pally tank

3x Pally healers (yes we don't have that much diversity here occasionally we could have a shammy or druid, and if the planets alight, both)

2x DKs
    1x Shadowpriest
    1x arcane mage
    1x demo lock
    1x hunter (can't remember his spec)

What we're generally doing on crystals is having the dps split in to 3 groups
    Lock+Priest
    Mage+DK
    Hunter+DK

Each group takes one crystal, the first in the group will take 10 stacks, then the 2nd will take 15 with a cooldown for the last 5 (Dispertion, AMS).

My question would be......

How the hell should we be handling the healing to make the use of it? Also is it the right way to handle it, or should we just revert to 9+9+7 per crystal.
    Note we did try having the Shadowpriest take 25 stacks however we just couldn't heal through it.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/c2iq4...=11088&e=11422
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/czuok...?s=9630&e=9954
    Last edited by mmocfb7c7f3c31; 2011-07-25 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added log files from previous kills

From what i can share from our tactics:

The first crystal I (fury warrior) takes 18 stacks. i didnt got in any healthproblems, but did used shieldwall and enraged regen to help out with that. another dps takes the remaining 7 stacks. (we had a druid to heal me and build up loads of stacks)

every crystal after that we do with 3 dps 9-9-7 (we use 5 dps in total rotation)

Are one of your DKs taking the decimation blade as a makeshift OT? I guess it CAN be done with just one tank, but you are probably giving your healers heart attacks during every decimation blade.

We run 2 tanks, 3 healers. One tank for decimation blade, one MT. The dps switch off on crystals. Warlock/mage then pally/hunter/rogue. One healer is assigned to heal each crystal, the other two are on the tanks and we rotate. This is easy to remember, and keeps stacks up. After the first healer with stacks returns to tanks, tank heals are no longer a problem. We have never had any trouble with decimation blade this way. Good luck.

Edit: We have a pally, shaman/priest, and me (druid) healing. We found it best for the pally to take the 1st crystal to get stacks early.
    Last edited by Shiftyshifty; 2011-07-25 at 07:39 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by godhand2nd View Post
    As a guild we're slowly but happily progressing through Firelands and are at 5/7, so yes that does mean we have previously killed baleroc.

However, I'm just not sure if our healing team are doing things a bit haphazardly as it's the only boss out of the 5 that are giving us problems to kill on a fairly consistent basis, and it's always down to healing on decimation blade (and sometimes, just healing in general).

Setup

Pally tank

3x Pally healers (yes we don't have that much diversity here occasionally we could have a shammy or druid, and if the planets alight, both)

2x DKs
    1x Shadowpriest
    1x arcane mage
    1x demo lock
    1x hunter (can't remember his spec)

What we're generally doing on crystals is having the dps split in to 3 groups
    Lock+Priest
    Mage+DK
    Hunter+DK

Each group takes one crystal, the first in the group will take 10 stacks, then the 2nd will take 15 with a cooldown for the last 5 (Dispertion, AMS).

My question would be......

How the hell should we be handling the healing to make the use of it? Also is it the right way to handle it, or should we just revert to 9+9+7 per crystal.
    Note we did try having the Shadowpriest take 25 stacks however we just couldn't heal through it.
    If you are using a Demonology Warlock on Baleroc, I think your Warlock is doing something wrong. According to current BiS Set Items and Specs, Affliction is the Best DPS Output, however a Demonology Warlock comes handy into the Lord Rhyolith Fight.

Destruction is the second best spec. According to DPS Output, all though on Ragnaros a Warlock should be Destruction, never the less.

Assuming you are doing Baleroc on 10M (According to your Setup) you should have only 4 people taking the Shards. Hunter should never and never be on Shards at all. He does not have any DMG Reduction Cooldowns at all to use on a Frequent Base.

If your Warlock is Destruction he can mitigate 65% of the DMG done from the Shards, by a Glyphed Soul Link (Reduce 25% DMG to your Pet) 10.2k Absorbed by Nether Ward and 10k Resisted over Time. IF he is a Demonology Warlock he does not have good DMG Mitigating Cooldowns.

Meta does Reduce 47% DMG but is on a 3 Minute Cooldown, so in fact most likely your Warlock gets more DMG than he should take. Also the fact that your Hunter is not able to 100% use each time his mitigating cooldowns makes your Healers more strain.

That is as far one reason I can think about how to do less strain on the Healers and thus more mana for Tanks. Also I don't get the idea of 15 Stacks. According to our Guild Runs you have to built up stacks till 12. Because at 12 you get sucked into the Shard and can't move out of it. Which makes you take major DMG. What you can do is that the Warlock put a Portal in the Back and teleports out when he gets to 12. Mage can Iceblock out of it, or Blink out of it. And DK should start running at 10.

For your information if you put a DPS (in Example a DK, like we are donig) into Melee Range the Crystal will always spawn on him. Let him run (Strafing) between two sides. The one side with the Lock + Priest and the Other side between the Mage + DK so he spawns in fact the Crystal in the Right Spot.

If you don't do that, you might have the problem that the Crystal is spawning into your Healer Group, or the DPS Group that don't taking them.

You choose where to spawn the Crystal, and trust me that's a key in the Fight.

Hope you can do something with what I said. We're only 4/7 but one shot Baleroc each week. Only trouble is Mister RNG Random Numbers Lord Rhy

Take care and GL on Ragnaros

Deleted
    Having 3 paladin healers in this fight would be a god's gift.

What we found out to be piss-easy is having two groups of two dps handling the crystal. DPS A takes the first 15 stacks of the first crystal, DPS B takes the rest of the first crystal. DPS C takes the first 15 stacks of the second crystal, DPS D takes the rest of the second crystal. Rinse and repeat.

To be able to take 15 stacks of a crystal you need to have two healers healing the crystal people. What your healers will be doing is rotating between healing the tank(s) and the dps.

Healer 1 starts with the tank. He heals the tank for the duration of the first crystal. When the second crystal spawns healer 1 starts healing the dps and healer 2 heals the tanks. Healer 3 stays on the dps. When the third crystal spawns healers 1 and 2 will heal the dps while the third healer switches to the tanks.

We prefer using 2 tanks, since topping off a high hp tank during Decimation Blade can prove to be quite a challenge. The decimation blade tank grabs enough stacks of the Blaze of Glory (usually 2) so he is over 250k hp.

Having 4 paladins in the raid gives your tanks 4 LoH's. This gives you a LoH for every Decimation Blade making them fairly easy to handle. (Since your tank has only 250k+ hp, every LoH should heal them for over 50% of their HP)

If you get 2 Decimation Blades in a row and your paladin tank has the forbearance debuff (so he can't be LoH'd) use Ardent Defender to help your healers out

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that with an average dps (22k+) you shouldn't get more than 4 Decimation Blades, unless your raid is very unlucky.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mmoc68a4e4b5e2; 2011-07-25 at 07:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a healer for this fight for my 10m guild, I can easily say that once you have a healing rotation down with your partners, the fight is easy.

Set down 2 marks for DPS, and one for healers and 1 ranged dps that doesn't take Torment. We (the healers and Hunter) stood on Blue mark, while DPS stacked on Green with Purple on the other side of the boss.

When the crystal spawned, all DPS minus the first taking Torment moved to the other mark. He takes roughly 14 stacks, then switches with his partner, who finishes off the crystal. At this point, rotation 2 comes in for the second crystal. Rinse and repeat.

We have 1 tank healer, and 2 Torment healers, and the first crystal is a little crazy but after that it settles into an easy rotation.

Our Holy Pally starts on the tank, while myself (holy priest) and the other healer (usually a druid, sometimes another holy priest), spam the first torment target. When the second person picks up torment, I switch onto the tank and the Pally switches to getting stacks from Torment. When the second crystal spawns, our third healer switches to tank healing while I go back to getting stacks. This time, and for every crystal after, one healer takes the tank for the whole crystal. So our third healer takes the tank through the entire second crystal, then the pally, who has a massive amount of stacks by this point, switches to the tank for the third crystal, myself the fourth, and so on.

We also definitely use an offtank to pick him up first for Decimation Blades; your fastest heals here are necessary, or LoH if you won't get them up in time.

Alternatively, you could two-heal the tank while one person gets stacks, though I would recommend a 9/9/9 stack for that one and rotate through your dps in a 1-5 order.

Hope it helps.

Deleted
    For one, why are you solo tanking it? Two tanks makes it easier imo and unless you have some major slackers you oughta be able to 5DPS the enrage.

Seconedly, it's ludicrous that you can't do the Spriest strat with 3 pally healers. Do they realize they have Hand of Sacrifice and Aura Mastery, both of which will make the priest take practically no damage? It should be an absolute joke, not to mention they have a gallery of personal CDs as well.

Crystal 1: Priest takes 25 stacks. Pally 1 heals the tank with Beacon on priest. Pally 2 heals the priest. Pally 3 heals the priest.

Crystal 2: Mage takes 12 stacks. Lock takes 13. Pally 1 heals the DPS. Pally 2 heals the tanks. Pally 3 heals DPS.

Crystal 3: Hunter takes 12, DK takes 13. Pally 1 heals the DPS. Pally 2 heals the DPS. Pally 3 heals the tanks.

Important: On every priest crystal have 1 of your pallies use Divine Favor, pop Hand of Sac (and DP for personal CD) on the priest at 10 and Aura Mastery resistance at 15. Priest disperses at 19. With all 3 of those CDs used the priest should be easily solo healable. And yet you have two healers on him as well as a beacon from a 3rd. There is NO WAY he should die, this makes the fight way easier and your healers need to learn to do it. You also have FOUR LoH to use if he's close to death.

All the while you two tank the boss (I assume one of your DKs switched to blood) in order to make Decimation Blade easier to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    For one, why are you solo tanking it? Two tanks makes it easier imo and unless you have some major slackers you oughta be able to 5DPS the enrage.

Seconedly, it's ludicrous that you can't do the Spriest strat with 3 pally healers. Do they realize they have Hand of Sacrifice and Aura Mastery, both of which will make the priest take practically no damage? It should be an absolute joke, not to mention they have a gallery of personal CDs as well.

Crystal 1: Priest takes 25 stacks. Pally 1 heals the tank with Beacon on priest. Pally 2 heals the priest. Pally 3 heals the priest.

Crystal 2: Mage takes 12 stacks. Lock takes 13. Pally 1 heals the DPS. Pally 2 heals the tanks. Pally 3 heals DPS.

Crystal 3: Hunter takes 12, DK takes 13. Pally 1 heals the DPS. Pally 2 heals the DPS. Pally 3 heals the tanks.

Important: On every priest crystal have 1 of your pallies use Divine Favor, pop Hand of Sac (and DP for personal CD) on the priest at 10 and Aura Mastery resistance at 15. Priest disperses at 19. With all 3 of those CDs used the priest should be easily solo healable. And yet you have two healers on him as well as a beacon from a 3rd. There is NO WAY he should die, this makes the fight way easier and your healers need to learn to do it. You also have FOUR LoH to use if he's close to death.

All the while you two tank the boss (I assume one of your DKs switched to blood) in order to make Decimation Blade easier to deal with.
    This explains things perfectly. The only difference I'd suggest is less stacks on the hunter. The DK can take more since AMS will be up each time and it owns the shards. Not a necessary change, but will make healing requirements a tad lighter.

Hm, why are trying to make it so hard ? it is not hm, where you need as much healing stacks as you can. Dont create a bicycle.
    In 10m you need 2 groups in 3 dps each. 2 tanks and 2 healers. If your healers are not that good to make the boss together take the 3-d one. One of the groups will consist of 2 persons - set the fellows with mitigation CD there.
    Actually we take 2 groups 2dps in each, and the last one that helps if someone fails. Btw our healers still have some blue items and only one pala is there.
    That's all...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velidan View Post
    Hm, why are trying to make it so hard ? it is not hm, where you need as much healing stacks as you can. Dont create a bicycle.
    In 10m you need 2 groups in 3 dps each. 2 tanks and 2 healers. If your healers are not that good to make the boss together take the 3-d one. One of the groups will consist of 2 persons - set the fellows with mitigation CD there.
    Actually we take 2 groups 2dps in each, and the last one that helps if someone fails. Btw our healers still have some blue items and only one pala is there.
    That's all...
    Both 3 healing with 3 groups (1 of them spriest) and 2 healing with 2 groups of 3 dps each will work. I've found 3 healing to be more stable but maybe mileage will vary. There is nothing "hard" about it though. It's not hard to just press a CD in rotation on the Spriest, and once that CD is up he's very easy to heal. Paladin healers have such a huge plethora of CDs, both personal ones and HoS+Aura Mastery that it seems like a total waste to not use the spriest strat. If you can have the extra stacks from for healing why would you not want them?

Deleted
    Guys, thanks for the feedback and info, hopefully with that it should be a one shot, and then on to Staghelm

Deleted
    We are learning this fight also at the moment, and our best try last night was 18%..

But we are currently using 5 dps in a rotation on the crystals, swapping at 9 stacks just because we seem to lose people if we try to stack higher than that!

We 1 tank, 3 healed, 6 dps'd it. Had a resto druid and a pally and a disc priest for our kill. Had 2 teams of 2 taking the crystal, after a few attempts it became second nature to us. Was fire mage(me - I volunteered to take the dps loss so the arcane mage and boomkin could just go balls out) + fury warrior, and kitty + rogue. Popping lust straight away into the fight, with the pally on the tank and CDs being used for the first decimation while the resto went into treeform and derped out to get crazy stacks, and the disc priest did stack building as well. This allowed the resto druid crazy amounts of healing and uptime on the tank and they worked out a rotation on what times they would switch and to whom. I wish I could give more info on their rotation but I was focusing on paying attention to crystals and pew pewing fire. We got to a point where our teams stuck together to dps the boss while it wasn't our turn or no crystal was up. I was always standing near the warrior and moved to get into position to take the stream as soon as hit stacks were up. We sat our partners on focus to be able to watch their stacks and move in accordingly, and communicated very openly on vent on what was going on. I wiped us one time because healers were talking and the warrior said something about his dmg reduction cd, and I thought he said he was popping it so totally killed him by not taking the shard. So vent being clear and all teams having rotations worked out will help immensely. We had the other 2 dps on backup incase one of the shard people went down or got the buff at the wrong time. Having those 2 extra we knew wouldn't have torment unless something went wrong, really helped.

So long story short, lust, don't be afraid to use CDs on the first decimation blade while 2 healers are going nuts getting stacks, get your team to set the person taking the shard before them on focus, and communicate clearly on when they are popping what CDs to make sure no one takes a shard prematurely and wastes something, or takes it too late.

Deleted
    Just wanted to share our experience on this fight, too.

Our team consists of two tanks, a Healadin, a Priest, a Tree (me!) and five mixed DPS. The DPS are assigned an order one-to-five, and the healers one-to-three. Our off-tank pulls and tanks the boss until he's over 250k hp, and then the maintank holds him for the rest of the fight. Off-tank taunts for Decimation Blades.

At any time, there are at least two healers on the current tank. On the pull all three healers are on the tank. The first crystal spawns and DPS 1 starts taking the stacks, while Healer 1 starts healing the person getting stacks. DPS 1 goes up to 10 stacks and then DPS 2 switches in; DPS 2 goes up to 10 stacks and then DPS 3 switches in for the remaining few. Healer 1 is healing the crystal-hugger all the way through the first crystal, so they're switching healing targets accordingly.

When the next crystal drops, DPS 4 starts taking stacks, Healer 1 switches to the tank, and Healer 2 starts healing the crystal-hugger. DPS 4 gets 10 stacks, DPS 5 takes over and gets 10 stacks, and by this time DPS 1's debuff should be clear - so DPS 1 takes the last stacks on the crystal.

When the third crystal drops, DPS 2 starts taking stacks while Healer 2 switches to the tank and Healer 3 to the crystal-hugger. DPS 2 takes 10 stacks, then DPS 3 takes 10 stacks, and then DPS 4 takes the remaining stacks.

So basically we've got two rotations going on. The 5 DPS are rotating in order so that they each get no more than 10 stacks, while the 3 Healers are rotating so they each heal a single crystal, and then switch to the tank when they're done. This means the healers build up their own +healing stacks pretty quickly, while the DPS don't have too much disruption and don't take too much damage.

The one thing we found made the biggest difference was for the healing team to move into a seperate channel on Vent, so that we could communicate changes effectively without talking over the DPS (and vice-versa.) I share a bedroom with our main tank so he can announce to me seperately when the tanks are switching, but if you're not lucky enough to have this setup, you can achieve the same with /party or /raid macros.

Once we got this configuration right, the fight's a one-shot every week - and, IMHO, one of the most fun fights for a healer. As a resto druid I don't get stacks anywhere NEAR as fast as the others, but my nourishes are huuuge, so I'm happy

All I am going to say is this:

http://www.glowbie.net/blog/2011/07/...aleroc-10-man/

Me and my other 2 healers used this strategy and we 2 shot it. You just need to get a few lucky dodges on the Decimation blade if he does it before you're first healer has the 50 stacks.

Trust me, use that guide to a tee adn your'e good. If your tank has the Theralion trinket, that will make the difference.