[Music] Going to start playing the keyboard

As the title says, after many years of thinking about it I'm going to finally start learning to play the keyboard. I've got a yamaha fullsize one from a friend, but I'm curious as to if Its possible to teach yourself or do you need lessons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchbag View Post
    As the title says, after many years of thinking about it I'm going to finally start learning to play the keyboard. I've got a yamaha fullsize one from a friend, but I'm curious as to if Its possible to teach yourself or do you need lessons?
    You can teach yourself, as I am currently doing, but it would be better to get professional lessons so you can do everything right. I find it difficult to teach myself, but very satisfying at the end.

Piano/Keyboard is absolutely something that is possible to learn yourselves (I did); however you need to be laborous in practising your left hand (playing the bass) and to play scales etc.. its boring but will help you..

dont bother with sheets at start; just learn chords and practise changing from one to another.. learn melodies from songs you like etc... if you can sing (I can't) you should playing chords with your right hand, double bass with your left and sing the melody..

Hope you found this at least somehow useful..

G

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrome View Post
    Piano/Keyboard is absolutely something that is possible to learn yourselves (I did); however you need to be laborous in practising your left hand (playing the bass) and to play scales etc.. its boring but will help you..dont bother with sheets at start; just learn chords and practise changing from one to another.. learn melodies from songs you like etc... if you can sing (I can't) you should playing chords with your right hand, double bass with your left and sing the melody.. Hope you found this at least somehow useful..G
    This was very helpful indeed, however I will definitely have to look up musical terms as I know very little about chords and bass. And I do have a few songs I can think of that I would like to learn. But thanks for the reply

10+ Year Old Account
    I taught myself for the first couple years and I enjoyed that much more than when I took a few lessons. I found that deadlines to mastering pieces made it feel more like a chore than something that I had fun doing. Like the other guy said, practice your scales a bit, but only until they are smooth, which shouldn't take you very long at all. When you start working on sheets, I highly recommend that you play it through in its entirety with the right hand alone a couple times, then do the same for the left. After that, cut the piece into manageable chunks no bigger than a line, and practice those 1 hand at a time, followed by both hands.

This is what I thought of when I saw the thread title:

They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.