Focused Will viability in 10m H Firelands

We are currently 2/7 Heroic Firelands.

The raid leader asked everyone to consider any survivability talents as we are working on the heroic encounters.

I know the Disc tree has two, Inner Sanctum which can reduce spell damage by 6% for 3 talent points and Focused Will which reduces any damage by 10% (stacking twice) after you take damage greater then 10% of your health or a non periodic crit.

Inner Sanctum can be useful in a few scenarios such as getting attacked by dogs on Shannox or perhaps when Flame Scythes are coming less then 8 seconds apart on Staghelm. I wasn't sure how long apart Ember Flare was cast in P2 of Beth'tilac or Blazing Buffet on Alysrazor. On Rags I suppose you get some benefit during the Molten Inferno from the seeds exploding and after if the Elementals happen to target you.

So basically I'm trying to decide if it is worth 2 points or if there just isn't enough benefit to justify using 2 points that could easily be used elsewhere.

Since my 2nd spec has currently been switched from Holy to Shadow I have been trying to rework my Discipline spec to be more versatile but have been having trouble deciding. It was thinking an Atonement spec with 4 points that can move around. The choices for the last 4 points would be...
    2/2 Soul Warding - If I wanted the flexibility to multi-shield in emergency situations
    2/2 Train of Thought - For more free casts / very situational Penance cool down reduction
    2/2 Focused Will - If the survivability is worth it
    2/3 Darkness - If I want to hit the 2.5 second casts -> 2.1 seconds haste plateau

Anyways any discussions on Focused Will or talent choices are welcome.

The link to my talents are below but they are kinda a mess atm as I was testing Focused Will
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary

Focused Will is a decent talent for Beth (Ember Flare is 6s) and Stag for the scorpion cleaves. I don't think Blazing Buffet on Aly actually does enough damage to proc it (it's around 13-15k before resists), but I've never actually had it speced for that fight. Personally I would drop ToT for it since I usually don't cast that many GH in an atonement spec and I don't find the penance component useful at all.

I would honestly make the AA component of your spec something that can be "moved around" too. Not every fight is good for Atonement, and even on the fights it's good on, you may or may not have the luxury of using it when you would most need it.

It's not a bad idea to customize your spec based on whatever boss you're currently working on.
    Last edited by Aleysia; 2011-07-25 at 09:18 PM.

Agree - wouldn't take the ToT because GH will be very low cast priority on that fight, but also look at dropping a point from somewhere to pick up desperate prayer. Soul warding also seems pretty strong in your situation for the mobility component. Good luck.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I took Focused Will for Beth'tilac 25 HC progress, and it didn't seem to proc from Ember Flare. If you're not going for Atonement, and you want more of a survival build for hard modes, I'd run with something like this:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhcrosbfoMocuMZo

Quote Originally Posted by Tihr View Post
    I took Focused Will for Beth'tilac 25 HC progress, and it didn't seem to proc from Ember Flare. If you're not going for Atonement, and you want more of a survival build for hard modes, I'd run with something like this:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhcrosbfoMocuMZo
    Very weird, I checked out some 10 man logs and saw one where the focused will buff was up about 47% of the fight but that was basically from the start right up until the last phase where it was never proc'ed by Ember Flare at all like you said.

But I'll take the advice of adjusting the spec depending on the encounter were working on such as Beth'tilac in this case.

15+ Year Old Account
    AA is very poor for 10m progression imho. You just don't have a lot of time to throw smites around.
    Focused Will is not proccing from dots and lot of periodic aoe damage are considered dots, sadly.
    Absolutely try and adjust for the current boss, yes. If FW is proccing a lot on a boss, then it's very much worth it.
    Inner Sanctum 3/3: I consider it mandatory for progress. 6% off of spell damage or 16% movement boost is extremely good almost anywhere.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just move 1 point from ToT into Focused Will. That's what I do. 50% on ToT is plenty unless it is a heavy tank healing fight.