Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The PSU is not that bad and 6970 is not very power hungry.
    +12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, +12V3@20A, +12V4@20A, <---- his PSU (12v rail = what that GPU needs)
    +12V1@40A, +12V2@40A, +12V3@40A, +12V4@40A <----- thats what i'd want for that GPU, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371050)

If I knew how many HDs/optical drives and what other stuff he had plugged in it would be easier to tell but I'll tell you what. I built a PC with a rosewill PSU once just over a year ago, and I never will again. The rails are all wrong on them, think they're just rebranded Startech PSUs because those are just as bad and never perform as advertised.

Oh yeah, make sure the PSUs little tab on the back (little red tab next to power connector from wall) is set to 110/115 or whatever, and not 220/240 or of course it wont turn on. (Oh disregard this, that PSU doesn't have a switch tab)

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to mention. I have a little PC shop here in Florida and I checked my newegg account and noticed I have used that exact same board in a few customer builds within the last few months. I hate MSI with a passion for various reasons and personally only use ASUS for my own stuff.... but thats a good board and if you look through forums, most of those DOAs are just power issues.
    Last edited by Roxxormcownage; 2011-07-25 at 07:31 PM.

I like how that Antec is a 900W PSU but with those rails claims it's much closer to 2000W.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I just tried switching the PCI lane that the vid card is in (after having to move the hard drives and ram and.. anyway) nothing worked

have another GPU laying around? I keep a geforce 7200 series laying around...its crap but it uses little power so I can tell if its PSU or what..

@Roxx: if the problem were the PSU, why is the computer turning on and running?

---------- Post added 2011-07-25 at 07:40 PM ----------

@Roxx: I don't have another GPU around. I'm sure my friend who helped me put it in wouldn't mind trying his gtx 260 in the computer once he gets home in a few hours

---------- Post added 2011-07-25 at 07:45 PM ----------

@Roxx: Alsdo, you do realize that my computer was running previously with the phenom II 1090t 6 core right? Is there something different about the power connectors on the amd processor vs. the new intel one I have which is now affecting me being able to see my screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaios View Post
    @Roxx: if the problem were the PSU, why is the computer turning on and running?

---------- Post added 2011-07-25 at 07:40 PM ----------

@Roxx: I don't have another GPU around. I'm sure my friend who helped me put it in wouldn't mind trying his gtx 260 in the computer once he gets home in a few hours
    Due to inadequate power. But, yeah I'd suggest trying the other GPU, if that doesn't work then yea i'd say its a DOA board myself.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's not much of a reason to have a 900W PSU with 4 12v rails that handle 40 amps for a single GPU system. Even with two you'll still have plenty of headroom.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

@Sephiracle: So you're saying that the problem can't possibly be the power supply then and that it could be a DOA board like what everyone else is saying?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaios View Post
    @Sephiracle: So you're saying that the problem can't possibly be the power supply then and that it could be a DOA board like what everyone else is saying?
    I would try out the different gpu, that should narrow down what is/isn't the problem.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

All right. Thanks for the help so far guys. I'll post back later after we try the GPU swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxormcownage View Post
    +12V1@40A, +12V2@40A, +12V3@40A, +12V4@40A <----- thats what i'd want for that GPU,
    So, you want 1920W for a GPU that barely uses 210W ?

Look at this....
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/11

1a+ for that GPU is recommended. (6970s)... TDP of 250w (250w/12v = 20.8333, which you're not going to get from a 20a rail.) And thats not even under load.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...6970-review/10 for idle/load tdp.

Yeah technically your PSU SHOULD boot up with that card... but I still don't trust Rosewills efficiency ratings, never seen any good out of those. Still, try another card.

It doesn't use that much. It uses 210W spread between 2 connectors. And you don't count the motherboard power.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, the horrendous black screen. Worse than the blue one! Have got it a few times and it has everytime been either due to power supply or components that do not work together, mainly ram. If your Mobo supports the GPU, Ram and CPU, then its back to the shop and change the PSU to a compatible one. Assuming it's a new PSU.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

So, you want 1920W for a GPU that barely uses 210W ?
    Nope, don't need to go anywhere near 1000W for it to work right, just a good PSU with good rails that work as advertised..
    Besides, the TDP on that GPU is 250w and it will hit 300w at full load.

Besides, the TDP on that GPU is 250w and it will hit 300w at full load.
    No, it won't. That's for the whole system.

@Roxx: when you say most of the DOA's are just power issues, you mean issues concerning the power supply not being able to support it? Or were you talking about the little red pins with 110/115 or whatever? But you said to disregard that, so I'm just a bit confused since my machine is turning on but I'm just not getting a signal through to my monitor.

No, it won't. That's for the whole system.
    Think i'll take Anandtechs/Toms word over yours; sorry man, you loose out on this one.

eh....
    Quote from anandtech:
    "Power is provided by a set of 6+8pin PCIe power sockets at the top of the card, necessary as the 6970’s 250W TDP is in excess of the 225W 6+6 limit. The 6950 on the other hand does use 6+6 PCIe power sockets in the same location, afforded by its lower 200W TDP."
    Yeah you still cant squeeze out 250w from a 20a rail you need 21a minimum...

I STILL think that machine should boot but theres no telling about the efficiency of that PSU.

@Roxx: I'm not understanding why you think it's the "efficiency of the cpu." I am a computer noob (at least I'd say) but I don't see what has changed so drastically that it could now be a power issue. (What exactly has changed just from swapping the motherboards/processor in terms of power?) Sorry if I seem a bit confused by all of this =/

Think i'll take Anandtechs/Toms word over yours; sorry man, you loose out on this one.

eh....
    Quote from anandtech:
    "Power is provided by a set of 6+8pin PCIe power sockets at the top of the card, necessary as the 6970’s 250W TDP is in excess of the 225W 6+6 limit. The 6950 on the other hand does use 6+6 PCIe power sockets in the same location, afforded by its lower 200W TDP."
    Yeah you still cant squeeze out 250w from a 20a rail you need 21a minimum...

I STILL think that machine should boot but theres no telling about the efficiency of that PSU.
    Uh, no? Considering you get 75 Watts just from the slot itself, ie a little over 6 amps, and it's highly possible the two PCIe connectors lie on different Rails as well.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2