Poll: Should Fox back off and leave Ridley to make Prometheus

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Deleted

[Movies] Prometheus movie. Fox insisting on a PG-13 version.

Ok, so I don't know about anyone else but I am looking forward to an alien film actually being good again, and Prometheus is shaping up to look quite interesting.

Firstly Ridley Scott is back at the helm, and secondly he has said he wants to terrify us... We also have some first class actors and actresses; Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace and my personal favourite Guy Pearce. I really cant wait.

Now I hear that A fox executive is getting involved and is insisting on a PG-13 cert!!! wait... WTF!!!

Suits basically buggered up the series by getting more and more involved as time went on; Fincher even said after making Alien 3 that he would rather have colon cancer than go through that again, and almost stopped making films in Hollywood because of it.

When will these movie execs realise, they don't know films, they know money... they should stick to what they know!

Sorry Fuzzzie, i forgot to put [Movies] at the beginning of the title. Not sure how to change after the fact.

I apologise if my post isnt up to a good standard grammatically but I'm shaking as I write this, I really would like to know if ANYONE feels remotely the same.
    Last edited by mmoc9887845ce4; 2011-07-26 at 08:39 PM.

Wait? PG-13, that is stupid. I was hopping to see an actual scary movie for once. The franchise is built on alien gore and terror, I will be sad if they have to move away from that just because they want more people to see the film to make more money.

I personally am sorta bored of the whole alien thing...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astarte View Post
    Sorry Fuzzzie, i forgot to put [Movies] at the beginning of the title. Not sure how to change after the fact.
    It's okay. I'm used to adding them all the time

As for the film, it doesn't surprise me. Studios are spending fortunes on these big-budget films and not seeing the returns they didn't 3-4 years ago. Keeping it open to a wider audience is something you'll probably see a lot more of, especially in films with budgets exceeding 80 million. The story is more of what I'm interested in. I can do without some cursing or a little gore. Won't change it much.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What, the f-ck. PG-13 for a series built on scaring people with creppyness and psudosexual imagry. Fox needs a new brain.

Deleted
    How many Times the films can be shown in one day + how many varied age bums they can get on seat = more money -
    Hollywood/who ever is making the films are pressured by the movies theaters, the more people they can get in one day the more popcorn and over sized cokes they can sell for inflated prices..

That's why the epic long films are getting rare. e.g LOTR series can only been shown so many times and R/18 rated cuts a massive deficit in their profit margins..

hollywood is like all other media, in the last 5/10 years that's playing it safe and dumbing down..

90 min £10 million PG movie about an High School dance class is cheaper to make, will sell to the stupid and will take less losses if it bombs than a 240min, £200 million R rated film..
    its a shame that creative licence is so restricted and controlled by those in power

Or maybe Torrents are to blame?

What ive read about Prometheus seem great, but their is a twist, its either a separate story set before Ripley or I've also heard it might be about the space jockey..i don't know.. But cant wait.. But I think it will be an 18 other wise Scott want make it..
    Last edited by mmocae06178e2b; 2011-07-26 at 10:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fun fact: It's not based on the Alien films. This is a stand alone film. It just has the same DNA of dangerous and scary things happening in space. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(film)But yea, now a days I really dont get why companies push for PG-13 movies, you still have the annoying teenagers and crying babes in R-rated movies, rating wont change movie ticket sales, rated R would in theory make more because it would, in theory, be a better movie because they wont have to cut out important parts of the movie.

I don't mind, as long as there is an R-rated Director's Cut Bluray/DVD after-the-fact that has the real movie in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Studios are spending fortunes on these big-budget films and not seeing the returns they didn't 3-4 years ago.
    Slightly off topic... but that prob has a lot to do with movies costing so much to see in the first place... especially when there are so many other options for seeing them and most movies are just as good at home as they are in the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    It's okay. I'm used to adding them all the time

As for the film, it doesn't surprise me. Studios are spending fortunes on these big-budget films and not seeing the returns they didn't 3-4 years ago. Keeping it open to a wider audience is something you'll probably see a lot more of, especially in films with budgets exceeding 80 million.
    The story is more of what I'm interested in. I can do without some cursing or a little gore. Won't change it much.
    Exactly what I was going to post. It's what's keeping Del Toro from doing his "At The Mountains of Madness" film adaptation, since he refuses to make anything less than a "R" rated movie out of a Lovecraft story.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only answer really is yes, fuck fox!
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Deleted
    There is a little blog called alienprequelnews which has a comic-con video on it, in which Ridley states that he is doing as much as possible 'in-camera' i.e no cgi because its a lot cheaper. Personally, I think a lot of things look slightly better using models rather than cgi anyway (although cgi is pretty detailed these days). The reason a lot of films cost so much is probably because of directors like Michael Bay (and the studio system in general) relying on sensationalism and over the top cg fight scenes and such.

I hope this trend will end soon and the story telling in film will come back to the fore in the industry. The art of film making is an important part of our culture these days and we really need to be more conscientious about the quality of what we watch, and thus send the message to the studios that this is what we want to see on the big screen.

I understand this is just my opinion but I think we have a duty to protect our own culture for the future generations. There is a place for 'badly written' B-Movies in our culture aswell but lets remember the quality of story telling not just the fight sequences.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astarte View Post
    There is a little blog called alienprequelnews which has a comic-con video on it, in which Ridley states that he is doing as much as possible 'in-camera' i.e no cgi because its a lot cheaper. Personally, I think a lot of things look slightly better using models rather than cgi anyway (although cgi is pretty detailed these days). The reason a lot of films cost so much is probably because of directors like Michael Bay (and the studio system in general) relying on sensationalism and over the top cg fight scenes and such.

I hope this trend will end soon and the story telling in film will come back to the fore in the industry. The art of film making is an important part of our culture these days and we really need to be more conscientious about the quality of what we watch, and thus send the message to the studios that this is what we want to see on the big screen.

I understand this is just my opinion but I think we have a duty to protect our own culture for the future generations. There is a place for 'badly written' B-Movies in our culture aswell but lets remember the quality of story telling not just the fight sequences.
    They should change their website name, since it's not an alien prequel and has nothing to do with Alien, other than the director of the original Alien returning to space. They've changed the story and what it's about a few weeks after it's official announcement.

You do have a point there about the CGI thing, but I wouldn't compare season directors who make all sorts of films, to Michael Bay, who's movies only come out in the summer, because that's the only time we're in the mood for mindless action flicks, in December, the action flicks actually have a story to follow, usually. CGI may be expensive, but I'm sure it's less cheaper than creating an actual 2 story robot fight another 2 story robot, then bringing down a giant sky-scraper that they'll have to rebuild. Sometimes CGI is necessary, sometimes it's not, and that's when CGI looks bad, when it's not needed. Art is in the eye of the beholder, not everyone will agree with what someone sees in music, a painting, and movies. There's many people out there that think Nolan is the greatest director ever, there's many that think he's not so great, that's their opinion. Not everything will be Oscar gold, we go to movies to be entertained, story is great and all and does make for great movies, but the whole bashing on CGI and Michael Bay and every movie that relies on action thing is getting old, their entertaining action flicks, and they've been around since the early 90's. People like them, and they will keep seeing them, if a director wants to make easy cash by doing that, then by all means. The studio shouldn't get in the way though, if a movie gets an R rating, let it be R, more people will see it, word of mouth is powerful, it's why Sucker Punch and Scott's period piece Kingdom of Heaven made so little, because they were cut down from R to PG-13, and both of those director's cuts were amazing and what should of been released in theaters.

Deleted
    That's fair enough, and I understand that art is in the eye of the beholder but the point I was trying to make ( maybe unsuccessfully) is that CGI should only be used when it is needed as stated yourself.
    Michael bay is a prime example and an easy target of a director who makes films that are sensationalist and just plain bad but make a young or impressionable audience desensitised to over the top cgi sequences that dazzle them senseless and create the illusion that this is what an action film should be ( maybe I'm talking a little out of fear for the future here - but it seems like this is what is occurring now) this makes the CGI industry more important then it actually is on the whole and drives up the prices involved in making a film.

(also I don't want to look like I'm banging on action films, Aliens was an action film and was damn good; Full Metal jacket is a very good action film also).

the point still remains that CGI costs more than 'in camera' effects and is used by the industry and lazy film makers to make a film which actually has no artistic merit or message or even just story that makes sense.

I Suppose that what I am getting at is that the industry are making films that cost huge amounts and put too much pressure on themselves to make every dime back when they could just put a bit more effort in and make a better film that costs less on the whole.

I do think that there is a place for 'B-movies' and films like transformers et al but in the past these type of pulp movies weren't the big money sinks that they are now.
    Last edited by mmoc9887845ce4; 2011-07-27 at 06:17 PM.