Problems with Shannox

So, I am the raid leader for my guilds first 10man raid group. We started late (as in we really started in on raiding once FL had come out) and we went 12/12 within 2 weeks of never seeing the fights (except vids before each fight) and didn't have any trouble. (Which we better have after that huge nerf) Everyone in the raid is at a 357+ ilvl with most people above a 360. We started FL with Shannox and man are we having trouble. The dps are taking a really long time (3-4 minutes) to bring down the pups. We went from T11 content of having every single dps at 16k and up (our hunter was at 20k consistently) and now they're lucky to be getting to 15k. Is this normal for the encounter? I'll put our make up and our strat:

Tanks are me (feral) and a prot pally. I stick Rip and drop stacks while the pally sticks with Shannox. We have a shaman heals (healing me and helping with the raid), a disc priest (healing the pally and bubbling the ragefaced targets) and a resto druid on the rest of the raid. Our dps is a fury warrior who helps on Rageface until Rageface is at about 20%, then moves to Shannox to get some DPS on him. We have a boomkin and an arcane mage on Rageface to break the facerages. Our hunter (BM) and ele shaman are on Riplimb. We burn through Rageface first. Then kill Rip. Then move to the boss.

We've only seen 2nd phase 3 times in three nights of attempts. I really feel like the troubles are from the DPS just not being high enough. All of them are under 15k. Is it normal for the dps to be that low? And how long should it take to bring the pups down? It only seems like we get to the last phase if all the stars align properly. While I'm not saying we're the best raiders in the world, I just can't understand why we're having such huge problems with a normal mode boss.

Please, any tips would be greatly appreciated. And try to refrain from 'lololol u scrub. cant do normals' We're extremely casual, but I've noticed the other casuals aren't getting raped like we are v.v

(Also, on the make-up: our hunter was trying MM, but she does a LOT less damage in that. And everyone knows how shammies are right now )

---------- Post added 2011-07-27 at 04:45 AM ----------

Oh, and we use the immo traps on Rage and the crystal traps on Rip. The raid avoids em like the plague.

Deleted
    part of the reason may be threat as tanks can't taunt have yourself or an officer actively monitor to tell people to 'peel off' the boss onto the dogs if they are starting to get near overagroing as this allows them to fully nuke their targets without having to hold back due to threat.
    another thing of note is that by now you should be able to get t11.5 gear from the firelands dailies craftable vendors being unlocked. geting an extra 6 ilevels across most weapons and a few armour slots can really help.

Deleted
    Easy mode:
    Kill rageface right of the bat, all dps on him!!
    Have 1 healers on the tank who kites riplimp (Be aware of the distance buff Shannox and the dogs get) and have the 2 other healers Heal the Shannox-tank and if ppl aren't trap-dancing it shouldn't be a problem keeping em up!
    Yes Shannox will get a 30% rage buff, but it shouldent pose to big of a problem for your healer, rotate your cd´s!

All dps switch to Shannox, get him to 38%, and switch to riplimp, once he is dead its a pure tank/spank dps race! - and not a very hard 1 really..

The only problem we have come across is the Shannox tank not watching his feets and eating immolation traps..

Good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    a very viable tactic for normal 10 man is to kill Rageface first, this saves alot of raid healing and healers can focus on tanks, yes this will enrage Shannox a bit but its healable. After we killed Rageface we bring Shannox down to 35% and kill Riblimb. at this moment Shannox is at about 30-31% which is perfect.

Dps wise i think we did it with about the same when we killed him the first time, equal gear to your group.

**EDIT**

arkinedes beat me to it
    Last edited by Iznomage; 2011-07-27 at 10:42 AM.

Deleted
    First kill one dog then the other. Kill Rageface first, then start DPSing down Riplimb. Put Rip in traps only if you need to deal with the debuffs otherwise there is no need. DPS Riplimb down to 20% and then watch for the boss health. Wait until the boss reaches 35%, reset debuffs on the tank then nuke the dog asap and then start on the boss. If you this you will be ok. Main problem is if you kill Riplimb before debuffs reset or if the Shannox has a lot of health. Then it will be impossible to kill him.
    Nuke Rageface and have the healer move to the Shannox tank. It is realy easy to be honest.
    Don't know about your gear but we killed Staghelm in monday with a green geared dude, so gear is not realy the problem as long as tanks are geared properly.

Good luck!

@Viglante: There aren't any threat issues because the hunter MDs Riplimb to me and there are no DPS on Shannox until Rageface is at about 20ish%. By then the Shannox tank has so much threat, no one is going to catch him.

@Ark/Izno: That's the way we tried it the first night but a few dps swore that Tankspots way to kill them (at around the same time) is better. I think that may work better for a 25man group, but I think I'm going to put my foot down and make them do it this way tomorrow night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tankspot is great to get to know a fight and see what the possibilities are to handle different situation, but tbh each raid is different and you have to adjust accordingly what suits you best.

Deleted
    Tankspots vids are good but only if you want to see what the boss does and aproximatly what you need to do to counter those abilities. Tankspots tactics are most of the time incorrect and out of date. So if you use the tactics we mentioned above, will be a lot easier for you. And keep your melee on the boss, there is no need for him to jump around and follow Rageface. He will do a lot more if he just dpses the boss. Trust me

dog->boss to 35->dog->boss
    use dogs to eat traps in p1/2 and dont get frozen, thats like extra 2% of boss HP or in last phase its >10% longer