Deleted

Question regarding RAM

I currently have 4GB RAM, Crucial Ballistix, but I feel like I should upgrade to at least 8GB. My question is the following: When it comes to RAM, does every stick have to be the same brand / model, or can I grab some other model? I've asked some friends, and they've given me mixed answers, some say I can in fact use different sticks, and some say it's not possible?

Oh, and if you have any suggestions on some pretty cheap but well-performing sticks, please do tell me.

You should stick to the same brand model if you can afford it, upgrade all 8 at once do it.

To maximize speed, they are required to be

1. The same capacity (256,512 etc.)
    2. The same speed (pc2700, pc13000 etc.)
    3. The same number of chips on each stick
    4. Both single sided or both double sided

It's recommended to get the same brand model because all these requirements will be met without the buyer having to think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    You should stick to the same brand model if you can afford it, upgrade all 8 at once do it.To maximize speed, they are required to be 1. The same capacity (256,512 etc.)2. The same speed (pc2700, pc13000 etc.)3. The same number of chips on each stick 4. Both single sided or both double sidedIt's recommended to get the same brand model because all these requirements will be met without the buyer having to think.
    Aight, I'll just get a complete new set of sticks in that case, and save my old for my guest computer. DO you have any suggestions for some good sticks within reasonable pricerange?

15+ Year Old Account
    from my personal experience i have too say it's very complicated.
    Like Dazzy said too get the best performance out of all you should stick too the 4 points mentioned
    and if you do decide too go for a different brand or something you have too realize that not every mainboard supports every brand/size/speed of RAM
    every manufacturer has a Qualified Vendor List on their website for every mainboard less than 3-5 years old i think. if the ram you thinking of buying aint on the list buying that ram will be at your own risk. sometimes a bios flash is needed too get the newer rams working(aka without bsod's )

i personally would even consider selling the current 4GB and just buy 8GB of brand new ram as long as it's on the QVL
    hope this helps you in some way

edit: i recently build a pc for a friend and i put used these
    http://www.corsair.com/memory/vengea...m2a1866c9.html
    and payed €64,- for them(which means they should be around 60 pounds or 75 dollars
    Last edited by vexacus; 2011-07-31 at 03:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    just to qualify what happens when you mix RAM:

Your RAM defaults to the slowest speed of whatever RAM you have, usually 667mhz
    You may occasionally get a random Blue Screen for seemingly no reason if you use RAM with different Timing's.
    You may fairly regularly get a random Blue Screen for seemingly no reason if you use RAM with different Voltages.
    You may occasionally get a random Blue Screen for seemingly no reason if you use RAM with different Sizes.

If you play World of Warcraft and any of the above is true, you will fairly regularly get a game crash with a report of "insufficient memory".

You can use different brands of RAM without ill effect.

All this said, I have used 4 sticks of RAM with varying sizes and speeds giving me 5.5GB(2+2+1+0.5) of 667mhz DDR2 RAM which for the most part caused me no major problems, I did however experience all of the above problems with an annoying frequency. It was by no means an optimal setup, (it was made from "waste" machines in the schools "tip" for free )
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-07-31 at 06:00 AM.

Deleted
    Might as well buy some brand new sticks then - and I was thinking about these: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
    But they look kind of big, so I was wondering if you think they will fit on a Gigabyte board (GA-870A-UD3) with a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler on it? I don't have the cooler yet, so I don't know just how big it is other than watching pictures

15+ Year Old Account
    as far as i can tell based on the pictures of the mainboard and cooler.
    it will just about fit.
    but if you don't want too risk it you could go for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233186

Deleted
    Bah, realized I had forgotten to check this, figured they did it because everybody around here links to Newegg, but do they ship outside the US..? EDIT: Found their FAQ and they said they don't...stupid of me to not check this earlier - but are there any other good computer sites around that does ship internationally? (Preferably a site that use $ as their currency, since SEK is standing awesome compared to the dollar at the moment)
    Last edited by mmoc1e9e1a2368; 2011-07-31 at 05:30 PM.