Thread: Cheap desktop

Cheap desktop

Ok so long story short i was close to start shopping around for a new Desktop to game with, i have no intentions of building my on cause i just do not want to have to deal with it. That being said my budget has taken a turn for the worst due to real life =O.

Now i was just wondering with this PC as an example. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883113171

from the looks of this desktop if i were to upgrade the Power supply and get a decent video card would i run into any issues or would i be alright?

for being a stock gateway the spec's and the price seamed like a steal and i can save my dream pc for a much farther away later date.

Thanks in advance for reply's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a pretty surprising price for even some of the features, but I might just be out of date and will leave it to the much more technical minded to give the final advice c:
    Pssh no I totally wasn't partially just subscribing to this since I'm curious as to what they'll say :p

my thoughts exactly Tribunal! xD was looking for that extra advice but from my first look it seemed like a steal!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really a steal. /shrug
    You can build something better for $500, but sure, that'll work if you get a GPU and a solid PSU.

well 500 bucks for someone that really has no intentions of building my own, i can could potentially use my 525w psu i have and pick up a video card. and be pretty well off for awhile correct?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcasaur View Post
    well 500 bucks for someone that really has no intentions of building my own, i can could potentially use my 525w psu i have and pick up a video card. and be pretty well off for awhile correct?
    It wouldn't be the absolutely cheapest option, but it definitely is a capable starting point for the price if you have a PSU you plan on throwing in, just upgrade the GFX card(although I would have to question why you're not interested in building your own, but would be willing to swap in-out parts :P)

Edit: bare in mind it's a micro case though, so you should check that the card will fit the case before you go ahead and buy anything.

As stated earlier;

New psu (300W is very low for a gaming pc, and you would have to replace it if you some day find out to upgrade parts.
    New graphic card - Then again, you would probably need a new psu for that aswell.

I recomment a newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004 since it is enought for the system, and to upgrade some for the future =)
    "Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it, is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world."

Haha Adt you make a good point, but in my defense i have only changed a PSU and installed a video card. that wraps up my know how of putting stuff in the correct way without messing up, i do not doubt its to difficult to build my own i just would rather not worry about it and i just need something to get my buy for awhile my money is about to take some hits due to my wife's last semester of college starting she will lose some good work hours and i sadly have been riding on a really crappy job for far to long =/

that being said im running on an HP with a Pentium processor that's at like 1.6ghz. 2bg of ram running vista. and its hitting its 4th year soon. so i was just looking to rid myself of this situation cheap and fast.

Deleted
    Haha Adt you make a good point, but in my defense i have only changed a PSU and installed a video card. that wraps up my know how of putting stuff in the correct way without messing up, i do not doubt its to difficult to build my own i just would rather not worry about it and i just need something to get my buy for awhile my money is about to take some hits due to my wife's last semester of college starting she will lose some good work hours and i sadly have been riding on a really crappy job for far to long =/

that being said im running on an HP with a Pentium processor that's at like 1.6ghz. 2bg of ram running vista. and its hitting its 4th year soon. so i was just looking to rid myself of this situation cheap and fast.
    No worries, I'm not going to try and force you to change your opinion on it, if you don't want to it's completely up to you.
    I'll just say, I did my first build about a month back and I was so worried, I watched a newegg video on my dads laptop and everything went fine

But yeah, like I said earlier, that does seem like a reasonable starting point for a build, as long as you're not after playing all the new top end games on amazing settings. If you have a 500w PSU to salvage, the only real thing you need to worry about is getting a decent enough GFX card that fits, and when it comes down to the details like this, i'd rather leave it to the 'pro's/regulars' as they are infinitely more knowledgeable on the subject than me, so good luck and I hope you enjoy your new system <3

thanks a million for all the positive reply's!

=D

currently i have a Geforce GT 430 at my disposal that's pretty much brand new currently in my system at the moment. I imagen it would do the trick for this machine, probably should have stated these things in the original post *Doh* xD either way thanks again!!

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks a million for all the positive reply's!

=D

currently i have a Geforce GT 430 at my disposal that's pretty much brand new currently in my system at the moment. I imagen it would do the trick for this machine, probably should have stated these things in the original post *Doh* xD either way thanks again!!
    You can run a GT 430 off of 300W...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You can run a GT 430 off of 300W...
    yes i know it is the minimum watt for this card. but since i have the 525w one i might as well use it and it would enable me to get a better card in the future

10+ Year Old Account
    yes i know it is the minimum watt for this card. but since i have the 525w one i might as well use it and it would enable me to get a better card in the future
    Err... what?

I wouldn't do it... seems like more hassle than it's worth. And btw the hdd in there is garbage, so get ready for MEGA SLOW LOADING.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If 500$ is really all you can spend id recomend this PC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227337

Just slap in your GT430 and you got a fairly decent rig

Also there are these you can check out, http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower-GUA140/16672335

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuypower-...528D3/16775628

Both at a decent price, Comes with a GPU and a 4 core CPU, although not to good, they are not to bad and it meets your budget
    Last edited by sarym13; 2011-07-31 at 09:16 PM.