simple question, R3?

sry to take up your time on this small issue, but either im bad at googling or its just no clear definition, im about to order a laptop, and when i choose one, the names is as follows:
    Alienware M17x R3
    or
    Alienware M17x
    what does this "R3" mean?

First, those links are the same. Second, why an Alienware?
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

It's the same laptop as far as results go for me.

its just weird then.
    why an alienware? cuz it seemed like the one i could get the best components to

Deleted
    What country do you live in, and what's you'r budget?

AlienWare doesn't actually make the best laptops, and by that I mean you can get the best AlienWare and still find a better laptop elsewhere. They're not bad by any means, but you're paying quite a bit more for the name and "design"
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    the "R3" has:
    1 GB of GDDR5 AMD ® Radeon ™ HD 6870M with power XpressMusic

the "standard" has:
    1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GTX 560M

Seeing the price on the thing I can't decide quite how far above 10 I dislike Alienware, on a scale from 1 to 10... =.=

I mean, I think I saw Asus laptop at 5-6k pulling nearly the same weight, with only a weaker GPU being the detrimental part.

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    AlienWare doesn't actually make the best laptops, and by that I mean you can get the best AlienWare and still find a better laptop elsewhere. They're not bad by any means, but you're paying quite a bit more for the name and "design"
    Doesn't ASUS produce better laptops in their "Republik of Gamers" line? I know 3 years ago when I had my G50V from ASUS that it was competitive against my roommates alienware. Did I mention she was pissed about it too?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m...enware-m17x-r3

Here's the English link. For future advice, send English links to an English speaking forum and you'll get better results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillermg View Post
    Doesn't ASUS produce better laptops in their "Republik of Gamers" line? I know 3 years ago when I had my G50V from ASUS that it was competitive against my roommates alienware. Did I mention she was pissed about it too?
    Sager's beat them all when you get to the top end models.

Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m...enware-m17x-r3

Here's the English link. For future advice, send English links to an English speaking forum and you'll get better results.
    Bullshit. If you're ordering from a specific country's website, link us that website.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Bullshit. If you're ordering from a specific country's website, link us that website.
    this - clicking translate in Chrome is not hard.

The m14x upgraded to 3GB video is only 1200 and will perform just fine, if you really need a laptop, though if you could use a desktop you could beat its performance easily for probably 1k, maybe 800

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    the "R3" has:
    1 GB of GDDR5 AMD ® Radeon ™ HD 6870M with power XpressMusic

the "standard" has:
    1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GTX 560M
    I'd go with the standard....just cause I hate ATI...err AMD video cards
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

Deleted
    If you are norwegian, i suggest you check out Komplett.no.
    i guess you have/wanna spend above 10k nok since that alienware costs 12 nok, i suggest this http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=635752.

R3 most likely means Revision 3 of that model, could be an increase in base RAM, could be a better base video card but whatever it is, it's just the third revision of that model