Thread: When to use FQ

When to use FQ

Just picked up the Fiery Quintessence trinket last week and tried it out.. and to be honest, I'm a little confused. How is this trinket better than Core of Ripeness? And when/how should I be using it to maximize its efficiency? This isn't a troll thread or sarcasm, I'm genuinely curious.

Deleted
    I guess you could use it when you fiend, Mana Hymn, are about to pop rapture etc or for when you just need to do more healing.

Personally, I'd rather have more static trinkets such as Core or DMC:T.

Deleted
    My distain for Fiery Quintessence went down a lot when I realised the 25 second int duration was a guaranteed two procs of rapture and if you're super lucky and tight on the timing, possibly three.

With this trinket up and power torrent, I currently get over 11k mana returned on rapture which is nice, and it helps a lot with Arcane Torrent and fiend and all the rest.

Yes, it's MOSTLY a trinket for regen rather than throughput, but there we go.

I can't offer any advice if you're holy though.

I would, indeed, rather use a trinket like Core, and I do have Tsunami. Askmrrobot told me that FQ is 2nd BiS, but is the only time worthy of using this trinket for DH, HoH, and Fiend?

-Use it for times when big healing is needed
    -Fiend / Hymn for even moar mana gain

Quote Originally Posted by Antonne View Post
    Askmrrobot told me that FQ is 2nd BiS
    I wouldn't trust AskMrRobot. I've heard nothing but bad things about it. And AFAIK, Shard + either of the 391 healing trinkets is BiS for most fights
    Last edited by Vook; 2011-07-31 at 10:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Thing is most people think it's a throughput trinket when as these guys said, it's a mana regen trinket. It's GODLY for Hymn. I can reach the 170k mana mark if I pop my hymn with Power Torrent and FQ. If you're a smiter, you'll also actually gain mana from Archangel.

Would the value of FQ be better if you took the equivalent points of Spirit on the trinket and forged out the equivalent points of Spirit on your gear gaining more desirable stats like haste or mastery and a nice on use that you could macro into a bunch of your spells?

Quote Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
    Thing is most people think it's a throughput trinket when as these guys said, it's a mana regen trinket.
    Er...1150 int is for regen only? =/

If you're a smiter, you'll also actually gain mana from Archangel.
    No, you can't. I did the math a while ago, and you'd need 271,744 max mana to break even from 5 smites -> archangel.

And you don't want to be using flat spirit trinkets as Disc anyways :P
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

Er...1150 int is for regen only? =/
    Well not only, but mostly. A dps can blow an on-use trinket with his other cooldowns, while when a healer blows it he's taking a risk... will he actually need it at that time? It's really hard, at least for me, to coordinate this with the other healers so they don't blow theirs.

No, you can't. I did the math a while ago, and you'd need 271,744 max mana to break even from 5 smites -> archangel.

And you don't want to be using flat spirit trinkets as Disc anyways :P
    Really? My bad then, I guess I got the numbers wrong.

will he actually need it at that time? It's really hard, at least for me, to coordinate this with the other healers so they don't blow theirs.
    Then you need to study encounters more and learn when damage is going to be high. It's not hard to tell when incoming damage is going to spike, for most encounters.

IE, Smoldering Destruction on beth, high volcano stacks on Ryolith (if that happens, which it shouldn't if your raid knows how to drive him), burn phase on Alysrazor, etc. etc.

Then you need to study encounters more and learn when damage is going to be high. It's not hard to tell when incoming damage is going to spike, for most encounters.

IE, Smoldering Destruction on beth, high volcano stacks on Ryolith (if that happens, which it shouldn't if your raid knows how to drive him), burn phase on Alysrazor, etc. etc.
    That I do already. I was thinking when I start pushing HMs and 2 healers blowing a trinket/cd at the same time might actually be detrimental to the raid... Meh, maybe I'm thinking it's more complicated than it actually is.

I tried this out. I like the idea for caster classes with unlimited mana, but I haven't figured out the best way to heal with this thing. Putting on quintessence I lose 320 int, and overall my spirit stays almost the same compared to the DMC:T. That 320 int robs me of about 2% of my healing throughput. The quintessence lets me burst healing true, but triggering it only gives me 7% more for 25 seconds (on a 1:30 cooldown).

Heal with quintessence procced: 9075
    Heal wearing Quintessence: 8473
    Heal wearing DMC:T: 8641
    When i use its proc, that's a 5% throughput gain over DMC:T, with 28% uptime. The other 72% of the time, it's a 2% HPS loss.

Guess what? Average heal if you use quintessence: .28*9075 + .72*8473 = 8641 (NOT a coincidence! same as with DMC:T)

Overall, NO net impact on HPS. Overall HPS, if Quintessence is used every single time it comes off cooldown, is exactly identical to DMC:T. Really, I think blizzard should tweak it to be slightly better, since we won't be using it on cooldown . Heal can be used as a good model here since spell power is normalized for cast time.

In terms of mana return: assume at first that the spirit value of quintessence is the same as that of DMC:T (pretty close, but priests probably lose a few points on quintessence). Now if shadowfiend gives me 30% of my normal mana pool (.3* 105k = 31.5k) but my manapool with quintessence is a bit lower (99.4k) and it lets me get a little more from my shadowfiend (.3 * 118k = 35.4k), then:

manapool in a fight: starting mana + 2 shadowfiends + HoH + mp5
    manapool with quintessence: 99.4k + 35.4k*2 = 170k + mp5 + HoH
    manapool with DMC:T: 105k+31.5k*2 = 168k + mp5 + HoH

As you can see, the quintessence is meant to be a HPS burst, and nearly equal for overall manapool / throughput compared to DMC:T.

If you are having problems with the spiking requirements for any given fight, quintessence makes a solid choice. For some of this content it takes some solid planning to get two fiends in per encounter. But once you start seeing your BiS trinkets, drop it like it's hot.

Now whether to put the DMC:T or the Jaws in your 2nd slot? This one I haven't decided yet. Probably depends on whether you're mana limited.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-08-02 at 12:01 AM.