Deleted

Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair H70?

Since I've been trying to get a new CPU cooler for a while to get my processor overclocked, I've noticed more and more coolers that I want.
    Right now it''s mainly a fight between the H70 & 80 (What's the difference?) And the noctua NH-D14.
    Now, I've been thinking that the closed loop water cooling would be better since I have pretty bad cable management & case ventilation, any help?

You should fix the case ventilation too, or it might cause more problems than just force you to choose between coolers.

Advantage of H70 is that it leaves more room around CPU for RAM sticks and such, but depending on case it might be rather painful to find a place where you can put in the radiator. NH-D14 will perform better when pushing the OC as far as it goes without any extreme cooling solutions, but for simple 4.5GHz it does not matter which way you go.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Hm? Couldn't I just mount the radiator where I have my back fan right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    Hm? Couldn't I just mount the radiator where I have my back fan right now?
    Depends. It's notably thicker than regular fan, and it might be tight/impossible fit depending on motherboard's layout. If you could stack 3 fans in the place, you probably can put the radiator there instead. It can also mess up case airflow even worse if you block the rear exhaust with the radiator, but that shouldn't be a problem for CPU.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    What case are you using? And yes, you should be able to mount the radiator against the back, but that does depend on the size of your case.

And vesse's right about the cable management/ventilation. If you know it's rather poor, just clean it up before you install the new CPU cooler. You want the lowest overall temps possible, not just "good enough." Plus, you may have to clear out some wires to fit the NH-D14, just because of it's sheer size. And if you decide to go with the H70, the Corsair H series coolers' tend to have stiffer tubes, making navigating around a cluttered case a nuisance.

As for which is better? They're both great, but I'd personally go with the NH-D14. When it comes to OC'ing and really pushing your CPU, it yields great idle/load temps.
    Last edited by Arisfarreach; 2011-08-01 at 01:20 AM.

Deleted
    I'm using a CM Elite 335, so cable management is impossible.
    And what do you mean clear out room? There's nothing anywhere near where it would be.

I'm using a CM Elite 335, so cable management is impossible.
    And what do you mean clear out room? There's nothing anywhere near where it would be.
    If your case is not big enough for behind the motherboard tray cable management, I find it impossible to believe you have room for a Noctua tower. That thing is really big. I don't you have a good grasp on just how big it is. It will look like the only thing in your case, IF you are able to get the side to close over it.

Deleted
    The case is 7.28 inches wide, pretty sure the NH-D14 would fit.
    And yes, I know how big it is.
    Some people from Newegg apparently managed to mount it in the case.
    EDIT: According to the manual, the max height of a CPU cooler is 166.66mm, and the Noctua is 160mm.
    Last edited by mmocb39a133b7e; 2011-08-01 at 01:12 AM.

Whether you can fit the noctua in there or not, I would recommend a case upgrade before cooler upgrade. You probably wont have much overclock headroom with either cooler if your case is full of loose cables and only a few small fans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    Whether you can fit the noctua in there or not, I would recommend a case upgrade before cooler upgrade. You probably wont have much overclock headroom with either cooler if your case is full of loose cables and only a few small fans.
    Well, I'm too much of a cheap bastard to buy a new case now, so I won't do that.
    And "full" of loose cables? They're all clumped up to the side, as you can see in my picture in the gaming build thread.
    And this thread was about the difference between the H70,H80 And how they both compare to the NH-D14, nothing about cases.
    I do not mean to be rude, but come on..

Well, I'm too much of a cheap bastard to buy a new case now, so I won't do that.
    And "full" of loose cables? They're all clumped up to the side, as you can see in my picture in the gaming build thread.
    And this thread was about the difference between the H70,H80 And how they both compare to the NH-D14, nothing about cases.
    I am just telling you they will all basically be a waste if your case sucks. That is not a case meant for high heat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with the NH-D14.

Better?