Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i am really confused, is it some sort of competition? thought it was science related, but you make it sound like a competition.
    It is for science, but teams compete to have the biggest score for bragging rights

Deleted
    You won't be number one for long... *evil grin*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    You won't be number one for long... *evil grin*
    once the weather starts cooling down, ima start using all 4 of my gpu's, atm im using one, and only while im not gaming, but it's too hot to run all 4 at 100% right now, but i could always run a standard client on my server and other computer, and a SMP client on my laptop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    You're "defiantly" joining this? Why are you being so "defiant" about it?
    Lol..... Because it was early in the morning (most likely) and Googles Auto Correct kicked in :-)

Deleted
    Right and how much of the information on my PC will be abused by other people in the group and the people hosting this event or people using this network?
    Also can I control the amount this program uses? for I rather always have some unused power.

Err, I don't see why this would use any information on your PC, given that it only asks for a username and a team ID. Neither of those things have to be related to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    Right and how much of the information on my PC will be abused by other people in the group and the people hosting this event or people using this network?
    Also can I control the amount this program uses? for I rather always have some unused power.
    Abused? Your PC folds proteins, I don't see how others can abuse such data. By doing this you help cure diseases.
    The client pretty much has all the settings you need to make it run low profile.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    once the weather starts cooling down, ima start using all 4 of my gpu's, atm im using one, and only while im not gaming, but it's too hot to run all 4 at 100% right now, but i could always run a standard client on my server and other computer, and a SMP client on my laptop
    Oh god... 4 580 cores running at the same time... so much heat...

I am actually rather surprised how fast the GTS250 in this machine chugs through work units. It will have done 3 by the end of today's work hours.

The i3 in the other machine... it won't even have one done by the time I leave. Rofl.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Oh god... 4 580 cores running at the same time... so much heat...

I am actually rather surprised how fast the GTS250 in this machine chugs through work units. It will have done 3 by the end of today's work hours.

The i3 in the other machine... it won't even have one done by the time I leave. Rofl.
    I have noticed very similar, that my i3 takes AGES to do a single WU, but my GTX460 does some nice work. I may just leave it at only running the GPU client and be done with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Abused? Your PC folds proteins, I don't see how others can abuse such data. By doing this you help cure diseases.
    The client pretty much has all the settings you need to make it run low profile.
    I think (s)he means that if the "provider" decides to use your computer as part of a "botnet" for mischievous / malicious actions, you've agreed to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I think (s)he means that if the "provider" decides to use your computer as part of a "botnet" for mischievous / malicious actions, you've agreed to it.
    Not only that but also the tracking of the things I do on my computer (although my very Firefox browser is probally already part of this)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Stanford Uni? Who is so closely monitored by governmental bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    Not only that but also the tracking of the things I do on my computer (although my very Firefox browser is probally already part of this)
    I'm sorry, but paranoid much? If you're on facebook, you've already lost more information to corporations and governments than you wish to believe, and this is a research program run by a stanford university. Might I add they've been doing since at least since 2000. If it had malicious uses, with everyone on here you see using it, as tech savvy as we are, do you think we would still recommend doing it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Governmental bodies? Now I definantly won't be joining that thing :P

I'm sorry, but paranoid much? If you're on facebook, you've already lost more information to corporations and governments than you wish to believe, and this is a research program run by a stanford university. Might I add they've been doing since at least since 2000. If it had malicious uses, with everyone on here you see using it, as tech savvy as we are, do you think we would still recommend doing it?
    I have a facebook account but never use it nor have any info on there.
    You have no idea how paranoid I am O.o

The goal for it can always be changed, but hey I was just asking incase this whole thing turns out to be another Facebook like fraude xD
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2011-08-18 at 05:56 PM.

So I downloaded the main client listed there. It's slow as all hell. =.= Should find another client...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post

lol :P and what is a University full of?

Thats right.... STUDENTS!

Since when has a University ever had even a single year of students that didn't pull pranks?

Doesn't matter what university it is, they're all subject to students wanting a little bit of fun 8-). (I personally don't have a problem with it, just pointing out why some people might be "concerned")

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    So I downloaded the main client listed there. It's slow as all hell. =.= Should find another client...
    There's 2. One for running on spare CPU cycles, and the SMP client, which utilizes your full CPU potential.
    Oh, and there's a GPU client.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's make this happen, a friend in my guild is in the early stages of ALS, and I'd like to see a cure found.

Hmm. With only a 560ti and an i5 2500k I'm not sure which I want to download. Though, being a less avid gamer atm I think I'll do GPU for a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Hmm. With only a 560ti and an i5 2500k I'm not sure which I want to download. Though, being a less avid gamer atm I think I'll do GPU for a bit.
    The GPU client and the low profile CPU client.