Page 1 of 240
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Official Thread] Mists of Pandaria!

The original Mists of Pandaria thread. This is where the PandAmonium started.

While searching for some completely unrelated Titan info, I ran into this name. As far as I can tell, Blizzard has just registered it as a trademark.

Is it something already known ? If not, the timing is pretty sweet, with just a few months before Blizzcon where everyone's expecting some big WoW reveals. Next patch / expansion ?

Code:
    Word Mark MISTS OF PANDARIA
    Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software; computer game discs; computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; computer game software downloadable from a global computer network; downloadable electronic games via the internet and wireless devices; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepadsIC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; providing online news and information in the field of computer games; entertainment services, namely, conducting contests online and providing a website for organizing, planning and executing events between computer game players and interest groups
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 85384110
    Filing Date July 28, 2011
    Current Filing Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Owner (APPLICANT) Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 16215 Alton Parkway Irvine CALIFORNIA 92618

Source: http://tess2.uspto.gov/ - searched for Blizzard Entertainment, looking for some Titan hints hehe.
    Direct Link: http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=85384110 (thanks Creotor)

Apparently most of the direct links tend to expire after a while... so here's a pic (thanks to Herecius)

Relevant observations from posters:

- Blizzard doesn't usually trademark patches.
    - The category that's included in being "computer game software", it's probably not related to TGC.
    - Wrath of the Lich King's trademark was filled on July 28th 2007 and revealed at Blizzcon a few months later (conscript)

[I]If this somehow reaches the frontpage, I would appreciate some small credit to me and my new fresh Titan mmo fansite. If not, np, I still love you Boubouille!

FAQ!

Will it be a game?

Yes. It will be a game, distributed on (amongst others) CD-roms with instruction manuals. So it can't be a Facebook game. It can't be Titan either, since Titan will be new IP (intellectual property) and Pandaran are not.
    This is taken from the actual trademark on the USPTO website:
    Computer game software; computer game discs; computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; computer game software downloadable from a global computer network; downloadable electronic games via the internet and wireless devices; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads
    (source)

Gha, Pandas eh? I heard China doesn't like that. Remember the WC3 beta?

They don't mind, actually. It wasn't about them being pandas but about the armor they were wearing. I'll quote someone who put it in better words than I did (Thanks Callei).
    Chinese-Japanese relations are still in a horrible state, and the Chinese found it highly offensive to put the animal most commonly linked with China in the Eastern and Western subconscious in Japanese armor. The reason they found it offensive is due to the Japanese occupation of China during World War II and the war crimes that happened therein, it would be akin to an anthropomorphic bald eagle being portrayed in a Nazi Gestapo uniform.

So is this going to be the next expansion?

To tell you the truth, only Blizzard knows. But it seems likely. The international class used in the trademark is the same as they used for previous expansions. The timing and information for the Mists of Pandaria trademark matches that of The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Cataclysm. If this is not going to be the expansion, they would really need to hurry to come up with a name and trademark it before they announce it at Blizzcon. Seems risky. Seems unlikely.

But Blizzard said they would never do something with pandas!

They never said that, actually. This is what they said:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    if you look at traditionally how we've handled that race it's been in those secondary products because we haven't realized it in the world. Most of the time when we do anything panda-related it's going to be a comic book or a figurine or something like that.
    What they are basicly saying is yeah, although they have never done it so far, everything is possible. They are not excluding it. As seen by the trademark, they have already showed that it's going to be something related to Pandaria that is not a comic book or a figurine. It's a game.

Added the FAQ, courtesy of XenuMC. Thanks! - Elyaan.
    Last edited by ELYPOP; 2011-09-16 at 06:11 PM.
    titanFocus.info -- news, predictions and place for discussion about Blizzard's upcoming next-gen MMO.

Deleted
    Awesome find.

Edit: I doubt it's a new patch though. Wouldn't that be a bit of a stretch in the lore? And I expect to see atleast one or two pandaren before we see the entire Pandaren kingdom. I'm guessing it's a new expansion, because as Tauror said further down the thread - You don't trademark a patch.

Also, I don't see anything about WoW...
    Last edited by mmoc5fae677d62; 2011-08-02 at 09:49 PM.

Deleted
    This is NOT good for all the Panda fans..

Source please. Making a code with some names and words have to be taken with a grain of salt.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need a source here OP

Where is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't this the April Fools Joke?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by isarogue View Post
    derp

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post

derp
    So OP changed the date? That doesn't make it any more real.

Deleted
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/
    search for pandaria derps

Deleted
    So, third continent involved by mist... There, the mystery is finally gone.

15+ Year Old Account
    I initially thought the same when I saw it. But then I read the filling date. It also wasn't there when I checked a week ago, so it can't be a typo.
    titanFocus.info -- news, predictions and place for discussion about Blizzard's upcoming next-gen MMO.

Funny, I show that patent\trademark "IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038" belonging to Nissan.

http://www.nissan.com/Digest/T.htm

Second one down. Good try though.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Nice find! If they follow their previous format, we will have 5 more levels and a new class in this expansion.

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software; computer game discs; computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; computer game software downloadable from a global computer network; downloadable electronic games via the internet and wireless devices; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepadsIC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; providing online news and information in the field of computer games; entertainment services, namely, conducting contests online and providing a website for organizing, planning and executing events between computer game players and interest groups
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Serial Number 85384110
    Current Filing Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Owner (APPLICANT) Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 16215 Alton Parkway Irvine CALIFORNIA 92618
    Attorney of Record Rod A. Rigole
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

It was MMO Champions joke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonzi View Post
    Funny, I show that patent\trademark "IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038" belonging to Nissan.

http://www.nissan.com/Digest/T.htm

Second one down. Good try though.
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Serial Number 85384110
    Current Filing Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Attorney of Record Rod A. Rigole
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Thats what I found, I think you might be trolling

I just looked up pandaria on that site and sure enough it matches the OP's claim. Problem is their search results are imbedded so you cant make a link(or at least I couldnt).

Oooooooh.. this could be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/
    search for pandaria derps
    Sounds more like a patch.

Nice find anyway.

Or maybe Blizzard is trying to lead us the wrong ways?

this is very interesting indeed, also searched for keyword world of warcraft and I found a (dead) trademark called WoW Census, wonder if it is a scraped expantion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Sounds more like a patch.
    You don't trademark a patch...