Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nythion View Post
    Jazzhands: What i'm talking about are people that strive for progression either in pve or pvp. This is the raid section so this was mostly for the idea of pve but this exists in pvp as well. An elitist is a person who plays for a high amount of time in a day and tries to get 2400 in an arena season or heroic cho'gal for an example. And while some people who are good at this game ARE assholes you can't force this opinion on the few "elitists" that are. Elitism can be a good thing or a bad thing. And while I agree about the elitists that are the assholes should be ridiculed because as I stated above, some just can't play their class.

But take my guild blood legion for example, we're on heroic ragnaros and do everything in our power to help the illidan server as a whole. We aren't jerks, and most of the time we're on the world of warcraft forums helping people out. And while one person may let something slip and call people a noob, it is infact just a game and most of the elitists that strive for high progression. Will help people out, just look at the elitist jerks forum and while they have strict rules. There's some really good info in there.
    So you're part of the elite than. That isn't being an elitist. Being overly stuck up with a poor attitude and paying little to no attention of other people's opinions is being elitist.

Elitist have a social stigma because they act with an air of superiority and mistreat any other player who they feel don't meet their standards. By saying people need to stop hating you and turning around and saying warcraft is going to end up a game played with your penis you aren't helping your case.

Pride. People in this game, and others are too damn proud and stubborn to accept someone better than them is giving them advice.

I got called elitist because I told a warrior he needed to stop gemming arp...he was at like 145% with gear and gems. I told him it was worthless stats after 100% and he should gem Str..but no I got called elitist. And I honestly didn't tell him he was wrong in an arrogant way. It was some random's in a h-daily back in Wrath.

sigh..

Why shouldn't better people give advice or tell someone how to do something if they're doing it wrong? That person will benefit so wth.

Anyway, people throw the word around a lot. I don't consider myself elitist but I've been told I am. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Because of their "I am better than you" attitude. Atleast when the one saying things like that is quite horrible.
    That's a good point there but let me add one thing. How are they better than you? Beacuse they got farther? How do you think they got that far? By dedication? If you're good at the piano and singing for example you're going to have an i'm better than you attitude because you're great at piano. See what i'm getting at? They don't say i'm better than you to be assholes (some do I agree).

Some of the "elite" do in fact try to help people and sometimes they say "you're a noob" because sometimes you are. People give up teaching after a while when their student isn't showing any progress.
    Last edited by Nythion; 2011-08-02 at 10:32 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    true elitst people are hated plain and simple because they know better, people dont like to be told what to do even if it makes them survive not standing in the fire

I can't really put it any other way than that
    '

Eh, not exactly. You're talking about a good player, who understands how to Min\max and is good at figuring out tactics, such as the people at tankspot.

Elitists are hated because they act as "omg I'm so much better than you" and it gets annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    When most people say elitists, they mean condescending assholes. People who think they are better then you because they've progressed further then you, perform better, ect.

Not all elitists are this way, but sometimes it seems the majority of them are.
    I see no problems with the bolded statement above. I'm not going to consider someone my equal who has put LESS effort into the game as I have and progressed even less.

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

the reason i hate elitists is because they think they are cool and better than everybody else due to their skill in beating pixelated bosses. there is basically no skill in the world more irrelevant and useless than that, yet they actually think its cool to be top wow player and call people who arent good at the game "noobs". when an "elitist" comes onto the forums, i am not filled with awe at their videogaming prowess like some people on this game are, i am filled with distaste at being in the presence of such an utter loser. and i guess that makes me an elitist too. go figure.

Deleted
    I'd like to think that if I were ever to get a random dungeon with the members of Paragon they wouldn't stand around going "zomg mage, why do you only do 22k dps?", that they'd get on with things and not be so concerned with looking good that they feel the need to point out everything that anybody does incorrectly. Elitists are the opposite of this, and they're never as good as they think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Juikkinen View Post
    Common sense. Its clearly

You have more rating/progression than me = you have no life

You have worse ratings/progression than me = you are bad
    =) this pretty much sums up how people view everything and everyone in wow/general gaming these days.
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

I'm fine with elitists, but not so much elitist jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Asatru View Post
    I see no problems with the bolded statement above. I'm not going to consider someone my equal who has put LESS effort into the game as I have and progressed even less.
    I agreed with this statement also. It isn't that elitists think they're better than everyone else it's just that sometimes they are at "certain" things. Nobody can pick up this game and be 2600 in arena cleared every raid, did every thing, and have every achivement it's just impossible. People who say "I'm the best because I cleared such and such" in my book are not elitist they're just wannabe's.

back in early 3.3 I had people post on the warcraft forums saying how they're the best because they cleared marrowgar reg on 10 man..... and elitist or not I think everyone on these forums can agree that marrowgar was a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elite != Elitist
    "Brevity is...wit"

Same as above poster

agree with those too. I know what the definition of elitist is. It's just that thanks to the great staff at elitist jerks everyone whos elite thinks they're elitist now.

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Elite != Elitist
    quotet for thruth, mr. tealish colored bird with a monocle in his pocket

When I think of an elitist, I think of someone who self proclaims to be really good and goes on to brag about it. If you're good at this game, you do not need to go around and spread it let it be known by actions. I also think of someone who is really bossy/smartass about anything to make themselves feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarios View Post
    When I think of an elitist, I think of someone who self proclaims to be really good and goes on to brag about it. If you're good at this game, you do not need to go around and spread it let it be known by actions. I also think of someone who is really bossy/smartass about anything to make themselves feel better.
    yup totally, somebody who is truly "elite" isnt being referred to as an "elitist" ! they are more commonly called "real live badass" in my terminology! (and i mean live as in living, not as in life ).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    When most people say elitists, they mean condescending assholes. People who think they are better then you because they've progressed further then you, perform better, ect.

Not all elitists are this way, but sometimes it seems the majority of them are.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. There are the Greats, and there are the Elitists. The Greats work hard and perform well, meeting their own ends and being satisfied. The Elitist works hard and performs well in order to lord it over the Not-So-Greats and the Mediocre, while being deluded into the fact that they're a special butterfly for doing something that outside this (or any other) game most people will think you just wasted a lot of time for pixels.
    Be reasonable. You might be right, you could be wrong, but either way most people won't change their minds if you keep shouting at them.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bad players like to be defensive and never think they're wrong even if confronted with factual evidence of how they messed up. I don't even try to give people tips in random dungeons anymore; even if I use the most customer service sugar coated super duper extra nice helpful tone humanly possible people are still invariably offended. It's pretty frustrating.
    Narfwak - Elemental Shaman
    <FH>
    Black Dragonflight-US

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rfwak/advanced

This is a joke right?

Q: How could people complain about the arrogant and not appreciate people who waste their time?

A: Logic, human morals and a proper view on value of not wasting time in a game