10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] The Thing

Well I searched and didn't see a topic on this, so what do you guys think of the new prequel to 'the thing' coming out soon? Personally, I'm pretty pumped. I was a huge fan of the first movie and I'm interested to see how things go down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Looks very promising, hopefully it won't turn out terrible like 99% of all Hollywood remakes.

Spoiler (Highlight): Pie

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    Looks very promising, hopefully it won't turn out terrible like 99% of all Hollywood remakes.

Spoiler (Highlight): Pie
    You and me both. God knows they've ruined the rest of my childhood -_-'

SPOILERS AHEAD:

The thing(no pun intended) is, do we actually need it? Don't get me wrong, the previous one is excellent, but...the previous one basically already established what happened-everyone died. So, doesn't that sorta take a lot of the suspense out of it? We already know everyone is gonna die(except for that one dude who escapes and then dies in the original), so the question of "who will live and who will die" is basically rendered pointless. So basically, we get the same plot, and we already know the ending so...why should we watch this instead of just watching Carpenter's version?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    SPOILERS AHEAD:

The thing(no pun intended) is, do we actually need it? Don't get me wrong, the previous one is excellent, but...the previous one basically already established what happened-everyone died. So, doesn't that sorta take a lot of the suspense out of it? We already know everyone is gonna die(except for that one dude who escapes and then dies in the original), so the question of "who will live and who will die" is basically rendered pointless. So basically, we get the same plot, and we already know the ending so...why should we watch this instead of just watching Carpenter's version?
    It's a fair point, but I don't think the ending matters as much as the journey toward it. It probably will have a lot of throwbacks to the original, but it'll be interesting to see how a different team will deal with the thing. Plus, Lucy McClane vs The Thing....come on!

The only thing i see wrong from the preveiw is they won't have the loaded suspense like they did in the old one. There won't be those quite pausesthat really drew you in in the first and you didn't really know what was going on either. You saw them figure it out which they don't do anymore in movies, someone happens to be an internet expert on this random and pretty much unknown topic and they inform the rest and then they try to survive/defeat it.

I'm not gonna hold my breath with this one. I think of Dead Space as a real spiritual successor more than the remakes...

At least it's not a remake. You already know that most remakes end the same as the original and if they don't you just feel cheated.

Deleted
    It's not going to be as evil as the 1982 John Carpenter remake, that film scared the crap out of me, and it still holds its own today as one the best twisted horror films ever made.

This new one, I think will just be a fun pizza movie - the first one felt cheap and rough around the edges like Alien did which imo adds to the charm of horror movies, this looks all polished, i'm kinda surprised its not coming at us in "3D"

It just had to have a cute, young American girl in it, and the Norwegians speak perfect English, oh its a 15 --

Popcorn Movie....Lets just hope Prometheus, gives us that true original scare that old one used too.. Because this wont..

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    SPOILERS AHEAD:

My sentiments exactly. At least they're not remaking the original one, but a prequel isn't really needed, much in the way The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning wasn't really needed (in addition to the remake being terrible).

Quote Originally Posted by Kathoris View Post
    The only thing i see wrong from the preveiw is they won't have the loaded suspense like they did in the old one. There won't be those quite pausesthat really drew you in in the first and you didn't really know what was going on either. You saw them figure it out which they don't do anymore in movies, someone happens to be an internet expert on this random and pretty much unknown topic and they inform the rest and then they try to survive/defeat it.
    Yeah, the suspense factor is gone which will really bring the potential down for the story. As others have said if you have seen the original *spoiler warning* you know everyone died but 1 guy.

I haven't read much about this movie and reading this thread I am just learning that it is a prequel... perhaps a sequel would have been better so that you could still have the suspense and the unknown.

Wasn't aware that there was a prequel coming but I really like the 80s version :| Hopefully this prequel wont be a letdown.

The Thing is easily one of my favorite movies. That said, I'm going to try and go see the prequel with close to no expectations. Hopefully, it won't be an abysmal failure.

From early reviews, it seems that the movie has captured the air of paranoia from the first one, though.

It looks pretty scary and can't wait to see it.I loved John Carpenter's The Thing especially the scene when that head grew spider legs and started walking away.

*Warning*If you get squeamish at gore do not watch this clip!!
    Last edited by Maleagant; 2011-10-07 at 06:27 PM.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Deleted
    Can't see the point myself - even a complete remake isn't needed because the original JC version still gives me the creeps.

Looks awesome plus it has Wendy Christensen starring. 'The Thing' is one of my favourite horror movies.

Quote Originally Posted by MorTvicR View Post
    It just had to have a cute, young American girl in it, and the Norwegians speak perfect English, oh its a 15 --
    Supposedly, the Norwegians do NOT speak perfect English, there's a team of Americans dispatched to investigate or whatever, and according to the director, part of the suspense is supposed to be the language barrier. We'll see if that's true.

And at least in the US, the rating is R, same as the Carpenter version.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleagant View Post
    It looks pretty scary and can't wait to see it.I loved John Carpenter's The Thing especially the scene when that head grew spider legs and started walking away.

*Warning*If you get squeamish at gore do not watch this clip!!

Lol, I love that scene. Best part of the movie, next to the doctor getting his arms bitten off just before that scene. Anyways, Hollywood ruins all movies that are remakes. Very rarely does a remake come out and it surpasses the original. And this goes for prequels as well. I always thought a prequel should show you the events that led up to the first movie, but instead the prequel will have different characters, a story that has little or nothing to do with the main plot of the original movie, and of course it will either start or end leaving you asking more questions. Now as for the prequel to "The Thing" I don't wanna get my hopes up but it does look really good. It may not be as gruesome as John Carpenter's "the Thing" but if the story is good and the action/suspense scenes can keep me at the edge of my seat, then awesome, if not...meh, nothing new there.